Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why should we care that it's Ramadan? Watch

ReputationRep:
    we? I certainly don't care about Ramadan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Roast)
    wow i miscalculated. it is very tiny.

ReputationRep:
    Why should Muslims celebrate their holy month which is the most important time of the year for them.
    How greedy and selfish.

ReputationRep:
    The whole birth of Jesus thing... you know the manger, angel Gabriel...
    yes i am aware for the lead up of Jesus' birth there's advent calendars everywhere (even I buy them and I'm not christian) so there's literally no religious aspect of christmas left everything has been turned into ways that they can make money from

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loveleest)
    thanks for being honest

literally this guy is making such a big deal of acting like muslims are selfish for observing this holy month, no one is asking you to care so why make a whole thread about it making it seem like we're forcing you to acknowledge it....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes)
    https://authoritynutrition.com/10-he...ttent-fasting/

You should try it, it might repair some of your brain cells!
    I will stick to conventional proven science over your pseudo science thanks (Keeps my brain cells healthy and makes discussion with you easier than taking candy from a baby)

http://www.waterbenefitshealth.com/water-and-brain.html

ReputationRep:
    Who's ever said you should care about it? However much the media cover the fact that its Ramadan doesn't immediately equate to them forcing you to care about anything. And before you can say that it's covered so much to an extent; No, it's not.

Anyway, you're not religious, why waste the time asking questions like these? You're obviously not looking for any reasonable answers to your 'question', except for ones that go alongside what you already think, am i right?

ReputationRep:
    I don't get why we (society/mainstream media) care so much about a holy month?
    Nobody asked you to care.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quantex)
    But if we aren't made aware that Ramadan is happening, how will we know when to troll the Muslim neighbours with food smells?

I've taken to baking bread every afternoon.
    You are so funny.

ReputationRep:
    No one calls it Sawm anymore that's all i care about

ReputationRep:
    I don't care.

I'm also not bothered by it.

ReputationRep:
    Good for you
    :unimpressed:

ReputationRep:
    No one cares about you, or your own existence

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincessBO$$)
    Good for you
    :unimpressed:

ok?
    I'm not a Muslim, so why would I care? I'm not supposed to...

ReputationRep:
    ok?
    I'm not a Muslim, so why would I care? I'm not supposed to...
    I never said care.
    I just said GOOD FOR U.
    So.....
    Spoiler:
    Show
    GOOD FOR U THAT U DON'T CARE NO ONE ASKED U TO CARE GIRL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kutta)
    But that's just your opinion not societies because unfortunately you are not a spokesperson for society....

Personally I care about when its Christmas, Holi, Diwali, Easter etc even though I don't celebrate it because - 1 - its good to know - 2 - so I can wish my friends from other religions and buy them presents
    It is demonstrably true about British society in general because most of Britain isn't Muslim. It's likely that most people who don't know any Muslims would have no clue it's Ramadan. If I didn't have an account on TSR then I genuinely wouldn't know it either. However, something like Christmas is unavoidable because it's all over the TV and in shops etc.

ReputationRep:
    We? You want everyone to think like you?

ReputationRep:
    I don't quite understand this post as I've not seen anything really to do with Ramadan, tbh, if it wasn't for me having Muslim friends, I probably wouldn't even know it was Ramadan. Anyway, whats the problem, its good to see different religions expressing their faith and showing that its their holy month or whatever, I do with Christmas and lent, and its a good way for for others to learn about that religion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Betelgeuse-)
    Because a large percent of the population are starving and dehyrdating themselves during the day time. Its bad for production, bad for business, bad for practicing education and in some instances bad for the NHS because Muslims who refuse to take medication such as tablets because they cant drink water. (Before you say the old, sick are exempt... these are anecdotes i have heard from GP's)

I imagine soon we will have to make accommodations to negate some of these effects likely to the detriment and inconvenience of the wider population (I think exams were touted as being moved etc)
    I have many muslim friends and they have said that it is advised to break your fast if you have to take a medication. Same applies if you are travelling, pregnant, not feeling well due to menstruation, and like a million other things!

They're not as strict as they seem. Most of the people I know do not fast if they have to go to school.

About accommodating them, I don't think we need to. If they're not eating, it's none of our business lol. It'd be the opposite if they had to, say, eat 5 burgers a day. Then the places that sell burgers would have to accommodate the increase in demand.

Other than restaurants, I don't see how it's bad for business. It's not like they hibernate! LOL

ReputationRep:
    I don't see how other people abstaining from food affects me in the slightest. Like some other people said, if it weren't for my Muslim friends I wouldn't have known it was Ramadan. And even now that I know, so what? It's like knowing about Chinese New Year. It's a thing that happens. Not really my business.

My business is Christmas :xmas: :groovy:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.