Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Should the 'Foundation' option in GCSEs be withdrawn, particularly for core subjects? watch

• View Poll Results: Do you think everyone should do the Higher Tier?
    Yes, they're getting a pass with minimal effort
    42.22%
    No, some people struggle to attain a C
    53.33%
    I'm not sure
    4.44%

ReputationRep:
    Some people aren't good at maths or English or science or what have you. That's just the way it works. I'm terrible at Maths - granted, I was moved to higher in Year 10, but only because I scraped a B once. You people should want your fellow students to get Cs. Why are you all being so snotty and snobby and callous? It's not 'easy' to get a C in Foundation, it's harder because the whole reason they're in the bloody set is because they find it hard, and thus requires more work. Just because a person just isn't good at a certain subject doesn't mean they're being lazy. Try and tell my dyslexic friend who came from a childhood where he wasn't taught to read and write years after his fellow pupils were that he's stupid and lazy. Because he isn't, and he's working his arse off to get a C in English because he's ambitious and wants a good future which unfortunately seems to lie on good grades. You're no better than anyone in Foundation and certainly no more intelligent if you think they're lower than you because intelligence and good grades are so different.
    Students feel enormous pressure as it is without their bloody peers telling them they're lazy morons.

ReputationRep:
    I believe that everyone should do the same paper. IMO, exams are a measurement of academic ability. If a student fails to succeed in their exams despite their hard work then it is clear that academics is not the path for them and they should look towards another path in life rather than advancing onto academics. Therefore, they should consider doing something along the lines of going straight into work, the military (although the military does have a huge range of academic ability, especially army officers who have graduated from Oxbridge), apprenticeships rather than them doing something which is not suited to them. Think of it like a harsh reality check. Education is not always the key to success in life.

ReputationRep:
    The whole content of gcse English and maths could do with being overhauled in order to make it more useful for everyone, and more worthwhile considering it is compulsory for college and employment. But 'analysing poetry/newspapers/spoken language' and algebra in maths have no use whatsoever for real life for those who need to simply pass those subjects. English should focus more on writing skills and particularly spelling and maths needs more real life context such as calculating interest, bills and taxes etc. Save all the algebra and English analysis for A level.

I think the only worthwhile subjects in terms of gcse content are science and languages. Geography was also a bit odd - a lot of theory and case studies but i bet many would have passed without being able to name a single continent, country etc. I didn't do history but those who did seem to have been caught up with 'sources' more than any actual history content.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think that everybody should do the higher tier, but the grades should go from A* to G, instead of A* - D. Despite common belief, I have to say that it is harder to attain a C in the foundation paper than the higher, since while the questions may be easier, the grade boundaries are a lot harsher. I've never got a C in a foundation paper, while I have many times in higher papers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RJDG14)
    I think that everybody should do the higher tier, but the grades should go from A* to G, instead of A* - D. Despite common belief, I have to say that it is harder to attain a C in the foundation paper than the higher, since while the questions may be easier, the grade boundaries are a lot harsher. I've never got a C in a foundation paper, while I have many times in higher papers.
    Hahaha loser

ReputationRep:
    It depends really, as the problem with foundation you have to get more marks, as with higher you need less, i've sat foundation GCSE science exams in 2016 and chemisitry was hard!

ReputationRep:
    if u cant pass to the same standards as everyone else u dont deserve a pass.
    it needs to be gone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bj1)
    The whole content of gcse English and maths could do with being overhauled in order to make it more useful for everyone, and more worthwhile considering it is compulsory for college and employment. But 'analysing poetry/newspapers/spoken language' and algebra in maths have no use whatsoever for real life for those who need to simply pass those subjects. English should focus more on writing skills and particularly spelling and maths needs more real life context such as calculating interest, bills and taxes etc. Save all the algebra and English analysis for A level.

I think the only worthwhile subjects in terms of gcse content are science and languages. Geography was also a bit odd - a lot of theory and case studies but i bet many would have passed without being able to name a single continent, country etc. I didn't do history but those who did seem to have been caught up with 'sources' more than any actual history content.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    whats the point in learning about waves in physics?
    whats the point in learning about ww1 in history?
    whats the point in learning regression in statistics?
    whats the point in learning about networks in computing?

...it won't help me in real life.

you can make the argument 'it won't help me in real life' for practically every GCSE subjects.

ReputationRep:
    Couldn't agree more.

ReputationRep:
    The amount of hypocrisy stirring in this thread is absolutely baffling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Evilstr99)
    The amount of hypocrisy stirring in this thread is absolutely baffling.
    spot on, most people here don't realise what they're saying.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.