Girls: Why do you wear tights in the summer?

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drex50)
    I don't understand
    I just meant that nude socks would work if you're wearing trousers or very long skirts that would cover the line where your socks meet your legs. If you're wearing anything shorter, people can clearly see you're wearing nude socks, which in my opinion isn't very cute, but of course it doesn't mean people *can't* wear nude socks.

ReputationRep:
    I wear tights (generally black, navy blue or grey, because I don't like nude tights on me) even in summer because:

a) I loathe my body and need to cover it up, and I feel like my legs look very slightly less fat and disgusting in tights.
    b) I am ridiculously pale and bare pale legs just isn't gonna happen
    c) I usually wear pretty short flippy skater skirts and feel like tights give a bit more modesty
    d) Tights feels smarter for work
    e) I get cold easily anyway, so more warmth
    f) And finally, shoes all seem to hurt my feet. So a bit of protection between foot and shoe is nice.

ReputationRep:
    I like getting my legs out tbh like nice and cool and nice to show some flesh given tights hide it for the rest of the year and I imagine tights in this weather is really sweaty ! :/

ReputationRep:
    Tights are alright, and they go with lots of my clothes, but I prefer skinny jeans, high-waisted jeans, and ripped jeans, but not the loose-type, they just ugleh.

ReputationRep:
    I just really don't like my legs that much, so I always wear black tights with skirts and dresses that are above the knee. That being said, I'll usually be found in jeans anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reachin4TheStars)
    Tights are alright, and they go with lots of my clothes, but I prefer skinny jeans, high-waisted jeans, and ripped jeans, but not the loose-type, they just ugleh.
    you prefer skinny jeans? they look amazing in white on girls

ReputationRep:
    Yupp i have a pair of white skinny rippe jeans ❤️

ReputationRep:
    Yupp i have a pair of white skinny ripped jeans ❤️

ReputationRep:
    Yupp i have a pair of white skinny ripped jeans ❤️
    Yupp i have a pair of white skinny rippe jeans ❤️
    Are you sure?

ReputationRep:
    ok honestly there are 2 reasons

1: we haven't done (wax shave epilate whatever) our legs maybe

2) we've been told that tights make dresses look more decent - ok sometimes i get it, some skirts just fly up in the wind and tights are our saving grace. but also sometimes it's just older ladies in society who present this philosophy that somehow bare legs look too informal (?) even though a thin layer off stretchy, semi opaque fabric really doesn't change much, especially when it's a skirt or dress that would never take off in the wind or reveal anything if you bend all the way down

ReputationRep:
    ok honestly there are 2 reasons

1: we haven't done (wax shave epilate whatever) our legs maybe

2) we've been told that tights make dresses look more decent - ok sometimes i get it, some skirts just fly up in the wind and tights are our saving grace. but also sometimes it's just older ladies in society who present this philosophy that somehow bare legs look too informal (?) even though a thin layer off stretchy, semi opaque fabric really doesn't change much, especially when it's a skirt or dress that would never take off in the wind or reveal anything if you bend all the way down

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure?
    Lool yh my phone was f'ed up but yh I do 😂

ReputationRep:
    I don't feel comfortable having my legs on show, not for modestly reasons. I just don't think it looks good on me as I have bulky thighs, tights can make them appear slimmer. I also have really uneven skin tone all over my body, so don't like having my skin on show. I've recently started buying longer skirts that go past the knees though and I don't wear tights with those.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1999_student)
    and agree tights are uncomfy
    Just seen this

Noooooo

ReputationRep:
    - I don't like my legs
    - I don't want to/haven't shaved
    - I like the way tights look
    - the skirt is too short to be appropriate
    - I don't want people to see my underwear
    - it's too warm for jeans but too cold for bare legs (because when is Britain ever warm enough?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ConicalFlask)
    - I don't like my legs
    - I don't want to/haven't shaved
    - I like the way tights look
    - the skirt is too short to be appropriate
    - I don't want people to see my underwear
    - it's too warm for jeans but too cold for bare legs (because when is Britain ever warm enough?)
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Being a guy I don't know what it's like to wear tights but I imagine not very comfortable. My girlfriend/fiancee absolutely hates them. She says if you normally go bare legged your legs get acclimatised to colder weather so you're just as warm as someone who normally wears tights or even trousers.

ReputationRep:
    I used to wear these leggings from Boots that were a bit like tights. I work nights and in winter it get's too much having to work outside for hours.

Boots don't seem to sell them anymore, so I bought 100 denier tights instead and they're just as comfy and also keep the feet a bit warmer too.

ReputationRep:
    Because they look good & it's not that hot, tights are also quite thin so they don't make you feel that hot.

ReputationRep:
    bump :rofl:

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 27, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.