Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleepysnooze)
    because you are actually entertaining the nonsense like this claim that immigrants come here for benefits! :lol:
    So rather than take the mick and laugh at me why don't you explain and educate? That way you might help the remain campaign???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KatieBlogger)
    So rather than take the mick and laugh at me why don't you explain and educate? That way you might help the remain campaign???
    I already did educate you - then you shouted at me for it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KatieBlogger)
    EU immigrants are 43% less likely to claim benefits than British people, and contribute 34% more in taxes than they took in benefits. As a group, they make proportionally the biggest contribution to our economy, with the smallest contribution made by British natives.

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/news-arti...salt-dustmann/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by offhegoes)
    Why would I vote Leave?
    I can think of a reason or two.. :innocent:

ReputationRep:
    Delighted with the result, without Scotland sneaking in the back door with 1.4million voting Leave that helped push the Leave to win and still managed to make it look like a majority Remain which it was oh course. Very clever indeed. no wonder Westminster is stunned with the result, they never saw that one coming.

ReputationRep:
    Question for anyone really, but I imagine a Leave person would be beat able to answer this:

Why would I vote Leave?

Specifically, what would change for the better for me if the UK left the EU? I'm curious to see if there's anything significant. I'm looking for more than pure speculation by the way
    It'd force a change in party leadership (done).
    It'd force the EU to rethink it's abysmally bureaucratic system (getting there).
    It'd also potentially allow more control over UK borders which would get net immigration down and help lower the cost of living (fingers crossed).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanL_)
    EU immigrants are 43% less likely to claim benefits than British people, and contribute 34% more in taxes than they took in benefits. As a group, they make proportionally the biggest contribution to our economy, with the smallest contribution made by British natives.

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/news-arti...salt-dustmann/
    But in a country which hasn't made enough housing for the demand since hte 1970's, having a net increase in immigration is not plausible. Beyond that, that figure does not take into account issues such as overcrowding in medical services and other public services. Nor does it consider what is lost in VAT if their earnings are sent back home.

ReputationRep:
    --

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geoking)
    It'd force a change in party leadership (done).
    It'd force the EU to rethink it's abysmally bureaucratic system (getting there).
    It'd also potentially allow more control over UK borders which would get net immigration down and help lower the cost of living (fingers crossed).
    So we get Boris and Scotland gets less immigrants?

Oh great, just what we need...

ReputationRep:
    So we get Boris and Scotland gets less immigrants?

Oh great, just what we need...
    Boris or May, which is better than the man who isn't following the party manifesto.

Scottish immigrants? What? Net immigration for the UK needs to come down to keep home ownership plausible.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.