Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are you a splurger or a saver? Watch

• View Poll Results: Are you a splurger or a saver?
    Slurger
    30.85%
    Saver
    69.15%

• Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    Ive had family take the piss out of me for it, but i wouldnt be any other way.
    I come from a family of cheapskates so no one ever says anything about. Why would they do that, they should be encouraging saving surely?:P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Have both of you used it being a reward as an excuse for spending money?
    No. Maybe. I don't know. :getmecoat:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Are you a psychologist? :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    I come from a family of cheapskates so no one ever says anything about. Why would they do that, they should be encouraging saving surely?:P
    My family are all savers as well, but im by far the biggest cheap skate in my house, which is why i get a bit of stick for it. Im well known for being a proper tight wad.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by ||TheUnknown||)
    No. Maybe. I don't know. :getmecoat:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Are you a psychologist? :mmm:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    No i'd make a pretty bad psychologist really, i just thought that was a common excuse for splurges:P
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    My family are all savers as well, but im by far the biggest cheap skate in my house, which is why i get a bit of stick for it. Im well known for being a proper tight wad.
    I think there's certainly nothing wrong with that, they should take after you

ReputationRep:
    I think there's certainly nothing wrong with that, they should take after you
    Yeah, i think i should teach them a lesson or 2, haha.

ReputationRep:
    It amazing what thou spend on nothing.

I worked out I've spent around a tenner on coffee today.

ReputationRep:
    Thats quite the ninja savings:P
    Very ninja, i've spent like £1.80 of it on 1.2 kg of raw prawn crackers which i cooked about 10 big bowls in total for all the boarding house i live in for

ReputationRep:
    Bit of both more towards splurging if I had to choose one
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Big white)
    Very ninja, i've spent like £1.80 of it on 1.2 kg of raw prawn crackers which i cooked about 10 big bowls in total for all the boarding house i live in for
    Where do you buy raw prawn crackers from? I would love to be able to cook them on demand.

ReputationRep:
    I think you'd need a serious clear out or a storage place near your uni, is anything out of fashion or something you would never wear anymore?

Have both of you used it being a reward as an excuse for spending money?
    Both

ReputationRep:
    On a fun note, my rather non-PC family nickname given to my brother for years has been "The Jew", because I am "good with money". My brother thought it would be a great idea to include a few jokes about how I am Jewish into his best man speech, despite half the people in attendance not being aware of this colourful nickname, and now pretty much all my wive's friends/family think my brother is an anti-semite.

ReputationRep:
    What's wrong with basic brands? If its food, salt and pepper and some spices and you'll forget how cheap the product is:P
    I didn't say there was, hence the "almost". I do not use salt or pepper in my food and if I do buy spices I buy quality ones because they test better than the basic brand. What I pretty much always buy 'basic' are things like cotton buds, towels etc. toiletries, not food. Like some have said on here that they were raised with mainly basic brand products in the house, I was raised the opposite and that is what I am used to. I prefer branded things because they're more expensive for a reason, they're better quality. I tried to downgrade when I started university to save money, and in many areas it just wasn't worth it. I'd rather spend more and get my money's worth.

ReputationRep:
    Both. I'll save for ages then splurge on my family

ReputationRep:
    I'm a saver

ReputationRep:
    Where do you buy raw prawn crackers from? I would love to be able to cook them on demand.
    My from a chinese shop in town where i'm currently living.

ReputationRep:
    I used to be a huge saver, it was like a challenge each month to see how much I could optimize each month's savings. I used to try not to dabble in things expensive, as I know once I had it, I'd want more. If I didn't know about the benefits, I wouldn't desire it.

After a while people were encouraging me to splash a little from time to time to treat myself - I was in my young 20s with £1000s of expendable income each month, surely that was the best time to go and enjoy life? So I decided to go to restaurants, holidays, buy a new Mercedes, etc. Now I live a lavish lifestyle (by a Bristolian from a poor family's standards) and find it hard to go back to living a more simple life where I'd be saving for more important things. As with anything, neither extreme is necessarily good for you, it's important to find a balance. We can get more out of life if we refrain from classifying "spending" as something binary.

ReputationRep:
    I will buy expensive stuff but only when I need it, so I wouldn't say I splurge. I always have savings as well, so I'm a mixture really. I would prefer to have fewer expensive things than loads of cheap stuff. I guess it's just the way I have been brought up. I will splurge on Christmas presents though, I love Christmas!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Saver, mostly. I then managed to spend a stupid amount (about £800) in the last week...

ReputationRep:
    I'm a saver on the whole.

If I go out to town, I will spend my money only in charity shops [apart from for clothes- I depend on gift cards and my mother to buy those. I'm able to as a 16 year old ], and restaurants. But I go on my own so it's cheap.

I typically make sure to always have at least £5 in my wallet, considering I get £15-£45 a week for a paper round. I put 60% into the bank, save any 1s, 2s and 5ps in my Eiffel Tower jar, and the rest I spend over the week. If I get a sudden burst, such as covering, and I get £30 instead of £15, I might run to the car boot and treat myself.

But I typically spend as little as I can. I've never bought a bus ticket, and walk and cycle everywhere within my home town. I don't yet have a car- obviously- but I will only use it for long journeys, such as to London or away for holidays.

Overall though I am terrible for collecting. I have around £570 worth of CDs [About 1.2k altogether]. But I will ONLY buy CDs, books, DVDs etc. from car boot sales or charity shops.

Saying that, I got a BARGAIN today. A Latin grammar book for 49p.

Little did the woman at the charity shop know that it was from 1857 and had Madvig's autograph in it!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 19, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.