Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Goodbye, A*. :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 98matt)
    The volume of revolution involved two trig equations. You had to spot that:
    sin²x+cos²x = 1 (very easy)

sinxcosx + sinxcosx = sin2x (double angle formula thing)

then a simple integration to get 3.73

Posted from TSR Mobile
    ok so i was really stupid and didn't spot that sin^2x + cos^2x = 1, used the whole rearranged double angle formula to integrate, and then integrated sin2x but i did get 3.73, so i just did it the really long way around, would i still get the 6 marks?

ReputationRep:
    Can someone quote me when there is an unofficial mark scheme? Thanks

(Original post by nh98)
    ok so i was really stupid and didn't spot that sin^2x + cos^2x = 1, used the whole rearranged double angle formula to integrate, and then integrated sin2x but i did get 3.73, so i just did it the really long way around, would i still get the 6 marks?
    You probably would. It's still a correct method, and that gets you the marks unless it contradicts explicit instructions in the question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mango88)
    I integrated sin2x to get -cos2x/2, is that right?
    Yes that's correct. Did you remember to integrate "1" into "x" also? If so, then you must've mistyped the numbers on your calculator - most likely 5/6 marks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 98matt)
    Yes that's correct. Did you remember to integrate "1" into "x" also? If so, then you must've mistyped the numbers on your calculator - most likely 5/6 marks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah i did!! That's not too bad then, thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nh98)
    Glad I'm not the only one did this. I was happy when others got the same answer 3.73 but when people started mentioning sin^2x + cos^2x = 1, I was thinking I just got really lucky.

Did you get 1/2 + 1/2 somewhere in your integral to get the 1? I think I remember doing that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dominae)
    Can someone quote me when there is an unofficial mark scheme? Thanks
    Dominae It's up on mathemateg

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EJRicketts)
    How do you access it?

ReputationRep:
    I can't access it aha

Didn't think anybody without an account for the website could either

ReputationRep:
    Glad I'm not the only one did this. I was happy when others got the same answer 3.73 but when people started mentioning sin^2x + cos^2x = 1, I was thinking I just got really lucky.

Did you get 1/2 + 1/2 somewhere in your integral to get the 1? I think I remember doing that.
    It's because you did the Q completely mechanically without thinking lol.
    What you did is immediately when you saw cos^2x and sin^2x you converted into
    (1±cosx)/2 and then went from there... still right and still all the marks though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IrrationalRoot)
    It's because you did the Q completely mechanically without thinking lol.
    What you did is immediately when you saw cos^2x and sin^2x you converted into
    (1±cosx)/2 and then went from there... still right and still all the marks though.
    I have the tendency to do that.

But hey, as long as you get the marks right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopefulmedicesty)
    How do you access it?
    I can't access it aha

Didn't think anybody without an account for the website could either
    To access it just make an account and then you have to enrol onto the course, so C4. Use their twitter for the link to the file, make sure you translate as you go along through your browser haha

ReputationRep:
    To access it just make an account and then you have to enrol onto the course, so C4. Use their twitter for the link to the file, make sure you translate as you go along through your browser haha
    Somebody just posted a drop box for it on the other thread. I didn't realise anyone could make an account on the site, I thought it was only for students at a specific school :ahee: Where were you for the C3 exam!?

Also, let's take a moment to appreciate the fact that maths is the same in every language, cause I can't speak/read Welsh for ****.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you !!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    Goodbye, A*. :sigh:
    :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Mark Scheme: https://www.dropbox.com/s/is5d0l1smt...02016.pdf?dl=0

Question Paper: https://www.dropbox.com/s/h4wwqjjja7...PAPER.pdf?dl=0

ReputationRep:
    Buggered up trig somehow cause I'm a simpleton, might have cost me a B grade in this paper but oh well

Reckon I got 47 marks, hopefully which is a C

ReputationRep:
    I will wet myself if I found out I have done better in C4 than C3

ReputationRep:
    I think this unofficial mark scheme is wrong in one question. They have k/25 being greater than 1. But the maximum value of cosx is 1. So k/25 should be less than or equal to one and greater than or equal to -1. Am I a total idiot or am I right?

EDIT: No I get it now, I misread the question, my bad. It says no solutions, not solutions. That's a mark lost probably.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.