The Student Room Group

Labour MP Jo Cox killed in shooting incident in West Yorkshire

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TercioOfParma
I said not a significant problem, in that 1 attack is no indication of an endemic problem. Sure, it's a tragedy but It doesn't suggest the extreme right is a significant problem.

Breivik wasn't alone in his views. He was part of a large European network of fascists and racist scumbags.

There have been numerous right-wing attacks in Europe and the security services tell us they are getting worse.

Analysing 31 European countries, researchers found there had been 124 individuals involved in 98 attacks or plots over a 15-year period.

After the UK’s 38 planned attacks, France came second with Germany and Sweden both had five. The report’s authors concluded that while such attacks have been rare in Europe 10 countries had no documented attacks in 15 years there has been an increase in the frequency of attacks after 2011.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/feb/29/focus-on-islamist-terror-plots-overlooks-threat-from-far-right-report

The large number of foiled plots tell us we have a serious problem that, thankfully, the police and MI5 have remained on top of. Not that there is no problem.

Anyone who is aware of the extreme, racist and violent rhetoric permeating the hard right (and increasingly the hard left), and who is not their ideological bedfellow, will admit there is a serious issue there
Reply 81
https://mobile.twitter.com/Jamin2g/status/743464352066453504/video/1

Contradictory reports from other eyewitnesses.
Original post by alevelstresss
and you shouldn't blame islam for islamist attacks because 90% of the time it is just a hate filled, angry, frustrated individual who has had a bad turn in their life and they want to hurt other people

Utter crap. All three of the large Islamist terror attacks that occurred in Europe in the last 18 months were conducted by organised groups of individuals operating under direct ISIS or Al-Qaeda command. The reason the ISIS attackers in France and Belgium were able to avoid being arrested for so long was because of the help they received from within the Islamic community. And many in the Muslim community support Islamist terrorism. Far right terrorism is almost universally abhorred and condemned, by contrast
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 83
Original post by BirdIsWord
BANNING GUNS WOULD HAVE STOPPED THIS
Oh wait

nice flame. this is why riot banned you.
Original post by Mathemagicien
:rolleyes:

So is it also wrong to blame UKIP for right wing attacks?

yes
Reply 85
Assuming that the guy did shout Britain First (which should be treated as unconfirmed) I don't know why this is being condemned as a smear on the leave campaign. They may be right wingers who want out of the EU, but they don't represent the full, or even the majority of the leave voters. Most of my friends want to stay, but out of the plenty of people who will be voting out of the EU, none of them would want to be associated with Britain First.
Reply 86
Original post by Jimmy Seville
Ofc conveniently it was Sky found a witness that would paint a 'leaver' in a bad light.

Why would it be in their interests to do that? The Sun is pro-Leave (also in the Murdoch empire) and I don't think Sky will declare for either side (not that it would be relevant to this).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Thutmose-III
Utter crap. All three of the large Islamist terror attacks that occurred in Europe in the last 18 months were conducted by organised groups of individuals operating under direct ISIS or Al-Qaeda command.

You need to look at these individuals carefully. They aren't proper purporters of Islam, each and every single one of them was a European / Middle Eastern Muslim who had become frustrated/angry with the system and with groups of people. They didn't go and kill anyone because they wanted to enforce Islam on the world or to increase Islam's strength as a religion - they all did it to kill innocent people and take their anger out on the western system which they grew up to despise. This is likely true because we have a world with 1.6 billion Muslims and quite evidently they aren't doing it in the name of true Islam, otherwise I see no reason why the rest of them don't join in and commit more attacks.

Islam didn't motivate them to do what they did, hatred and disgust and bigotry did - Islam is just the veil these murderers hide behind to feel somewhat justified in murdering innocent people.
If one person said that the guy shouted 'Allahu Akbar', this thread would be lit up with the typical anti-Muslim jargon TSR has experienced so much recently, regardless of whether the eyewitness was telling the truth or not. But since it's 'Britain First', we need to take what this eyewitness said with a pinch of salt and not believe it straight away.
The attacker, Tommy Mair, allegedly has subscriptions to several far-right/white supremacist magazines. Neighbours also describe him as a bit of a social reject who lived at home with his brother and didn't go out much.

There's also a video that supposedly shows him on a "Britain First Activist Training Camp" in Snowdonia. On this camp, they practise knife fighting, sleep together in secluded mountain tents and eat sausages!
Original post by Thutmose-III
Breivik wasn't alone in his views. He was part of a large European network of fascists and racist scumbags.

There have been numerous right-wing attacks in Europe and the security services tell us they are getting worse.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/feb/29/focus-on-islamist-terror-plots-overlooks-threat-from-far-right-report

The large number of foiled plots tell us we have a serious problem that, thankfully, the police and MI5 have remained on top of. Not that there is no problem.

Anyone who is aware of the extreme, racist and violent rhetoric permeating the hard right (and increasingly the hard left), and who is not their ideological bedfellow, will admit there is a serious issue there

Finally some proof thank you. Yeah, that is a large number of planned attacks.

However, what about in comparison to other threats, like Islam?
Original post by TelAviv
The attacker, Tommy Mair, allegedly has subscriptions to several far-right/white supremacist magazines. Neighbours also describe him as a bit of a social reject who lived at home with his brother and didn't go out much.

There's also a video that supposedly shows him on a "Britain First Activist Training Camp" in Snowdonia. On this camp, they practise knife fighting, sleep together in secluded mountain tents and eat sausages!

How jolly!
Reply 92
Original post by cranbrook_aspie
Interesting how none of the righties who would be crowding round this thread in glee had the attacker been shouting 'Allahu akbar' have commented yet on what is a horrible and callous attack on a lovely lady and by all accounts good MP.

Indeed, the equivalent reaction here would be to call for the ban of Britain First and deport all its members. But of course I'm not going to stoop to those people's levels as I realise just because they shouted 'Britain First', does not mean they represent the 'party' as a whole, as vile as I think that 'party' is. Most important thing now is hoping that she survives this horrendous attack.
News conference taking place now.

She has died.
Breaking: She has died
Well well well @Fullofsurprises ... I hope you are ready to admit your disgusting smearing of conflating this attacker with the leave campaign was not only morally wrong but factually wrong

Info on the shooter: (Suffering from mental health problems)

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Oakwell+Hall+thriving+with+help+of+volunteers.-a0227735906

Jo Cox has died fml :frown:

Awful
Original post by TelAviv
Breaking: She has died

This is just awful. Depressing.

RIP...
I can't believe she has died :frown:

RIP
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Well well well @Fullofsurprises ... I hope you are ready to admit your disgusting smearing of conflating this attacker with the leave campaign was not only morally wrong but factually wrong

Info on the shooter: (Suffering from mental health problems)

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Oakwell+Hall+thriving+with+help+of+volunteers.-a0227735906

Jo Cox has died fml :frown:

Awful

you've done your fair share of smearing on other incidents tbh
Very sad, she was a wonderful woman.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending