Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Ask the Speaker II Watch

ReputationRep:
    Can I ask the Speaker, that if a Great Repeal took place, whether it would mean that this House would leave the EU at the same time as in RL?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    All acts of parliament can be repealed by a simple majority. I believe the stipulation for the result to be honoured was contained in the bill itself.
    The binding for 3 terms bit is part of the GD, not the referendum bill, which means that the bill cannot be amended until the next parliament.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    Can I ask the Speaker, that if a Great Repeal took place, whether it would mean that this House would leave the EU at the same time as in RL?
    Under Canon, yes.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Mr Speaker, should you not be setting an example for us all by following the rules?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Mr Speaker, should you not be setting an example for us all by following the rules?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    :confused:???
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iEthan)
    :confused:???
    Use of Welsh without translation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If this is in regards to the PM... which I think it is... the rule doesn't apply. It's a PM and therefore isn't in a public area of the site, which is what the rule encompasses. Personally, I'd say you're nitpicking just a little bit.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I'm so putting Greek and Latin in my next update
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iEthan)
    If this is in regards to the PM... which I think it is... the rule doesn't apply. It's a PM and therefore isn't in a public area of the site, which is what the rule encompasses. Personally, I'd say you're nitpicking just a little bit.
    But it is also in the speaker's chamber which is public

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    But it is also in the speaker's chamber which is public

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think you could do with a drink myself. Let's not worry about this and leave moderation to the moderators responsible for this section. It's their domain, not ours.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Firstly it was (and may still be) a Labour tradition to use a different language to open or close each party update – this was unsurprisingly never a problem.

Secondly you have to be incredibly stupid to not be able to spot the pattern from the hundreds of other updates in that thread.

Thirdly I would argue that given that I am sat in Wales right now I continue to benefit from the inalienable right to use Welsh as and when I wish under the Welsh Language Act – that would certainly be an interesting legal case.

ReputationRep:
    Wait, that was Welsh? I thought it was his cat typing.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    Wait, that was Welsh? I thought it was his cat typing.
    Old.

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Mr Speaker, in case you weren't going to do so otherwise, if my Review passes without division (or with if the opposition deems division appropriate) could you please advise what you regard as having passed and what requires legislation so I can get on top of such legislation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Mr Speaker,

When will the new Ad Hoc Editor be announced?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    Mr Speaker,

When will the new Ad Hoc Editor be announced?
    Given the lack of serious submissions the post is vacant.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Mr Speaker, in case you weren't going to do so otherwise, if my Review passes without division (or with if the opposition deems division appropriate) could you please advise what you regard as having passed and what requires legislation so I can get on top of such legislation?
    Other than perhaps the pay rise I think everything else is just departmental spending which shouldn't need primary legislation. I've done a quick search and I believe the nuclear developments will pass without a bill as well.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    Given the lack of serious submissions the post is vacant.
    So what happens now? Can't we have some kind of election? At least it would create another source of debate.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    So what happens now? Can't we have some kind of election? At least it would create another source of debate.
    Given the lack of entries it could be hard to find someone who actually wants to take it on.

I think it's best to go with my other proposal of a system of guest editors, so if anyone wants to volunteer to do either a July or an August edition they are welcome to become editor for that month.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    Given the lack of entries it could be hard to find someone who actually wants to take it on.

I think it's best to go with my other proposal of a system of guest editors, so if anyone wants to volunteer to do either a July or an August edition they are welcome to become editor for that month.
    Guest editos could work well. I'm happy to do a month if you want but I thought there were quite a few people that wanted to be editor as well.

Poll
Is GoT overrated?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.