2017 Uni of Bristol applicants mega-thread

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Don't panic.

All Unis make offers as applications roll-in, and they will continue to make offers until March/April next year.
    They do not 'run out of offers' and all applications to UCAS before the Jan deadline must get 'equal consideration', so actually there are no advantages in applying early.

Most people make their applications between half-term and Christmas - so if yours is sent then, that is totally fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mahmzo)
    How did you get an offer so early??? Ours dont get sent until november. What course did you apply for???
    inb4 oxbridge applicant

ReputationRep:
    Course applying: Economics and Mathematics
    A2 Predictions: A*AA in Maths, Further Maths and Economics
    Extracurriculars: Prefect, badminton, maths challenges (Gold), entered essay competition, read economics and maths books, NCS, DofE
    Also applying to: LSE (doubt I'd get it), UCL, Warwick, QMUL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heffalumpys)
    Just got an offer from Bristol which is pretty exciting, anyone else get any offers yet??
    Wooo, congrats!
    I just got an offer for history!

ReputationRep:
    How did you get an offer so early??? Ours dont get sent until november. What course did you apply for???
    Schools submit them at different times I guess, and mine was just earlier - I don't think it's for better of for worse. I applied for history

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tyunnos)
    Wooo, congrats!
    I just got an offer for history!
    Congrats to you too, I'm also History! Perhaps only the history department is doing offers right now.. was yours A*AA?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heffalumpys)
    Congrats to you too, I'm also History! Perhaps only the history department is doing offers right now.. was yours A*AA?
    Oooh wehey! Good subject choice!
    Mine was the contextual one, AAB.
    Yourself?

ReputationRep:
    Yourself?
    Hey i am appying for aerospace engineering. How does the contexual work? My school is eligible i know.

ReputationRep:
    Hey i am appying for aerospace engineering. How does the contexual work? My school is eligible i know.
    If you went to a school on this year's Contextual School list, and they decide to make you an offer, you will get the lower offer. It is that simple.

ReputationRep:
    Yourself?
    ooh nice! No, I got the A*AA offer so I'm hoping this will work as motivation.. Where else have you applied??

ReputationRep:
    How seriously do they consider GCSE grades? I didn't do too great in mine because of personal issues but my AS grades were good (AABB) and my predicted grades are A*AA. I'm applying for Psychology in Education.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soooo0)
    How seriously do they consider GCSE grades? I didn't do too great in mine because of personal issues but my AS grades were good (AABB) and my predicted grades are A*AA. I'm applying for Psychology in Education.
    There's a University document floating about with the weighting given to A-levels, p/s, GCSE's etc. If I can find it I'll post it. From memory GCSE's only constitute about 10% of the decision, personal statement was highest at about 40%-50%.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Random_PC_Errors)
    There's a University document floating about with the weighting given to A-levels, p/s, GCSE's etc. If I can find it I'll post it. From memory GCSE's only constitute about 10% of the decision, personal statement was highest at about 40%-50%.
    And soooo0

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/media.../education.pdf

compare with
    http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/media...psychology.pdf

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,
    I received an unconditional offer and I accepted it.However, i did not yet hear anything from the uni even though i received the confirmation letter(on UCAS track) several days ago.Is this normal? (by the way, im an International applicant)

ReputationRep:

Thank you!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SDJ2000)
    Hi everyone,
    I received an unconditional offer and I accepted it.However, i did not yet hear anything from the uni even though i received the confirmation letter(on UCAS track) several days ago.Is this normal? (by the way, im an International applicant)

Unless you only applied to only one Uni (ie. one choice) then you have to wait for ALL your decisions to come through before you can make a Firm choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    Unless you only applied to only one Uni (ie. one choice) then you have to wait for ALL your decisions to come through before you can make a Firm choice.
    I withdrew the other unis before i accepted the offer from Bristol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SDJ2000)
    I withdrew the other unis before i accepted the offer from Bristol
    All you will get is a confirming email at this stage - any other info will come to you a great deal later in the year!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    All you will get is a confirming email at this stage - any other info will come to you a great deal later in the year!
    Thanks! !

ReputationRep:
    Got an offer for economics at Bristol, surely this means Bristol will accept my offer for economics and finance which is a lower grade requirement, and is my exact target grades

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 8, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.