Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSR's Big EU Referendum- The Panel Debates @19:30 Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    Can you cite sources for that?

It's quite clear that 9 out of 10 economists believe Brexit will have a negative impact on our GDP. Leaving is not worth the risk of an emergency budget with cuts to the poorest in society.
    Didn't George Osborne say there would be an emergency budget after a leave vote. 30 Billion? Isn't that twice as much as the Emergency Budget of 2010?

I love citing evidence. Something the remain camp doesn't seem to have a habit of.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politic...endum-36534192

But this just seems to be hot air and threats.

and 500k of goldman sach funding to create such hysteria
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    #VoteLeave: Legislative Issues

THE EUROPEAN PROJECT
    • Jean Monnet (founding father of the EU): 'Common market will lead to unity and produce political union which is the goal' | NWE
    • President Jean Claude Juncker: "There can be no democratic choice against the European treaties" | BBC
    Our Prime Minister's deal says differently. We are in control of out destiny and whether or not we pursue closer union with our friends and allies on the continent.

You don't sound much like a 'europhile in the truest sense of the word'.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by illegaltobepoor)
    Didn't George Osborne say there would be an emergency budget after a leave vote. 30 Billion? Isn't that twice as much as the Emergency Budget of 2010?

I love citing evidence. Something the remain camp doesn't seem to have a habit of.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politic...endum-36534192
    Cheers for that

This is exactly what I'm saying. A vote for LEAVE is a vote for cuts to the poorest in society. A cut to our NHS. A cut to our education system. It will hit us all to the core. We MUST remain in the EU.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    DEMOCRATIC DEFICIT
    • Democratically elected Members of the European Parliament (MEPs) cannot propose, initiate, or even repeal legislation | EUR
    • We are 1 voice in 28 (soon to be 35), and have only a tiny share (13%) of the all important EU Council of Ministers vote vs. "at top table" | FFT
    More power to the European Parliament would come hand in hand with closer political integration - the very thing you seem to fear.

Is that a reason for Brighton to leave the UK?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    I refer you to our opening statement. Out of context quotations are nothing against the truth.
    Who's running from facts now? To pretend that Monnet did not envision a federal Europe is laughable, even the EU proudly proclaim it in Brussels.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    LOSS OF DIGNITY
    • Surreptitious global (crony) capitalist deals like TTIP will eventually get passed vs. consumer/privacy/environmental standards and GovT sued | ZH
    You're right, TTIP is dangerous and the EU is our best chance of avoiding it. Any EU memberstate will be able to veto the deal and the European Parliament will be able to vote it down. Leave the EU and the Tories will bring in this horrid deal as soon as they can.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador

Though the Brexiters will belittle David Cameron's EU 'deal' (they wouldn't have been happy no matter what the outcome of the negotiation) it is proof that the EU is receptive to reform and improvement. If we want to be we're completly free from 'ever closer union'. And if we ever choose to pursue that course it remains open to us.
    It took him hours and hours of negotiation to achieve not a whole lot in terms of the issues that people are actually concerned about. It proves the opposite.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    Aren't we meant to be talking about Future plans?

adam9317

ReputationRep:
    Can I ask Leave a question?

Do you think Union will be under threat if we leave The EU?

It looks as if Scotland are set to vote Remain, if the rest of The UK votes out do you think this gives The SNP an excuse for a second Independence referendum?

ReputationRep:
    Cheers for that

This is exactly what I'm saying. A vote for LEAVE is a vote for cuts to the poorest in society. A cut to our NHS. A cut to our education system. It will hit us all to the core. We MUST remain in the EU.
    What you don't understand is there was 40 billion black hole in George Osbornes last budget and now his next budget is suppose to be 30 billion austerity.

I haven't done you a favor. Anyone who actually watches the budget forecasts will see George Osborne is just trying to cover his mistakes from previous budgets and this has nothing to do with the Brexit.

And on another note the FTSE100 and Dow Jones started declining in April 2015 when Janet Yellen called her Bluff on rising interest rates.

They know a recession is coming and has nothing to do with the Brexit.

Any economics student can see though your lies and fearmongering.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Our Prime Minister's deal says differently. We are in control of out destiny and whether or not we pursue closer union with our friends and allies on the continent.

You don't sound much like a 'europhile in the truest sense of the word'.
    This is a negotiation that perfectly epitomises our lack of influence, even with the threat of leaving, out massive net contribution with us, he could not get anything worth the paper its written on (almost literally). None of his negotiation is biding, he is merely the modern Chamberlain, coming back from Europe waving a non binding piece of paper proclaiming "look at this, I have stopped them!"
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Who's running from facts now? To pretend that Monnet did not envision a federal Europe is laughable, even the EU proudly proclaim it in Brussels.
    Is that the only quote you put forward? No.

Quoting Monnet is no different from me quoting a euroskeptic as proof there will never be a European superstate.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you to everyone for our debate, especially our panellists PetrosAC RayApparently RuWill2001 Aph Foo.mp3 illegaltobepoor cranbrook_aspie Jammy Duel

I would like to conclude this debate by asking you what you believe the result will be. It is obvious what way you believe it will go, but not what you want- but what do you feel it will be, % point wise.

Personally, I'm going for 52-48 to leave; but who knows what will happen.

I will leave this thread open for the panel to debate until 20:45 and should any closing arguments wish to be made, this can be done so. After this time, should you still be so interested and want to continue discussion, you can head over to the audience thread which shall remain open.

Thanks for getting involved
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    It took him hours and hours of negotiation to achieve not a whole lot in terms of the issues that people are actually concerned about. It proves the opposite.
    What did you want him to achieve?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by RuWill2001)

It looks as if Scotland are set to vote Remain, if the rest of The UK votes out do you think this gives The SNP an excuse for a second Independence referendum?
    Scotland simply is not bothered enough by it, most polling shows that they would not see it as reason for another referendum, the odd one just shows it doing so, and there is little shift in the polls on independence, which is the SNPs basis for calling another referendum, the criteria will not be met. But if we suppose there is a referendum on Scottish independence, even then it succeeding is unlikely, even in a more financially sound position Scotland remained, and too few Scots care passionately enough about the EU to change that.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by adam9317)
    Thank you to everyone for our debate, especially our panellists PetrosAC RayApparently RuWill2001 Aph Foo.mp3 illegaltobepoor cranbrook_aspie Jammy Duel

I would like to conclude this debate by asking you what you believe the result will be. It is obvious what way you believe it will go, but not what you want- but what do you feel it will be, % point wise.

Personally, I'm going for 52-48 to leave; but who knows what will happen.

I will leave this thread open for the panel to debate until 20:45 and should any closing arguments wish to be made, this can be done so. After this time, should you still be so interested and want to continue discussion, you can head over to the audience thread which shall remain open.

Thanks for getting involved
    I'll opt for a 52-48 for Remain. I believe we'll make the right decision in the end.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    I belive it'll be 51-53 remain. (49-47 leave)

ReputationRep:
    Aren't we meant to be talking about Future plans?

adam9317
    Yes, so I would ask the panel to stay on topic. I know it might not be the best issue, but please stay on topic; and if you wish draw your closing arguments from the debate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RuWill2001)

The Scottish people should be allowed to have democracy just as we on the leave campaign want to leave the EU. There is nothing wrong about self governing nations. However Scotland will be in for a rude awakening when they find out the EU is anti democratic.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    What did you want him to achieve?
    OF the 5 things he went to Brussels promising he would get, he had to renege on 3, massively water down the fourth twice and the last one is a simple restatement of the status quo.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 20, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.