Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

EU referendum: nine out of 10 university staff back Remain watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    That doesn't make sense. If there are more EU students spending money in Britain, there will be more people needed to supply goods and services like shop workers, bus drivers and doctors. They will also pay tax like VAT and fuel duty so makes more employment for everyone.

If they did not come here, there will be less money spent in the British economy, less money from tax , fewer people will have jobs and British students have fewer courses to choose from and pay higher fees.
    So we study to drive buses,sell drinks to them? It's obvious that 500,000 Italian graduates will take some of our jobs and reduce salaries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoyalMarine)
    So we study to drive buses,sell drinks to them? It's obvious that 500,000 Italian graduates will take some of our jobs and reduce salaries.
    Sorry, I thought I was responding to an intelligent person.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    not for the young. Immigration is good for people who already have businesses as they can lower new salaries and the more customers the better to them. But for British students who aren't already finacially stable it will mean less opportunities.
    wot? UK youth unemployment is falling too.

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-06-21 at 20.31.22.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  73.4 KB

And you know young British people like to travel to the rest of Europe to find new challenges, and jobs. You want to restrict that too?

ReputationRep:
    I think that uni staff are worried that the loss of ERC funding will not be compensated by the British government, which they don't trust.

Higher Education is a sector where the UK pays less than it gets back. The result of this survey is logical.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Those Italians, coming over here, taking our ice-cream. And singing "O sole mio" while they do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    UK unemployment is falling.
    UK wages are rising.

And you want to put that at risk because you don't want EU students coming over here, spending their money, helping the economy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    EU graduates will still be able to come to the UK, but the wage limit that could only be applied to non-EU immigrants would thus matter for everybody.

Currently that limit is at £20,800. An immigrant on a lower salary doesn't contribute to the economy; they pays little tax and drains salaries down.
    https://www.gov.uk/tier-2-general/eligibility

I think it was reckless from the EU not to put some limits to free movement within the EU. There should have been an exception saying that you must earn at least the medium wage of the country you're moving in.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Maker)
    Sorry, I thought I was responding to an intelligent person.
    PRSOM

ReputationRep:
    I work in academia and will almost certainly be more prone to leave the UK in the case of a Brexit vote. This sentiment is shared pretty widely in my department too.

I think Brexiters are seriously underestimating the possibility of a brain drain from the UK if we leave the EU. It's not so much that the UK would suddenly become an worse place to live but more that the overall climate with respect to immigrants has become rather toxic (whether Brexiters would like to admit this or not). This is the general feeling I get from my colleagues (who are almost 80% EU).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by looseseal)
    I work in academia and will almost certainly be more prone to leave the UK in the case of a Brexit vote. This sentiment is shared pretty widely in my department too.

I think Brexiters are seriously underestimating the possibility of a brain drain from the UK if we leave the EU. It's not so much that the UK would suddenly become an worse place to live but more that the overall climate with respect to immigrants has become rather toxic (whether Brexiters would like to admit this or not). This is the general feeling I get from my colleagues (who are almost 80% EU).
    Why do you think this is about stopping immigration (for all Brexiteers)?

Is it not more about controlling immigration?

(And to think only academics matter in this country. Pfft.)

I fail to see the relevance of that statistic about the place from which your colleagues came. It only serves to highlight a reason for possible bias and a prejudice in favour of the EU.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    So Leavers want to increase unemployment, interesting.
    When did I say that? stop making stuff up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    EU graduates will still be able to come to the UK, but the wage limit that could only be applied to non-EU immigrants would thus matter for everybody.

Currently that limit is at £20,800. An immigrant on a lower salary doesn't contribute to the economy; they pays little tax and drains salaries down.
    https://www.gov.uk/tier-2-general/eligibility

I think it was reckless from the EU not to put some limits to free movement within the EU. There should have been an exception saying that you must earn at least the medium wage of the country you're moving in.
    Currently non-EU migrants have to earn about £35,000 a year. We are missing out on so many skilled people just because at the moment we are letting in bar staff, shop assistants and other unskilled people from the EU

ReputationRep:
    You realise Universities get EU funding, right?

Plus as someone's already mentioned, they are no safe spaces which decry controversial opinions. Which has mainly been spurned on and encouraged by feminist, liberal academics.

'I'll do what David Cameron says, he obviously has my best interests at heart'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jee1)
    Currently non-EU migrants have to earn about £35,000 a year. We are missing out on so many skilled people just because at the moment we are letting in bar staff, shop assistants and other unskilled people from the EU
    No no, the £35,000 a year figure is for non-EU immigrants on a tier-2 visa (mostly) who want to stay in the UK after 5 years of residency.
    https://www.gov.uk/settle-in-the-uk/...2-general-visa
    (You can apply if [...] your job pays £35,000 or more (unless you’re exempt from the ‘minimum earnings threshold’)).

Non-EU immigrants can still come to the UK on a work contract paid at least £20,800, whilst EU migrants just have to be paid the minimum wage.

I do agree that it's stupid to put such a high bar and "fire" immigrants who have lived for such a long time in the UK. I think that people who earn at least the median wage should be able to stay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naveed-7)
    Who gives a sh*t? Im Voting Leave, and I hope everyone else does too. We need our democracy back.
    We havent had it in 40+ years. We can do this everyone. Ignore and screw the bankers, the biased experts and all the other rubbish. Lets not get conned.
    We have been in the EU for 40 years, and it is not working.
    We vote for a MP in a tiny region who can (and often does) get elected despite having majority of people against him, statistically this MP will never get a bill debated in parliament let alone pass a bill. Three hundred other MPs about whom we didn't get a vote, and that one MP who most people voted against forms a government that majority of people didn't vote of. That government appoints people to house of lords which holds de facto power of veto/ de jure power of delay on bills passed by a parliament composed of people who 63.1% of people voted against.
    VS.
    System where theoretically democratic national governments (although as demonstrated above are not quite so) appoints a members to body responsible for proposing bills/ creating directives, and parliament responsible for passing those bills is directly elected so majority of people approve of majority of their MEPs.

If your goal was creating more democratic institution, you should be campaigning for more unitary EU which even as it stands is leaps and bounds more democratic than UK despite inability of MEPs to propose legislation.

ReputationRep:
    Those Italians, coming over here, taking our ice-cream. And singing "O sole mio" while they do it.
    They're skilled graduates who are ready to get low salaries. I don't see why we should be happy to stay in the EU and lower our salaries in the name of Europe.

ReputationRep:
    wot? UK youth unemployment is falling too.

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-06-21 at 20.31.22.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  73.4 KB

And you know young British people like to travel to the rest of Europe to find new challenges, and jobs. You want to restrict that too?
    Source Eurostat. Why I'm not surprised that I don't see it in real life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XcitingStuart)
    Why do you think this is about stopping immigration (for all Brexiteers)?

Is it not more about controlling immigration?
    I am afraid these things are about mood music. We compete with the rest of the world for the "best" immigrants, but immigrants wish to go to the places where they feel there is respect for all immmigrants.

An example is the recent fall off in Indian students attracted to top UK universities by a clampdown on bogus students attracted to bogus colleges. Another one is the unhappiness felt amongst Indian doctors in the UK about the stability of their positions in the event of Brexit. In neither case are the fears rational, no one is going to starting kicking out foreign doctors, but they exist none the less.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Source Eurostat. Why I'm not surprised that I don't see it in real life.
    Eurostat are collating ONS data and the equivalent from countries around the world.

Read this then, article on young people, using ONS data:

Financial strain on young people is easing, official figures show
    http://gu.com/p/4j42c

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-06-22 at 09.44.47.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  118.1 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheIr0nDuke)
    You realise Universities get EU funding, right?
    And so does Nigel Farage.

Should his opinions be dismissed for that reason?

ReputationRep:
    Even Boris Johnson himself doesn't seem like he means a word he says. He's pro single-market.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.