Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sameehaiqbal)
    No offence but ... Lol, wow this is getting even more ridiculous. His girlfriend wasn't obviously walking around flashing her pussy or her tits. Your example in comparison to the OP's situation is absolutely ridiculously invalid. It is NOT the same principle. Had the OP's girlfriend been flashing her boobs or her pussy at the party then I would've understood. But it was probably just a normal dress. His girlfriend could be wearing a maxi dress (fairly covered) and still get compliments from guys because she looks beautiful or pretty? What does the OP want his girlfriend to do then? Stop wearing makeup, doing her hair and wearing nice clothes so she shall not receive compliments?

There have been many occasions where people have called me beautiful after seeing my profile picture. I am NOT revealing anything apart from my face. So, what should my "insecure husband" do in this case? Tell me to be a nun? Silly.
    +1 for logic

ReputationRep:
    No offence but ... Lol, wow this is getting even more ridiculous. His girlfriend wasn't obviously walking around flashing her pussy or her tits. Your example in comparison to the OP's situation is absolutely ridiculously invalid. It is NOT the same principle. Had the OP's girlfriend been flashing her boobs or her pussy at the party then I would've understood. But it was probably just a normal dress. His girlfriend could be wearing a maxi dress (fairly covered) and still get compliments from guys because she looks beautiful or pretty? What does the OP want his girlfriend to do then? Stop wearing makeup, doing her hair and wearing nice clothes so she shall not receive compliments?

There have been many occasions where people have called me beautiful after seeing my profile picture. I am NOT revealing anything apart from my face. So, what should my "insecure husband" do in this case? Tell me to be a nun? Silly.
    There is a basic level of modesty which makes no distinction between ones private parts and other 'revealing' parts of the body and thus deserves the same treatment irregardless of the fact that say one's breasts and nether regions are more sexualised than one's thighs - just because one part is worse than another in terms of sexualisation does not mean that it should not be covered; it's just a relative measure to compare to one's privates.

Ignoring the laws of Saudi Arabia, would you make Tawwaf around the Ka'aba in a mid-thigh length dress with nothing covering your legs, shoulders, arms or hair? The reason I ask is because if you say no, you would cover, then I would say that if you can have modesty before God, why not before the people; if you say yes, you would dress like that and make Tawwaf (if you weren't shunned by society), then I would say you have little modesty before God and therefore your opinion about modesty before people really doesn't matter to me.

I do understand about the face being attractive but are you seriously trying to tell me that a pretty face is as sexualised as a short dress? One should do what is within their ability to be modest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zamestaneh)
    There is a basic level of modesty which makes no distinction between ones private parts and other 'revealing' parts of the body and thus deserves the same treatment irregardless of the fact that say one's breasts and nether regions are more sexualised than one's thighs - just because one part is worse than another in terms of sexualisation does not mean that it should not be covered; it's just a relative measure to compare to one's privates.

Ignoring the laws of Saudi Arabia, would you make Tawwaf around the Ka'aba in a mid-thigh length dress with nothing covering your legs, shoulders, arms or hair? The reason I ask is because if you say no, you would cover, then I would say that if you can have modesty before God, why not before the people; if you say yes, you would dress like that and make Tawwaf (if you weren't shunned by society), then I would say you have little modesty before God and therefore your opinion about modesty before people really doesn't matter to me.

I do understand about the face being attractive but are you seriously trying to tell me that a pretty face is as sexualised as a short dress? One should do what is within their ability to be modest.
    The OP might not even be muslim :rofl: making religious references here is going a bit too far. They might not even believe in God?

Similarly if my partner forced me to wear a Burqa I wouldnt. Its something I wouldnt do. Its the same thing in the OP's situation?

ReputationRep:

Exactly!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The OP might not even be muslim :rofl: making religious references here is going a bit too far. They might not even believe in God?

Similarly if my partner forced me to wear a Burqa I wouldnt. Its something I wouldnt do. Its the same thing in the OP's situation?
    I know, but that religious point was specifically aimed to you I disagree with giving conflicting advice between a Muslim and a non-Muslim i.e. I will still advise a non-Muslim with underpinning Islamic values, so advising both a Muslim and non-Muslim to be modest rather than tell a non-Muslim to wear what they makes them feel confident or sexy (even if its revealing af), but a Muslim to cover their legs. The reason I raised the Tawwaf issue was to establish whether you believed in one concept for Muslims and one for non-Muslims :holmes: If this was or is the case, then I was simply going to advise you against having an inconsistent view since it is illogical to believe one thing and advise another

Fair about you and the Burqa, but then that's still different because thats going beyond the normal bounds of what is traditionally one's Awrah, and therefore to cover one's face is not comparable to a girl covering her legs since covering the leg is within the normal bounds of modesty whereas the face is not, if that makes sense?

ReputationRep:

spot on
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Okay well first, let her pick her own clothes. She's not 4. If you're upset about it, bring it up. My ex boyfriend didn't like me wearing anything that wasn't high-necked when I went out. I understood, but that didn't mean I was going to make myself unhappy to meet that expectation. They are uncomfortable for me for the most part and I was only out to have a night with friends. We worked together to help him understand that I was loyal to him and wasn't looking for attention. I just like to dress how I dress. Maybe that's just her style, or maybe she likes the extra attention. Maybe she was just uncomfortable in what you picked out. You can't know unless you actually talk to her about it. Really though, unless she was displaying actual nudity I don't see how there can be that much of an issue. It doesn't matter what she wears because she'd still get comments. Your jealously and insecurity is something to work on, not her wardrobe.

(Original post by Lazarus26)
    Its understandable that you feel this way, but at the end of the day its her body and her choice. If you don't like it, don't date her.
    Speak to her about how you feel but don't expect her to change for your insecurities.
    He's the insecure one yet she needs some compliments from other males to feel good lmaoooooo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    He's the insecure one yet she needs some compliments from other males to feel good lmaoooooo
    Maybe she doesnt? How do you even know that?

Maybe she doesnt? How do you even know that?
    Either way she clearly has no consideration for his feelings. Why did she even apologise, should have just said "suck it" the first time if that's how she felt and was just going to go and wear the same specific dress that she knows he doesn't like.

ReputationRep:
    Either way she clearly has no consideration for his feelings. Why did she even apologise, should have just said "suck it" the first time if that's how she felt and was just going to go and wear the same specific dress that she knows he doesn't like.
    I actually do agree with you there, there could have been better communication and understanding, hope they work it out anyways

ReputationRep:
    I actually do agree with you there, there could have been better communication and understanding, hope they work it out anyways
    That doesn't look good anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Me, my girlfriend and a few friends went out the other night. I picked my girlfriends dress, she tried them on I picked the one I liked the most. Half way through the night she changed into a more revealing dress for no reason. During the night she got complements from other boys and it really upset me that I went home (I get really anxious aswell and uncomfortable in situations easily). My GF said that it was nothing to worry about, she said sorry for changing dresses from the one I picked and we moved on.

This weekend were going out again and she wants to wear the same dress. I don't know how I feel about this.

Should I be upset that she wants to wear a dress that upset me so much when other people were looking and commenting? I'm not the person to say you can't wear this or that, so I'm in a bit of a situation here.

Any positive constructive comments welcome.
    Thank you.
    YYYYEEEAAAHHH... I had a problem like that too lol
    I have a different bae now lmao

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zamestaneh)
    I'm not denying that it happened, but I mean back then infidelity is very likely to have happened less than today in the West, as society was more firmly against it in both attitude and law; today's society has tonnes of things (including fashion, media, advertising, music etc) which contribute massively to the current degenerate culture of today which glorifies over-sexualisation, ultimately resulting in looser morality and the probably of infidelity increasing.

He should not beat his GF obviously, but he should sit her down and talk to her, and if she doesn't listen, then leave her.

I am all for both men and women covering up in public anyway, but given that Western society is a long way off that, the least that should be done is a man/woman dress more modestly after becoming a couple, yes, because there is little reason for them to want to look overly sexually attractive through little clothing in public after they are taken; you might argue that they feel 'confident' and 'attractive' by dressing that way, but it is possible to reach an equilibrium between being being modest and being attractive, without making oneself too sexually attractive.
    How do you know it happens more? Because we've suddenly got oversight of thousands/millions of people's lives via social media whereas we didn't used to? Unless you've some sort of study to bad it up I'm not buying it. I imagine infidelity rates are much the same, divorce is simply acceptable now.

Are you in a relationship? Have you "covered up" since entering it, since you apparently no longer need to be attractive? I mean, heaven forbid two people want to find each other attractive, regardless of what the rest of the world think.

Incidentally, why should people dress more conservatively? Last I checked a tiny bit of flesh wasn't killing anybody.

(Original post by chelseadagg3r)
    Okay well first, let her pick her own clothes. She's not 4. If you're upset about it, bring it up. My ex boyfriend didn't like me wearing anything that wasn't high-necked when I went out. I understood, but that didn't mean I was going to make myself unhappy to meet that expectation. They are uncomfortable for me for the most part and I was only out to have a night with friends. We worked together to help him understand that I was loyal to him and wasn't looking for attention. I just like to dress how I dress. Maybe that's just her style, or maybe she likes the extra attention. Maybe she was just uncomfortable in what you picked out. You can't know unless you actually talk to her about it. Really though, unless she was displaying actual nudity I don't see how there can be that much of an issue. It doesn't matter what she wears because she'd still get comments. Your jealously and insecurity is something to work on, not her wardrobe.
    Doubt he was worried about you getting attention from other males..

ReputationRep:
    And you had to go anonymous to say that... so pathetic.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Is there something you feel the need to say? If you're going to have a problem, do it properly. An anon comment means nothing, and you've completely missed the point so well done with that.

ReputationRep:
    Fatality

All the hate, because the boys jealous. It's calm and normal can tell everyone on here is dating some social reject.

ReputationRep:
    Eeeep, haven't read all the comments but I've got to say I think there are real issues here.

Its up to her what she wears ultimately you have not choice and control on that matter and you cant tell her to wear different.

However if she chooses to wear something revealing and revel in the attention when she knows it makes you uncomfortable that's the behaviour that is just not acceptable.

You are well within your rights to tell her if she chooses to wear revealing outfits then you expect her to not respond to the attention that makes you uncomfortable.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 29, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.