Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What hopes and concerns do you have for how the UK will change? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TercioOfParma)
    Hoping for the complete abolishment of hate speech laws, although that probably won't happen.
    Why? Do you have a lot of hate speech to give or something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhisperingTide)
    Why? Do you have a lot of hate speech to give or something?
    Because ideas exposed to the world are criticised openly too. We could smother the far right and far left in the crib if they state their racist ideas more openly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andrewUK)
    You've read the report wrong. It isn't about the opening of jobs.... it's showing how their will be less jobs as banks move abroad....
    You know expats...so?

No - the figures in the report (500k - 800k) job losses are estimated from GDP. GDP and jobs are not inherently linked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Betelgeuse-)
    1. I want dress down days to have a compulsory dress code of union jack speedos
    2. I expect we can be proper British and smoke and drink beer at our desk
    3. I want us all driving proper British cars like Fords instead of BMWs

These are my expectations for now, nothing less will suffice
    Are you a walking parody or?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shooks)
    It might become harder to travel around Europe
    This is the one that stands out as totally ridiculous and without foundation. It wasn't difficult to travel around western Europe before Britain joined the EU. It is easy to travel to friendly non-EU countries. In fact, it is easy to travel all round the civilised world nowadays, even to China. I can see no reason why tourist travel should become more difficult.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andrewUK)
    i hope as an nation we stop blaming others such as refugees and immigrants for our mistakes. i hope we learn stop letting xenophobia and patriotism govern our minds and instead we do what is best for our future generations. however the EU result destroyed my hope...
    What are you smoking? :eyeball:

Immigration isn't the sole reason for which someone might want to leave the EU.
    Xenophobia and patriotism aren't the only possible things to necessitate the hate for the EU.

Why the heck would you think leaving the EU guarantees a significant increase in xenophobia?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    How so?

Such as?

Specifics?
    Read the news?

And no need for the tissues. I'm sad for the people of Britain and it's frustrating that the side which defied all logic managed to win. I split my time between the UK and US now - over the next year or so I'll pick whichever one looks less terrible...

1) Starting sentences with 'basically' doesn't reflect well on you
    And filling posts with little digs and silly pictures is much better!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhisperingTide)
    It doesn't mean as much as you think.
    The point is, no one seems to know what it means.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XcitingStuart)
    What are you smoking? :eyeball:

Immigration isn't the sole reason for which someone might want to leave the EU.
    Xenophobia and patriotism aren't the only possible things to necessitate the hate for the EU.

Why the heck would you think leaving the EU guarantees a significant increase in xenophobia?
    I mean the fact we are hearing about an increase of casual racism, there has been repeated stories of incidents following the vote where people are being told to "go home", explains this. We have had to have the Prime Minister and Mayor of London come on and say intolerance is not acceptable because incidents have increased.People believe leaving the EU guarantees a significant increase in xenophobia because after Leave won the refererndum to exit the EU, we have heard of a significant increase in xenophobia.

ReputationRep:
    I studied in another European country and my loan repayments are in Euros. Today's payment was £32 more than last month's, for the same amount I send every month

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cll_ws)
    I studied in another European country and my loan repayments are in Euros. Today's payment was £32 more than last month's, for the same amount I send every month
    Such a shame. The UK should adopt the Euro.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InnerTemple)
    Read the news?
    Answer the question?

the side which defied all logic managed to win
    You're implying that the majority of the voting public are illogical. You Remainers really aren't too good at ingratiating yourselves are you? :laugh:

I split my time between the UK and US now - over the next year or so I'll pick whichever one looks less terrible
    With your contempt for the British people I'd suggest that you'd be best served state-side, matey boy. At least you'll have more of a legitimate excuse for your sanctimonious prejudicial spiel over there :yy:

ReputationRep:
    Someone needs to have a word in the ear of Guardian columnists and point out difference between pre-plebiscite hype/post-electoral hysteria

What they're doing is harmful to the unity/prosperity of the nation. They should grow up, accept outcome, and consider acting in national interest

I thought they'd been rather measured actually but I bow to your greater perceptiveness.

But I wonder if you've listened to James O Brien on LBC.

This guy never stops going on and on and on about the brexiteers and the leave campaign.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elitepower)
    I mean the fact we are hearing about an increase of casual racism, there has been repeated stories of incidents following the vote where people are being told to "go home", explains this. We have had to have the Prime Minister and Mayor of London come on and say intolerance is not acceptable because incidents have increased.People believe leaving the EU guarantees a significant increase in xenophobia because after Leave won the refererndum to exit the EU, we have heard of a significant increase in xenophobia.

Two things.

1) If the vote had been narrowly in favour of remain then I for one believe there would be many more such incidents from angry leavers.. Not only that but such incidents would carry on and on until some government finally listened to the millions who worry about the number of immigrants

2) There is a very well known phenomenon in the news media whereby things that are usually not reported for one reason or another suddenly are reported .And this could well be a prime example.

At least some of this 'increase' is not really an increase in racial incidents as in a country of 65 million it would be incredible if a few 100 foreigners were not abused every week. But now if they contact a newspaper the reporter is interested whereas it wouldn't have been newsworthy before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moggis)
    Two things.

1) If the vote had been narrowly in favour of remain then I for one believe there would be many more such incidents from angry leavers.. Not only that but such incidents would carry on and on until some government finally listened to the millions who worry about the number of immigrants
    Certainly, there would be some moaning but hat would have died down after a month or so as the country got on with life. UKIP would continue to be a presence, though, and looking for opportunities to increase its influence, which is what Farage termed "unfinished business"

This, after exit is concluded, is likely not to be the case. However, if exit does not occur then I expect UKIP will get a massive vote at the next general election and both Labour and the Tories will receive a bloodbath.

At least some of this 'increase' is not really an increase in racial incidents as in a country of 65 million it would be incredible if a few 100 foreigners were not abused every week. But now if they contact a newspaper the reporter is interested whereas it wouldn't have been newsworthy before.
    I believe you are spot on. Let's hope so anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    This is the one that stands out as totally ridiculous and without foundation. It wasn't difficult to travel around western Europe before Britain joined the EU. It is easy to travel to friendly non-EU countries. In fact, it is easy to travel all round the civilised world nowadays, even to China. I can see no reason why tourist travel should become more difficult.
    This is true. My father in fact traveled around France, Belgium and Netherlands before the UK joined the EU and he had no difficultly doing so. It posed no problem then, so I don't see why it would pose a problem now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Certainly, there would be some moaning but hat would have died down after a month or so as the country got on with life. UKIP would continue to be a presence, though, and looking for opportunities to increase its influence, which is what Farage termed "unfinished business"

This, after exit is concluded, is likely not to be the case. However, if exit does not occur then I expect UKIP will get a massive vote at the next general election and both Labour and the Tories will receive a bloodbath.

I believe you are spot on. Let's hope so anyway.
    I have just heard an incredible phone call from a German woman on the aforementioned James OBrien show on LBC . Apparently it can easily be found.

If the call is genuine then perhaps I'm wrong. But I'm truly truly staggered by what I heard to the point where I can't help wondering if in fact it is genuine.

Edit if it is in fact genuine then I do wonder how bad things would have been if leave had lost

ReputationRep:
    I have just heard an incredible phone call from a German woman on the aforementioned James OBrien show on LBC . Apparently it can easily be found.

If the call is genuine then perhaps I'm wrong. But I'm truly truly staggered by what I heard to the point where I can't help wondering if in fact it is genuine.
    If true, it is a disgrace.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    (Original post by shooks)
    Whether you're hopeful or worried about the UK's post-EU future depends largely on how you voted. But what's your biggest hope or concern for how the country may change for young people?

For instance,this article on The Guardian raises some interesting possibilities.
    - It might be harder to get a job in Europe
    - UK students might have to pay international tuition fees to study at European unis
    - UK graduates might find it easier to find grad-level jobs in the UK
    - It might become harder to travel around Europe
    - House prices might become more affordable
    For anyone who'd like to join us, we're hosting a live Q&A at 9.30am on 29th June with Dr Philip Catney, Senior Lecturer in Politics, and Robert Ladrech, Professor of European Politics here at Keele.
    They'll be discussing the outcome of the EU Referendum, and what this means for the UK.
    If you have any questions and would like to get involved with the discussion, you can send them to us in advance;
    email [email protected],or get in touch via Twitter @KeeleUniversity, Facebook and Snapchat - keeleuniversity
    You can also join in with the debate live on Facebook and Periscope from 9.30am in the morning.

ReputationRep:
    I wonder if you've listened to James O Brien on LBC. This guy never stops going on and on and on about the brexiteers and the leave campaign
    Nope, LBC isn't really my kinda gig, although I rate Julia Hartley-Brewer, NGL :yy:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.