June 24th: 'UK Independence Day'. The People of Great Britain Have Spoken. Now What?

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Women and children first into the lifeboats.
    Actually no, me first (thanks equality)

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Some things do shrink over time. :innocent:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elivercury)
    Sorry, how exactly would a second referendum vote not legal? You're acting like it's a foregone conclusion Westminster won't agree to it.

Incidentally, I sincerely hope that such a vote would be recognised and respected because rioting and civil war could be the alternative.
    Sturgeon can't demand a referendum every time she doesn't get her own way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gora The Xplorer)
    Sturgeon can't demand a referendum every time she doesn't get her own way.
    I would hardly refer to being dragged out of the largest single market against your will as "not getting her own way".

This move is probably the most significant that the UK has made in decades, the fact that it has happened so soon after the first is simply poor timing. Potentially.

If this was "Oh they voted the SNP in again, that means another referendum, whoo!" I would agreed, but it is a fact that a very significant decision has just been made which affects all four countries.

ReputationRep:
    I would hardly refer to being dragged out of the largest single market against your will as "not getting her own way".

This move is probably the most significant that the UK has made in decades, the fact that it has happened so soon after the first is simply poor timing. Potentially.

If this was "Oh they voted the SNP in again, that means another referendum, whoo!" I would agreed, but it is a fact that a very significant decision has just been made which affects all four countries.
    So what legal basis is there for another referendum on Scottish independence?

ReputationRep:

Did she get her own way? No.

In the last referendum were people aware this may happen? Yes

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Many voted believing in the principle of union, not wanting to turn their back on that. But if asked to choose which union they feel more affinity for, I know how many, myself included, would choose.

ReputationRep:
    So what legal basis is there for another referendum on Scottish independence?
    On what basis is there not one? Is there a document somewhere stating there can only be a referendum every X number of years? I would like to see it.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I thought you wanted Scotland gone? Unsure why you're not keen for another referendum.

ReputationRep:
    On what basis is there not one? Is there a document somewhere stating there can only be a referendum every X number of years? I would like to see it.
    You're the one demanding it, it's up to you to prove such a thing is legal.

ReputationRep:
    You're the one demanding it, it's up to you to prove such a thing is legal.
    Legal under what system? The one we would potentially be leaving?

I mean it's not like EU law will apply for long.

ReputationRep:
    So approx how long will it take for migrants to be shifted?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RKtothesky)
    So approx how long will it take for migrants to be shifted?
    n'awww did you actually think that the Leave camp would deliver this pledge? haha

ReputationRep:
    I thought you wanted Scotland gone? Unsure why you're not keen for another referendum.
    I'm not too bothered what Scotland do, in the short term I would prefer them to stay.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alevelstresss)
    n'awww did you actually think that the Leave camp would deliver this pledge? haha
    Yes, but as long as they can control migration, it is fine.
    X

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RKtothesky)
    Yes, but as long as they can control migration, it is fine.
    X
    the point is, they can't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alevelstresss)
    the point is, they can't.
    Can't they? Why not?

In other news:Trade talks are already beginning

http://pulse.com.gh/business/after-b...id5188747.html

I expect American talks to start soon and for the other small EU trade partners to follow Ghana (and the vast majority are at least as small)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Can't they? Why not?

In other news:Trade talks are already beginning

http://pulse.com.gh/business/after-b...id5188747.html

I expect American talks to start soon and for the other small EU trade partners to follow Ghana (and the vast majority are at least as small)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Because the Tory government aimed to control immigration outside of the EU in the tens of thousands, they missed this by at least a factor of 10.

I see no reason why they are suddenly going to succeed with their only okay leader backstabbed.

ReputationRep:
    Wtf Scotland, you're the land of the brave and you want to remain in a outdated Union?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    Honey,the union is crumbling. Scotland don't want to be apart of it anymore and next thing you know,Northern Ireland will want to hold an independance referendum. Londoners too want to hold a referendum on London indepence. Sad times

Northern Ireland are absolutely not going to break away; they have been through a lot to get peace and the majority don't want to change that. 44% voted for Brexit anyway.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 30, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.