Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Stock market rallies HIGHER after Brexit vote Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alevelstresss)
    Lol they're gonna abandon us, we won't have any say here buddy, the UK lost lost all its attractiveness for business investment. There go jobs, bye bye, and there goes economic integrity. Did you want that as well? Or are you only just getting a grasp of how majorly you people ****** up?
    you making predictions or you actually got a load of news stories?

ReputationRep:
    Stop embarrassing yourself, we did not 'win' economically in any way from this stupid decision and probably never will.
    Calm down you poor Remainer...

ReputationRep:
    no one cares about your pseudoeconomics or your half-assed attempt to economically justify this horrible decision
    Can you actually make a cogent argument with facts and statistics instead of this hilarious emotional meltdown?

ReputationRep:
    Lol they're gonna abandon us, we won't have any say here buddy, the UK lost lost all its attractiveness for business investment. There go jobs, bye bye, and there goes economic integrity. Did you want that as well? Or are you only just getting a grasp of how majorly you people ****** up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illegaltobepoor)
    you making predictions or you actually got a load of news stories?
    Yes, I've been watching the news almost consistently since 10:30 am, they've done interviews with various major companies investing in the UK, and they all said that this makes the UK less attractive simply because theres no freedom of movement. Not to mention the American company which has already made preparations to move to Germany. This is just the beginning, we will lose out and you people will sadly never admit it - you'll blame Labour or liberals or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luke Kostanjsek)
    That comment, right there, sums up why Britain voted to leave. The utter ignorance of such a statement beggars belief.

Lots of people on low to middle income have suffered at the hands of globalisation, and specifically open-door immigration. They've seen jobs being given to foreign workers because they're willing to work for less and in worse conditions, which has also placed downwards pressure on the wages of low skilled occupations. They're worried about whether they will be able to get a place for their kids in the local school, they're worried about whether they'll be able to be seen by their GP and they're worried how they'll manage to get onto the housing ladder with demand so manifestly outstripping supply. These are all totally reasonable concerns, motivated not by xenophobia but by what they've seen happen in their communities over the past decade or two. And whilst immigration isn't the only thing contributing to these issues, it certainly plays a part.

And the remain campaign response? 'Stop being so racist, if you oppose immigration and globalisation it's because you're inwards-looking and dislike foreigners and too stupid to understand what's really going on'. No attempt to alleviate those fears, no attempt to set out how these problems can be resolved, just 'shut up, you're too stupid to understand'. It's frankly insulting. I voted leave, but i can understand why someone would vote to remain and respect that decision. The remainers, on the other hand, seem to take this moral high ground where everyone who voted leave is just a quasi-fascist who doesn't understand economics. It's ignorant, it's condescending and above all, it's just cost you the referendum.

Three months ago, it was inconceivable we would leave. The referendum was the remainers' to lose. And by a combination of belittling those who have legitimate concerns with immigration and fighting a campaign of vitriolic diatribe aimed at the leaders of leave - most prominently in the direction of Boris Johnson and Nigel Farage - they've blown it.

So enjoy your moral high ground. It's just caused you to lose the referendum.
    So you're not saying they're wrong - you're saying the media caused the leave vote? Hardly makes it the best decision does it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Tell me that again when Scotland leaves, don't think it won't happen little boy.
    Ha, little boy lol,you're probably 12 or something, we don't need Scotland lmao they can go alone if they want, they'll be ****ed.

ReputationRep:
    So the solution to poor people suffering is to leave one of the main reasons they aren't in even worse poverty?

The 'lower-middle class' who voted for Brexit will be hit hardest, and they don't even know it. This was mainly an anti-establishment vote or an immigrant hate vote.
    Yep, just ignore all the points I mentioned about how immigration has had a negative impact on low-middle income workers.

I'm not even saying that they should have voted for Brexit. I'm saying that it's precisely your line of argument that has cost Remain the vote. Even what you've said their is more of the same. 'Poor lower-middle class people, they're so stupid that they can't even see how they've screwed themselves'. It's incredibly patronising and insulting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KatieBlogger)
    So you're not saying they're wrong - you're saying the media caused the leave vote? Hardly makes it the best decision does it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not the media, the Remain campaign. It's the campaigners with this incredibly patronising viewpoint which has cost themselves the vote. And I was talking pragmatically.

From an objective viewpoint I support Brexit, but for a whole host of reasons (and actually, immigration is pretty low on that list).

ReputationRep:
    Yep, just ignore all the points I mentioned about how immigration has had a negative impact on low-middle income workers.

I'm not even saying that they should have voted for Brexit. I'm saying that it's precisely your line of argument that has cost Remain the vote. Even what you've said their is more of the same. 'Poor lower-middle class people, they're so stupid that they can't even see how they've screwed themselves'. It's incredibly patronising and insulting.
    Immigration is irrelevant because the tories missed their non-Eu immigration goals by a factor of 10. There's no reason why they will suddenly be pro at controlling immigration after this mess. And if anything, Boris and Gove both are PRO immigration, its just Farage who isn't - and he's rather powerless.

And my 'line of argument' didn't cost the remain vote. Cameron did, this stuck up eton public school twit made the promise of a referendum to get re-elected, and he didn't ever actually consider what would happen if we voted to leave - now he's ruined his legacy, he's probably going to have ruined our country, and maybe even all of Europe.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I've been watching the news almost consistently since 10:30 am, they've done interviews with various major companies investing in the UK, and they all said that this makes the UK less attractive simply because theres no freedom of movement. Not to mention the American company which has already made preparations to move to Germany. This is just the beginning, we will lose out and you people will sadly never admit it - you'll blame Labour or liberals or something.
    What if I told you I voted knowing those companies that use low skilled labor would leave? Its inevitable anyway with the rise of Darpa's new robotics. Have you seen this?

ReputationRep:
    Immigration is irrelevant because the tories missed their non-Eu immigration goals by a factor of 10. There's no reason why they will suddenly be pro at controlling immigration after this mess. And if anything, Boris and Gove both are PRO immigration, its just Farage who isn't - and he's rather powerless.

And my 'line of argument' didn't cost the remain vote. Cameron did, this stuck up eton public school twit made the promise of a referendum to get re-elected, and he didn't ever actually consider what would happen if we voted to leave - now he's ruined his legacy, he's probably going to have ruined our country, and maybe even all of Europe.
    Please calm down, you're worrying me...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom_BCFC)
    Ha, little boy lol,you're probably 12 or something, we don't need Scotland lmao they can go alone if they want, they'll be ****ed.
    You're so uninformed its embarrassing.

ReputationRep:
    What if I told you I voted knowing those companies that use low skilled labor would leave? Its inevitable anyway with the rise of Darpa's new robotics. Have you seen this?

I have literally no idea why you've linked me that video tbh

ReputationRep:
    I have literally no idea why you've linked me that video tbh
    Because non-skilled labor isn't needed anymore. We have robots to do that so multi-nationals are going to go where ever labor is the cheapest.

Do you see big computer programming firms moving? I don't.

ReputationRep:
    Because non-skilled labor isn't needed anymore. We have robots to do that so multi-nationals are going to go where ever labor is the cheapest.

Do you see big computer programming firms moving? I don't.
    So its okay to leave the EU because a tiny tiny tiny amount of experimental robots are taking a small amount of unskilled labour jobs?

Did it occur to you that robots do not put any money into the economy, unlike immigrants who are willing to work?

ReputationRep:

I don't think you understand how non-EU immigration works. We choose precisely who comes into the country from outside the EU. We control how many come in, what skills they must have, everything. If lots of people come in from outside the EU, it's because they are the people that we've specifically decided will benefit our economy. Typically this means qualified people who can fill a skills gap. That's a totally different entity to the EU, whose free movement agreement primarily facilitates the movement of unskilled labour, of which we don't have any shortage. I'm not anti-immigration, I'm anti-low skilled immigration, specifically excessive low skilled immigration which we won't see from outside the EU because low-skilled people don't have the qualifications to earn the points to get a work visa.

Firstly, your line of argument most certainly did. Three months ago, Remain's lead seemed impenetrable. The reason Remain have lost is because of the elitist attitude that we are even now seeing espoused. The idea that concerns about immigration inherently make you racist or a bigot or just plain stupid. It alienated a huge proportion of the electorate, and it's cost Remain.

Secondly, Cameron was wrong to let the people decide their own future? Now that says it all. How can you display such a brazen opposition to democracy? Or is it because the people are too stupid to decide what's best for them?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you understand how non-EU immigration works. We choose precisely who comes into the country from outside the EU. We control how many come in, what skills they must have, everything. If lots of people come in from outside the EU, it's because they are the people that we've specifically decided will benefit our economy. Typically this means qualified people who can fill a skills gap. That's a totally different entity to the EU, whose free movement agreement primarily facilitates the movement of unskilled labour, of which we don't have any shortage. I'm not anti-immigration, I'm anti-low skilled immigration, specifically excessive low skilled immigration which we won't see from outside the EU because low-skilled people don't have the qualifications to earn the points to get a work visa.

Firstly, your line of argument most certainly did. Three months ago, Remain's lead seemed impenetrable. The reason Remain have lost is because of the elitist attitude that we are even now seeing espoused. The idea that concerns about immigration inherently make you racist or a bigot or just plain stupid. It alienated a huge proportion of the electorate, and it's cost Remain.

Secondly, Cameron was wrong to let the people decide their own future? Now that says it all. How can you display such a brazen opposition to democracy? Or is it because the people are too stupid to decide what's best for them?
    You're avoiding the point completely. The point is, the Tories FAILED to control non-EU immigration by a whopping factor of 10. They aimed to get it down to the ten thousands, it was actually in the hundred thousands. Regardless of whether or not immigrants are bad for us, they are coming and the Tory government is incapable of stopping that.

And remain didn't 'lose' because of its own attitude. Brexit won because we have a massive population of angry, frustrated, low-middle class brits living in 90-95% white pop hamlets who have no perspective of the outside world. Its the same group which unconditionally votes Tory, and they are dragging the country down. I live in london, and I am disgusted that our progressive and diverse city is being dictated by some nobodies who haven't got a clue where Europe even is.

ReputationRep:
    Dumbest argument

Ftse250 which is a far better proxy was down 7.2%, one of the largest falls in history.

Ftse100 incl many overseas HQ'd companies who benefit from a sterling decline whereas largely domestic earning firms are badly hit

ReputationRep:
    You're avoiding the point completely. The point is, the Tories FAILED to control non-EU immigration by a whopping factor of 10. They aimed to get it down to the ten thousands, it was actually in the hundred thousands. Regardless of whether or not immigrants are bad for us, they are coming and the Tory government is incapable of stopping that.

And remain didn't 'lose' because of its own attitude. Brexit won because we have a massive population of angry, frustrated, low-middle class brits living in 90-95% white pop hamlets who have no perspective of the outside world. Its the same group which unconditionally votes Tory, and they are dragging the country down. I live in london, and I am disgusted that our progressive and diverse city is being dictated by some nobodies who haven't got a clue where Europe even is.
    No target was issued for non-EU migration. The tends of thousands quote is specifically with regards EU migrants. The whole point is, anyone who we let in from outside the EU is someone we've specifically decided can fill a gap in our economy; we've singled out each and every person as someone who is required to improve our economy. Whereas with EU migrants, we have no say over who comes, which means the overwhelming majority are those that do not improve our economy. On the contrary, they punch a hole in the wage floor.

Pretty sure the demographic of Britain hasn't changed that much in the past three months. The polls swung radically in the last couple of months, and the only thing that's changed in that time period is that both sides began campaigning vigorously. It rather suggests that the Remain campaign has failed to convince people, whereas the Leave campaign has performed a staggering turnaround. And you're doing it again, this incredibly condescending tone that anyone who voted out must be thick. That they can't possibly have come to this decision for well founded, logical reasons.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.