Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I voted Leave and 2 things are really making me regret it Watch

ReputationRep:
    OK guys calm down. What's done is done. I couldn't vote, I'm too young, so I'm just learning to accept what's been implemented. There's no point blaming people voting leave and being terribly hostile to each other. I partly blame the media and the news stations for over emphasising this event. Sure, the pound dropped, but that was because the media made it seem like remain was going to usurp leave. Even though I had an inkling that this wasn't the case. This meant a lot of people invested in the pound and when the results for leave kept cascading in, the value dropped. It natural for that to happen and it's a bit of an over reaction from everybody.
    Also, I blame the media for using words such as 'catastrophe' and 'disaster', because of the results because in the end, this is going to cause a lot of tension and uncertainty. How was the result a fail, if there was only two outcomes, leave and remain. We don't KNOW what will happen if we'd have stayed in the EU. We don't KNOW what will happen if we leave. Surely, we should have the incentive to support the decision of the British people and stop being so pessimistic. It was a democracy. The people voted, the results are clear. It's natural to regret your vote, and I'm sure if the results were reversed plenty would regret voting remain. But don't worry, if everyone was just positive about the results then we'd be fine. About the second Scottish referendum, I really dislike Nicola Sturgeon. They've had one already and the results were clear. She didn't get the results she wanted now she wants one again, further adding catastrophe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sebastian Bartlett)
    I didn't vote based on reducing migration and the £350 million figure is fact but was irrelevant. The relevant figure would have been the £9bn or so net a year.
    Those were the two key issues that vote leave campaigned on and posted through letterboxes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    Those were the two key issues that vote leave campaigned on and posted through letterboxes.
    I didn't base my decision purely on what the vote leave or remain camps said. I did my own research looked at both sides and came to the conclusion leaving would be better in the long run. However, I will admit I overlooked the risk of Scotland which pretty much everyone did.

Also I value democracy above most things (that's why I voted leave) and don't feel this result is actually the democratic answer of the country based on turnout, demography, how close the vote was and how so many did vote on misinformation or lack of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tereziscool)
    OK guys calm down. What's done is done. I couldn't vote, I'm too young, so I'm just learning to accept what's been implemented. There's no point blaming people voting leave and being terribly hostile to each other. I partly blame the media and the news stations for over emphasising this event. Sure, the pound dropped, but that was because the media made it seem like remain was going to usurp leave. Even though I had an inkling that this wasn't the case. .
    My dear, I agree. I'm now trying to be a bit more optimistic but it hurts a little because this could have been prevented. Any one starting university in 2018 or after, just pray your tuition fees are not £15,000 per year or anything higher than £9,000. I have younger siblings- one who wants to study medicine. If the fees rise, I'd tell him to find another way of becoming a physician rather than being in £90,000 in debt or whatever raise in amount they try implementing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ComputerMaths97)
    See, wording things differently doesn't make you right.

You could've also said "about the lack of information their peers had on the situation, rather than the older generations decision to have their say in the younger generations future" and it makes it sound like the young did nothing wrong.

I tried doing so much research but everywhere is just biased, worded, like you just showed, to suit an agenda. It's all bullocks. There's no real information for us, the only people with "info" are the older people since they've been around longer, but I still guarentee they're deluded on the whole situation.

I guarentee over 95% of voters, for both sides, were doing so for reasons that were either flat out lies or manipulated truths, but that's all the info we get in this corrupt political world.
    I'm unsure what you're getting at here. There was plenty of information if you did some digging.

That said, if there is a lack of information it applies to everyone, not just young voters. Nor is this a situation unique to this referendum.

Young people can't be bothered to vote or don't take it seriously and make "protest votes" that they turn regret when they win. If they took voting as seriously as their elders then they themselves would be taken more seriously by politicians and their decisions would be counted alongside everyone else's.

(Original post by Shapez)
    Unfortunately there has to be an age restriction. Otherwise every time people will be saying they need to lower age limits because some kids understand it. If you lower it to 16 people will say lower it again to 14, then 12 then 10
    Classic slippery slope argument.

ReputationRep:
    We're a proud bunch and all things considered, generally don't regret anything. We have #votedtoleave and are in the process of taking back control from the bureaucratic elites in Brussels and restoring it to the good people of the land

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0to100)
    How do you know they're leavers? Were you with them when they voted. I wouldn't trust such a flip flopper anyway, regardless if they are lying about their vote or not. The main reason the average citizen would regret anything would be out of letting remainers get in their heads. Maybe they have some remainer mates who won't stfu, dunno. Like celebrities man. They're limousine liberals, the pretenders who try to act all politically pragmatic you know. They normally go liberal to not sadden their fans :rolleyes: Beckham really pissed me off when he said his reason for remaining was about his ****ing football. Shows you how stupid some people are, don't even understand the seriousness of this.
    Yes obviously they just made the story up for no apparent reason rather than admitted they voted remain like my wife and i had.

I feel bad for you if you've so many friends who are compulsive liars that such an argument is your default response.

At any rate they voted leave following a propaganda leaflet which they then looked up and realised it was all nonsense. I doubt they're the only person to make a hasty postal vote before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neal95)
    We're a proud bunch and all things considered, generally don't regret anything. We have #votedtoleave and are in the process of taking back control from the bureaucratic elites in Brussels and restoring it to the good people of the land
    You mean handing back full control to the bureaucratic elites like Michael Gove and Boris Johnson, who just conned you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanL_)
    You mean handing back full control to the bureaucratic elites like Michael Gove and Boris Johnson, who just conned you?
    Nope no cons at least we can vote them out if we don't like them and government can do its proper job instead of pandering to the eu

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sebastian Bartlett)
    I didn't base my decision purely on what the vote leave or remain camps said. I did my own research looked at both sides and came to the conclusion leaving would be better in the long run. However, I will admit I overlooked the risk of Scotland which pretty much everyone did.

Also I value democracy above most things (that's why I voted leave) and don't feel this result is actually the democratic answer of the country based on turnout, demography, how close the vote was and how so many did vote on misinformation or lack of it.
    Sorry mate, but several people on here were saying that Scotland will leave in the event of a Brexit. Even Sturgeon was saying it.

I don't even understand how you can say in the long run, this can be better for the UK.

The GDP forecast for 2017 has been cut 0.2%. Effectively, recession territory and we are still in the EU.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.