Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    We don't have to vote for London independence as a state, but can copy the relationship between HongKong and mainland China. We can still call ourselves as British people, but with independent currency, independent government, and of course, independent rights to join the EU again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NickLCFC)
    London is a British city that belongs to the British people. If there was ever a London independence vote, the entire British population would be entitled to vote. Sorry but this is never going to happen.
    Should everyone in the UK have a vote on whether or not Scotland should be independent because Scotland is part of UK (and Great Britain) and therefore belongs to us all?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    What are you talking about? :gasp:
    Which part don't you get duck? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Legendary Quest)
    Should everyone in the UK have a vote on whether or not Scotland should be independent because Scotland is part of UK (and Great Britain) and therefore belongs to us all?
    I don't remember being asked to vote in the Scottish referendum

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    Which part don't you get duck? :holmes:
    The 'immigrants' part. Does that mean I and most people living within London are immigrants? As fantastic fan has pointed out. We hold British passports but I'm ethnically not English/British.

ReputationRep:
    This isn't a bad idea. Other parts of the UK could offer tax advantages to get companies to relocate there instead.

ReputationRep:
    Will you join us,in London? :kiss:
    Unfortunately I would end up beating most of you up and forcing you to become leavers :nope:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KDDK)
    We don't have to vote for London independence as a state, but can copy the relationship between HongKong and mainland China. We can still call ourselves as British people, but with independent currency, independent government, and of course, independent rights to join the EU again.
    London would still be recognized as a city and not a sovereign nation, what you're trying to say is like asking the Vatican to join the European Union which is a senseless thing to do.

ReputationRep:
    Yes lets be independent.

No, that's a pretty stupid idea. Who cares if the rest of the UK doesn't like Londoners? That's not a legit reason to separate

ReputationRep:
    Do y'all want to be independent from the rest of the U.K.? If so,what would our flag look like

I just think this beautiful city is different from the rest of the U.K. And most of these non Londoners don't seem to like us,I don't know why London is full of fun
    London is a cesspit. Overcrowed, forced acceptance of otrher cultures - cultures I might add that dont mix with each other and stick to themselves; insanely high house prices; and half the city is ghetto-ised now with the influx of poor migrants ttrying to turn where they live back into shanty towns they came from lmao

ReputationRep:
    This is so ****ing stupid. The goal should be to improve other cities so we can have more londons, not to separate Britain even more. Next thing you know all cities will want independence.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    Do y'all want to be independent from the rest of the U.K.? If so,what would our flag look like

I just think this beautiful city is different from the rest of the U.K. And most of these non Londoners don't seem to like us,I don't know why London is full of fun
    I don't like London simply because of its size. Coming from a much smaller city, it can come across as intimidating. That said, I respect London as an economic force and powerhouse and for what it brings culturally, economically, etc. to our country as a whole.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Presumably this has already been posted, but just in case....

ReputationRep:
    Does that mean I and most people living within London are immigrants?
    Yes. If you're not white-British you are, by definition/broadly considered, an immigrant

We hold British passports but I'm ethnically not English/British
    British citizenship/a piece of paper does not alter the fact one is an immigrant/from an immigrant background e.g. if I move to Syria and pickup a passport I don't suddenly become Levantine/stop being classed as an immigrant to the ME

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KDDK)
    A separate currency for London only sounds like an administrative nightmare.

This whole thing about London becoming an independent state is ludicrous Londoners seem to think very highly of themselves compared to the rest of the country. You're not going to get special treatment, snowflakes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Black Cat)
    This whole thing about London becoming an independent state is ludicrous Londoners seem to think very highly of themselves compared to the rest of the country. You're not going to get special treatment, snowflakes.
    The amount of Londoners I've seen crying and comparing a Remain vote to bereavement, I struggle to believe they can possibly cope by themselves.

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    Yes. If you're not white-British you are, by definition/broadly considered, an immigrant

British citizenship/a piece of paper does not alter the fact one is an immigrant/from an immigrant background e.g. if I move to Syria and pickup a passport I don't suddenly become Levantine/stop being classed as an immigrant to the ME
    If you are born in the UK, you're not an immigrant. Having a British passport doesn't mean you're not an immigrant, yeah. But being born and raised in the UK does.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.