Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

People who voted remain who aren't being dramatic and ridiculous post Brexit decision Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    I think your second point is pretty unlikely - the Euro is going to collapse in its current form at least long before we get to that point, if we do.

The first is already happening - it looks like a big public backlash is building against Johnson, Gove and co and I suspect the Tories as a whole.
    If the EU can't survive this, then it's a good thing we left. I think it will survive and indeed thrive as it takes the necessary steps to federalise free from the UK holding them back.

In any case the UK or what's left of it will rejoin piecemeal.

ReputationRep:
    lmao at how OP is a leave voter after all. knew that patronising, self-gratifying tone had to come from somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Twinpeaks)
    Doesn't seem like it, you made another similar post in that thread which looks like it has since been deleted.
    Well I was pretending to be pro-leave to annoy a couple of my friends on here because they were getting so triggered over it.

I voted remain in the end because I feel like it is the best option for us to be in the EU right now, but there were points at which I believed that on PRINCIPLE I don't like aspects of EU bureaucracy and how a union shouldn't dictate like that to such a diverse group of countries.

On balance I think Remain is better. Maybe the fact I at times felt as though leaving might be good and that I weighed it up fully on both sides is why I haven't reacted so dramatically in the aftermath? People seem to have been set so strongly on one side and not really weighed it all up due to some sort of cognitive bias.

I think on balance considering how closely the country voted, it is not as obvious that we should stay as remainers seem to think. Remainers literally think people who voted leave are all stupid and racist. I just can't grasp this attitude or follow their logic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanyapotter)
    lmao at how OP is a leave voter after all. knew that patronising, self-gratifying tone had to come from somewhere.
    Please see above, and stop being so ignorant and jumping to conclusions cause it suits you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by College_Dropout)
    What a ridiculous thread. How about you quit being so patronising?
    I'm not being patronising, I'm being rational.

ReputationRep:
    It's all find and well urging calm but as someone who lives and works in Spain this is hard not to feel like this is a stab in the back by those in the UK who have needlessly jeopardised our jobs and residency status all because a horde of chavs are apparently too stupid and feckless to compete with some uneducated Polish peasants, and the fact is the ability to move and live and study abroad has perhaps been taken away for ever.

I realise many Brexiters are suggesting breezy options wherein we need not worry about this, but given they have turned back on many of their promises and there seems to be no effective political leadership in the UK spelling out what this means, why shouldn't we be furious?

I have the option to get an Irish passport. Others I know are not so lucky.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ferrus)
    As someone who lives and works in Spain this is hard not to feel like a stab in the back by those in the UK, and the fact is the ability to move and live and study abroad has perhaps been taken away for ever.

I realise many Brexiters are suggesting breezy options wherein we need not worry about this, but given they have turned back on many of their promises and there seems to be no effective political leadership in the UK spelling out what this means, why shouldn't we be furious?

I have the option to get an Irish passport. Others I know are not so lucky.
    'the fact is the ability to move and live and study abroad has been taken away for ever'

It hasn't been taken away, it's just been made more difficult. Anyone would think nobody has ever moved or lived or studied anywhere outside of the EU because without a union such a thing is impossible?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cecily Neville)
    I'm not being patronising, I'm being rational.
    I'm not clear, did you vote Leave or Remain? I'm not being offensive, but from your original post, you did come across as a Leaver.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheIr0nDuke)
    Absurd reasoning. We won't be rejoining after we split.

If you think the response to this referendum was bad, any government who rejoined the EU and made us take the euro would provoke mass civil unrest, riots, you name it.
    Not now obviously- but in 10, 20, 30 years who knows?

Young people voted overwhelmingly to stay IN and I do not think team brexiters are going to come out well after all this. Plus, we may be short if Scotland and this would be a huge blow to British exceptionalism.

ReputationRep:
    I completely disagree with you OP, but at least most of us who voted Remain are educated and have better career prospects. The decision will hit the Leave voters hardest, while we will hopefully have the knowledge and skills to save ourselves from economic ruin. We can even find jobs abroad if need be, as British degrees are usually considered to be very valuable.

ReputationRep:
    Please see above, and stop being so ignorant and jumping to conclusions cause it suits you.
    You're lying. You hate EU bureaucracy, yet you called the EU a "bureaucratic hell-hole" in what you claim was a "joke" comment. You would't sarcastically say that if it were the one thing you didn't like about the EU. You'd be contradicting yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    I'm not clear, did you vote Leave or Remain? I'm not being offensive, but from your original post, you did come across as a Leaver.
    as Twin Peaks found I made a post about leaving a couple of weeks ago and I will repeat what I said to him:

Well I was pretending to be pro-leave to annoy a couple of my friends on here because they were getting so triggered over it.

I voted remain in the end because I feel like it is the best option for us to be in the EU right now, but there were points at which I believed that on PRINCIPLE I don't like aspects of EU bureaucracy and how a union shouldn't dictate like that to such a diverse group of countries.

On balance I think Remain is better. Maybe the fact I at times felt as though leaving might be good and that I weighed it up fully on both sides is why I haven't reacted so dramatically in the aftermath? People seem to have been set so strongly on one side and not really weighed it all up due to some sort of cognitive bias.

I think on balance considering how closely the country voted, it is not as obvious that we should stay as remainers seem to think. Remainers literally think people who voted leave are all stupid and racist. I just can't grasp this attitude or follow their logic.

I am still pro-remain. 100%. But that stance is irrelevant.

And what I am trying to avoid is discussion with people who are literally dehumanising leave voters and calling them racist, ignorant and stupid. I am really sick of this attitude.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    Not now obviously- but in 10, 20, 30 years who knows?

Young people voted overwhelmingly to stay IN and I do not think team brexiters are going to come out well after all this. Plus, we may be short if Scotland and this would be a huge blow to British exceptionalism.
    Young voters also had an abysmal turn out so maybe this will wake people up to engage in politics more if they care about the direction of the country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanyapotter)
    You're lying. You hate EU bureaucracy, yet you called the EU a "bureaucratic hell-hole" in what you claim was a "joke" comment. You would't sarcastically say that if it were the one thing you didn't like about the EU. You'd be contradicting yourself.
    There are aspects of the EU I don't like, I won't deny that. If you think the EU is all perfect then you are deluded. But It hink on balance remain was the better option.

But now we have voted to leave we have to rally around that decision if we want our country to prosper.

ReputationRep:
    I’ve made a petition – will you sign it?Click this link to sign the petition:https://petition.parliament.uk/petit...JjPGXFd6IGBcMy petition:'individual' EU membership for UK citizens Visa free, work and study.There is a need for people, especially the young, to be able to move freely for travel and broaden their horizons, education, employment.The recent referendum was a protest about the country not providing the infrastructure and services for it's people before opening the doors to others. The referendum was advisory and not legally binding, and no one, not even the leave party expected the outcome. Individual membership will provide an imcome to the EU, allow free movement without additional paperwork and checks. It is not for large groups to abuse a country's system, but to build friendships and bridges. References available
    I wanted to create a thread where people who actually voted remain could chat about what they now think post -Brexit decision but without all this hysteria and hyperbole being spouted by a lot of the remainers.

I don't want to talk about whether it should have been a referendum for people to vote in because it was.

I don't want to talk about whether old people should be allowed to vote because they were and should be.

I don't want to talk about this momentary and inevitable dip in sterling to justify how terrible leaving is for the economy. It's not even been a week.

I don't want to hear unsubstantiated predictions.

I don't want to discuss things in this doom and gloom attitude like omg everything is terrible I'm ashamed to be British what about my future wah wah ****ing wah.

I wanna discuss the benefits of Brexit in the long term, how we mitigate the short term issues, what to take away from the vote in terms of political awareness and demographic turn out and how Brexit will affect the mood towards party politics in years to come.

I want to talk to remainers who actually didn't get emotional and ridiculous about the vote and who are thinking pragmatically about the future of the U.K.

I've had enough of irony and whinging from the remain voters and the sheer elitism and judgemental behaviour. I want to speak with other remain voters who are being rational and reasoned and not being divisive and stereotyping the majority of this nation.

I have a few articles that I've read in the aftermath which have really resonated and made me feel positive about the future despite the fact the outcome was not what I wanted.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-0...economic-world

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/06...-young-people/

http://hurryupharry.org/2016/06/26/i...-north-gromit/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ferrus)
    And I am supposed to feel extremely grateful that my life has been made more difficult needlessly? **** you.
    Not grateful at all. I didn't say that. But saying it has been taken away forever is a very extreme statement. It hasn't been taken away at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WBZ144)
    I completely agree with you OP, but at least most of us who voted Remain are educated and have better career prospects. The decision will hit the Leave voters hardest, while we will hopefully have the knowledge and skills to save ourselves from economic ruin. We can even find jobs abroad if need be, as British degrees are usually considered to be very valuable.
    Again, this assumption that remain voters are somehow inherently better or more intelligent? Wtf.

ReputationRep:
    Very interesting article by Matthew Holehouse in the Telegraph this evening.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...n-like-greece/

He says "doing a Norway" is off the table already as Juncker is determined not to allow it.

Predicts the UK faces an increase of 800,000 in unemployment and a crash of 6% in GDP.

British graduate unemployment will surge as the EU jobs market gets shut to them and points system on immigration causes chaos in UK employers.

ReputationRep:
    As a remain voter who has lived in Europe, I plan to move back there as soon as possible. I got 2 years-ish to save a much money as i can before going. Maybe in 10 or 15 years when the 17 million exiters become a lot less because they die of old age and are replaced my millions of young adults who want back in and are politically motivated enough to do something about it, I may return but until then moving out.

ReputationRep:

But if that is true, then you simply did not feel as strongly as others did about the issue in the first place. Your reaction is not a strong as those you referred to as 'cry babies' because you didn't hold as strong beliefs as those (including myself).

That is fine, and to be honest I envy that. To not care about this issue as much. But you have to see that others felt a lot more strongly about this than you. And I don't see anything wrong with that.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.