Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who will be the next England manager? Watch

• View Poll Results: Who will be the next England manager?
    Gareth Southgate
    15.28%
    Harry Redknapp
    18.47%
    Alan Shearer
    17.23%
    Eddie Howe
    6.39%
    Glen Hoddle
    4.26%
    Gary Neville
    9.24%
    Someone else..
    29.13%

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately 'speaking to' and 'hiring' isn't the same thing.

F.A. spoke to Martin O'Neill who was eager, and then ditched him for Steve McClaren.

Spoke to Harry who was eager, ditched him for Roy.

Now they're consulting a failed England manager not even from the same sport. Not a stellar record of decision-making.

ReputationRep:
    At least going for Allardyce potentially means they will have to make a quick decision. Not particularly fair on Sunderland to have their pre-season ruined by on-going speculation and talks. Of the English candidates, he's probably a good option.

Meanwhile, choose your England manager here. I got Glenn Hoddle

ReputationRep:
    Allardyce it is then.

Interested to see how this goes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Gotta feel for Sunderland there. Finally get the right man for a bit of stability aaaaaand he's gone.

ReputationRep:
    That must surely mean first caps for noble and cresswell? Oh, and Andy Carroll getting a few more
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Maybe they can have an England team that fights and is able to defend?

ReputationRep:
    He's the best candidate available - albeit not the most inspiring - but he'll do better than Hodgson at an international tournament and will handle the pressure than his predecessor did. Naturally he will call up players he's managed but if those he does offer something to the team and Allardyce least has tactics at the forefront of his mind then he could get the best out of them at an international level.

ReputationRep:
    Wow. Got to give my hat of to Allardyce. He's come a long long way. For many years opinions about his playing style belittled any sort of possible England job especially when he was at Bolton. However I think he's most previous clubs, West Ham and Sunderland. Shows that he can diversify. He's also going to have to prepare for massive future gruelling from the press over his footballing philosophies and he's also going to have to work hard to gain respect from the massive egos in the dressing room, that play for teams he could only dream of managing.

All in all. I'm optimistic. As I've noticed and said in my past posts. We don't need a big name to get international success. We need a motivator when the pressures is on. An inspiration when matches test the players mental strength. And lastly, someone who knows his squad. He doesn't let us or the press pick his team sheet. He doesn't play a Harry Kane simply because he is Harry Kane. Or a Lampard & Gerrard together, just because they brake loads and loads of records in the Premier league.
    However that is not to say he should completely ignore everyone in an "Arsene-type" way. He must also use his head and find a balance. If everyone else can see a player is severely under-performing, he should not continue to have faith in that player, in hope they could find form and then he can get all the glory by showing us how wonderful a manager he is. He must put his country first before himself. He must pick his best team. That team must be the team he feels has the best chance of winning.

If he does all these things. Sam Allardyce. You have my backing.

ReputationRep:
    Will we finally see England call up players who have performed for their clubs, and not just because they are playing for a "big club"? I hope so

ReputationRep:
    In for when Big Sam brings football home from Russia in 2018

ReputationRep:
    Regardless of who we got beat by in the Euro's, our fundamental strategy was completely wrong; we never went in with the intention of winning the tournament. We tried to play free-flowing, attractive, attacking football, and that was the mistake. Unless you're Spain, Germany or France, you do not have the talent to play that way and win a competition. You need a plan.

Look at CL, the teams that have disrupted Bayern, Barca and Real are teams such as: Inter, Atletico, Juventus and Chelsea. They all played 'anti-football' and that's the way every team (that isn't the best) should play. Not just in the big games, but in all games, get used to it. Italy, Portugal, Wales and Iceland had the right strategy.

Sam Allardyce is the perfect manager for the England team as he will not be swayed by fancy lady boys. We need to be hard to beat, celebrate clean-sheets like golazos, and play 4-4-****ing-2 or 5-3-2. No fancy ****, like 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3. 2 strikers; big man and little man. Sorted. *

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    Will we finally see England call up players who have performed for their clubs, and not just because they are playing for a "big club"? I hope so
    Defoe alone is vindication for everything England has got in the past decade. The guy should be one of England's top goalscorers but sometimes he didn't even make a tournament's standby list.

And now it's too late for guys like him and Nolan to get their chances, but perhaps we might see the likes of Tomkins and Antonio (form permitting) rather than Stones and Sterling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by richpanda)
    In for when Big Sam brings football home from Russia in 2018
    accidentally.

I'm dissapointed I won't get to see Allardichie celebrating a 0-0 win against Guardiola on the opening day of the season.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ozzyoscy)
    Defoe alone is vindication for everything England has got in the past decade. The guy should be one of England's top goalscorers but sometimes he didn't even make a tournament's standby list.

And now it's too late for guys like him and Nolan to get their chances, but perhaps we might see the likes of Tomkins and Antonio (form permitting) rather than Stones and Sterling.
    Completely agree. Sterling is a speed-abuser and Stones is a straight up fraud who is stealing a living due to the fact that he can make a 25 yard pass with reasonable accuracy.. 'playing from the back' I think they call it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manchester United)
    Completely agree. Sterling is a speed-abuser and Stones is a straight up fraud who is stealing a living due to the fact that he can make a 25 yard pass with reasonable accuracy.. 'playing from the back' I think they call it.
    I agree with the Sterling part, but it is unfair to say Stones is stealing a living. Bear in mind he's only 21, which is very young for a centre back

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the Sterling part, but it is unfair to say Stones is stealing a living. Bear in mind he's only 21, which is very young for a centre back
    Most people who rave about him don't even watch him closely, they just jumped on the hype train after watching a few MOTD's. Defensively speaking, he has done nothing to suggest he is worthy of a spot in the England setup. **** the youth, you play your best XI that fits the system, and if that means dropping a 21 y.o pop star then so be it.

If only Philanz Jonesbauer's career had not been riddled with injuries.. @KenanandKel @KelandKenan

ReputationRep:
    James Tomkins and Simon Francis played better last season than Stones. Actually they played better than him the season before too.

When you have the newspapers pretending Barcelona are interested in every English youngster who's had a good start in history, you can see why people hype them, they think it's true.

ReputationRep:
    It might be harsh about stones.
    When I saw him @ Sunderland he was woeful and judging on that performance it is true.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.