Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Lol. Gove uses the Roman 'VI' instead of '6'. But writes it small-i.

Pretentious? Moi?
    He is probably channelling Napoleon or something.

ReputationRep:
    What an incredible shambles. Boris is a joke. After destabilising the whole continent with a Brexit victory he never really wanted (he just hoped a narrow Remain win would save the day while improving his standing amongst the right of the party) he now runs a mile. At least he was going for an EEA-type agreement as he was never really anti-EU to begin with. Gove is a purist and his agenda is much more extreme. I really hope May wins this, but I am not holding my breath.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yellow 03)
    What an incredible shambles. Boris is a joke. After destabilising the whole continent with a Brexit victory he never really wanted (he just hoped a narrow Remain win would save the day while improving his standing amongst the right of the party) he now runs a mile. At least he was going for an EEA-type agreement as he was never really anti-EU to begin with. Gove is a purist and his agenda is much more extreme. I really hope May wins this, but I am not holding my breath.
    Boris chickened and Gove betrayed him as a result. His career should be over now.

ReputationRep:
    Ol' Boris shot himself in the foot didn't he lmao. Ah well. Hoping May will beat Gove or things are going to get even worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    Boris chickened and Gove betrayed him as a result. His career should be over now.
    You mean Boris's career? That's my view, too.

Some people say that he is just pulling out of the race now to let others clean up the mess and that he will return a couple of years later when things have calmed down a bit. But I just can't see this. Surely his narcissistic and petty political machinations are now so transparent that there is no way back for him. I would have thought he is politically dead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yellow 03)
    You mean Boris's career? That's my view, too.

Some people say that he is just pulling out of the race now to let others clean up the mess and that he will return a couple of years later when things have calmed down a bit. But I just can't see this. Surely his narcissistic and petty political machinations are now so transparent that there is no way back for him. I would have thought he is politically dead.
    Yeah, Borris is over.

He used Brexit to become Prime Minister; he won and lost at the same time. Fascinating.

Boris Johnson and the rest of his clueless squad will not commit political hara-kiri by setting aside the referendum result. Truth be told, they're waiting to see what Nigel Farage says so that they can parrot him. You know as well as I do that Boris and crew cannot think out policies on their own. They're part of the Westminster bubble, living in a world of their own.

Would you believe me if I told you that Boris and Gove had thought it all before they decided to back the Vote Leave campaign? Many of the commentariat and several others on this forum were clearly politically illegitimate that they did not know that Cameron would have to vacate his place if he lost in the referendum.

I chuckled when BBC kept running the news that 82 ministers had written a letter to him to tell him they would support his continued Premiership regardless or given the referendum result. Clearly the chaps must have read a different political textbook or ministerial code of regulations
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...ng-david-came/
    http://www.conservativehome.com/parl...-unlikely.html

For those who're unaware, the BBC is part of the State whose role is to be the political mouthpiece of the Conservative government. To air programmes or conduct interviews that would put the Tory government in bad light is not welcomed. This is not how a special relationship operates.

Have you ever see any BBC presenter/interviewer hold any of the Tories to account on live tv? Precisely The way the BBC questions Farage and asks him all the important questions, you would think Farage was the Prime Minister of UK

We should not forget what the heart of the issue is. UK has achieved independence from EU!
    So what does Brexit mean?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    The days are numbered where
    • vile people can simply come into UK, form grooming gangs to sexually molest, rape & even murder innocent girls and then disappear
    • doctors with fake medical certs can perform operations that results in patient deaths and then disappear
    • unskilled workers, migrants etc from all over the world can take a plane to London Heathrow, get council homes, receive monetary benefits and start large families without doing any proper work to the cost of the ever-obliging & obedient British taxpayer
    • people can fly to London, receive medical treatment or go into labour and then return back to their home countries without footing the bill
    • terrorists can walk into UK, go to enclaves, promote ill-will and hatred against other races and religions, orchestrate attacks and then disappear without a trace
    With Brexit and with the right PM & ministers, we must first
    1. confer real powers on Immigration officers stationed at all points of entry into UK, to conduct checks on people wanting to enter UK.
    2. With the exit and entry points secured, the new PM must sanction a joint task force operation between the (much publicized failed & powerless) Border Agency and Police forces, go into every borough and check for illegal immigrants (overstayers without valid visas), people with invalid/fake papers and without work permits, those who're wanted by the police or have jumped bail and round them up to be dealt with accordingly.
    3. Provide extra funding to the General Medical Council (GMC) and empower them to conduct checks on foreign doctors and identify those with dubious qualifications and report them to the Police
    4. For (2) and (3), detain the identified wrongdoers for 48 hours for initial investigations, allow the police to apply for an extension of remand to assist with further police investigations, accelerate their date with the court, provide them with legal counsel of their choice or otherwise and let the criminal justice system take its course. If they are found guilty, they will serve their sentence and upon release, be immediately deported to their home countries and never allowed to step foot into UK again.
    5. Construct a processing centre to be located overseas which will evaluate and process all asylum claims etc. People need to know that they can't just turn up at the door and be expected to be let in.

When thousands of illegal immigrants attempted to enter Australia by sea via Indonesia with the aid of people smugglers, PM Toby Abbott politely warned them that if they continued this mode of entry, their boats would be shot down. They thought he was joking. He wasn't. The Australian Navy did shoot at them and these boats stopped entering Australian waters altogether.
    6. Implement an Australian styled points system where people from all over the world with the necessary skills & qualifications, no criminal records, no terrorists links, no HIV/AIDS will be invited to apply for a work permit. But this is only to be done after job openings have been filled up by British citizens first and if there are vacant places, these will then be filled up by foreigners who would have passed the stringent background checks.
    The £350 million we send to EU weekly, can now be used to invest in our NHS, build more hospitals, recruit more police officers, teachers, nurses, junior doctors etc and increase their salaries, give incentives (funding, tax breaks) to British citizens to start their own businesses (entrepreneurship) and so much more because the positive possibilities are endless.

Boris is clueless. We must not make the mistake of conflating our fondness for him with whether he has the ability to be the PM. He has never worked a day in the real world. His only 1 ½ achievements are Boris Bikes and taking the credit for the London Olympics when it should have been accorded to Ken Livingstone and Ken Livingstone alone.

The problem in UK when it comes to politics is that people vote according to party affiliations. If your great grandpa was Labour, so too would your grandpa, your dad and yourself. In the past, politicians did real work for the people. After Thatcher was ousted, several politicians were in it for themselves. As long as they can claim fraudulent expenses, buy multiple homes, send their children to tops UK and US unis, then only are they contented. The welfare of the people is the least of their concern.

If you have diligently watched the telecasts of the hustings period during the campaign, Boris spoke loads of gibberish (which is normal of him) and the only time he said anything comprehensible was when he said that UK must adopt a migration policy akin to the Australian point based system etc. These were never his points or that of the official designate Leave campaign. All he did was to use what Farage said without citing him as the source.

Brexit was achieved because of the Leave Campaign headed by Nigel Farage. Boris, Gove and the rest of their clique knows this. But they are far too thick-skinned to even accept it for what it is. They have taken credit for the achievement and textbook writers will be paying homage to them in future editions of law and political textbooks.

The thing is Cameron, Boris and clique are at the end of the day, still Conservative party members. Even though they have their differences, they will put it aside for the sake of the party's continued tenure in government and also because they cannot allow Labour to get back into power. Corbyn for me is okay. As long as clowns like Milliband, Balls, Yvette Cooper, Harriett Harman are nowhere near the shawdow Cabinet then that's fine with me.

But what I think will happen is that if Corbyn is ousted and given that Cameron has resigned (although if you watched his speech outside 10 Downing Street on the morning after, you would think he was stepping aside to take another of his many vacations he takes during the course of a year) then another general election may be triggered.

If there is another general election, the electorate are not stupid and are mindful of
    • the fact that Brexit has been achieved
    • Cameron having resigned but will be at the helm till October when the successor is named at the party's conference
    • Boris and crew are now saying that there is no need to rush to initiate immediate divorce proceedings from EU
    • Boris and crew's attempt of repeatedly conflating access to single market with freedom of movement of people
    • EU top brass having said to the effect that Cameron, Boris and co are wrong about everything they've said about the immediate process that follows after Brexit
    If Boris and crew allows this to happen, UKIP may win the next general election. Lest you forget, UKIP garnered close to 4 million votes in the last general election and you have to bear in mind about the perils of the F.P.T.P system.

You cannot lie to the people all the time. You will eventually be found out and once you've been found out, you will have to pay the price. This is how democracy works.

ReputationRep:
    Does no one else feel like he was coerced by British Intelligence not to run? I feel like he must have been held at gunpoint to give something like this up.

ReputationRep:
    I still don't really understand why Boris dropped out... Surely Gove isn't that popular... Boris would still have had a reasonable chance of getting into the final 2, then obviously he'd have had a strong chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chief Wiggum)
    I still don't really understand why Boris dropped out... Surely Gove isn't that popular... Boris would still have had a reasonable chance of getting into the final 2, then obviously he'd have had a strong chance.
    Presumably Boris's support had leaked over to Gove. Being the two brexiters they would be fishing in the same pool.

Clearly if Boris could see a realistic path to victory he would be in the race.

ReputationRep:
    Many of the MPs who supported him did so because Gove backed him.

Bojo gave the impression that he had chickened out since the vote and the hard liners left him for Gove.

ReputationRep:
    Either he just chickened out due to the leadership challenge by Gove, as others have said, or Gove's leadership challenge just gave him the opportunity to extricate himself from the terrible mess he found himself in. BoJo never really wanted (presumably) the leave campaign to win but when it did he was stuck with having to manage the most controversial and difficult negotiations the country has faced in many decades. He would also now have to lead the country out of Europe and into uncharted territory, including navigating through possible separatist movements in Scotland and NI. That's not a job he signed up for, nor a job he could actually do. He likes to be liked, and he likes to make grand speeches and statements that don't have real consequences, but he has no political or moral stature.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanyapotter)
    Does no one else feel like he was coerced by British Intelligence not to run? I feel like he must have been held at gunpoint to give something like this up.
    Honestly, it's just him. Students of the Boris are well used to his whimsical nature, laziness under fire and reluctance to truly take things on.

Entering Leave at the last minute was a sort of personal drama for him, coming over all Churchillian, but without any of the extraordinarily gritty determination to see things through that characterised that leader.

ReputationRep:
    maybe something along the lines of Dave & Miss Piggy but MUCH WORSE is in Boris' closet

:dontknow:*

ReputationRep:
    Lol, Boris supporters at the Torygraph are having kittens. :lol:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...atic-and-calc/

Boris was their pet candidate and they pay him (seriously) half a million a year for his weekly column, which in the past has mainly consisted of fabricated stories about the EU which always turned out to be, er, fabrications. I wonder what he will do for copy now?

ReputationRep:
    Chief Wiggum tanyapotter One more perspective re the motivations of Boris pulling out of the race is given by the Huffington Post, according to which he was forced to step down: Apparently Rupert Murdoch and Paul Dacre (Daily Mail editor) "instinctively" disliked Boris and there were going to be new tabloid revelations about his private life. Not that far fetched a scenario, in my view. I'm happy to see the back of Boris, but as far as political assassinations go, this must be one of the most common ones.

The full article is here:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entr...b0d18f7514b591

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.