Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Do you think the next leader of the Conservative party should call a General Election watch

• View Poll Results: Do you think the next leader of the Conservative party should call a General Election
    Yes.
    64.41%
    No.
    25.37%
    I don't know.
    10.21%

ReputationRep:
    If there was a General Election with Theresa May versus Jeremy Corbyn, how many seats would each party win?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanyapotter)
    Ironic that you voted to leave the EU because of the unelected bureaucrats, yet you're advocating for the British public to deal with an unelected Prime Minister for the next 4 years..
    We don't have a directly elected PM. David Cameron was only elected by 35,201 people as MP for Witney. He has a mandate to be an MP and a mandate to be PM as his party won the 2015 election.
    Theresa May would have three mandates: the mandate the Conservative Party got in 2015 when they won the election, the mandate given by the Conservative Party in a leadership election and a mandate to be an MP by the electors of Maidenhead.
    The Conservatives have a mandate to be in government until May 2020.

ReputationRep:
    YES.

I had hoped that Teresa May would go for this option - and I'm surprised she has already ruled this out. The majority of Tory MPs don't want Brexit. She's going to find it difficult (!) getting any exit legislation voted through. A General Election on 'Brexit, Yes or No' would allow a more considered final vote - and actually make any subsequent legislation more legitimate.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    YES.

I had hoped that Teresa May would go for this option - and I'm surprised she has already ruled this out. The majority of Tory MPs don't want Brexit. She's going to find it difficult (!) getting any exit legislation voted through. A General Election on 'Brexit, Yes or No' would allow a more considered final vote - and actually make any subsequent legislation more legitimate.
    That's what whips are for, and there should be enough MPs with just about enough common sense and decency to at least abstain allowing an easy passage. You're not going to get any more "legitimacy" than the referendum gave.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanyapotter)
    Ironic that you voted to leave the EU because of the unelected bureaucrats, yet you're advocating for the British public to deal with an unelected Prime Minister for the next 4 years..
    You have a point there but didn't the same happen with Gordon Brown?

ReputationRep:
    If Mishcon de Reya's legal challenge to Brexit is successful and an Act of Parliament is required to invoke Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty I think the issue of invoking Article 50 should be put to the electorate because 52% voted for Brexit while 75% of MPs backed Remain. This imbalance needs to be redressed in my view.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by MaxReid)
    If Mishcon de Reya's legal challenge to Brexit is successful and an Act of Parliament is required to invoke Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty I think the issue of invoking Article 50 should be put to the electorate because 52% voted for Brexit while 75% of MPs backed Remain. This imbalance needs to be redressed in my view.
    How? By way of GE?

If so, I agree but it would split the tories. Remain MPs wouldn't* be able to support a Pro-Leave Manifesto and would be replaced by their local selection committees.

*assuming they are conviction politicians...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    How? By way of GE?

If so, I agree but it would split the tories. Remain MPs wouldn't* be able to support a Pro-Leave Manifesto and would be replaced by their local selection committees.

The negotiated deal with the EU would have to put to the electorate and invoking article 50 would be part of that. Maybe use a referendum to gain approval of the negotiated settlement and then invoke article 50.
    I don't know what the 75% Remain MPs would do in that situation, abstain on the vote on Article 50 perhaps?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by MaxReid)
    The negotiated deal with the EU would have to put to the electorate and invoking article 50 would be part of that. Maybe use a referendum to gain approval of the negotiated settlement and then invoke article 50.
    I don't know what the 75% Remain MPs would do in that situation, abstain on the vote on Article 50 perhaps?
    Hmm, no I don't think the timing works like that. Mishcon is saying Parliament needs to vote to initiate A50. Another referendum on that question wouldn't help (although it would be nice ).

But I do agree a referendum/GE to rubberstamp the final, post-negotiation offer should be required.

The other issue is the contention from Malmstrom that trade negotiations can only happen after A50 has taken effect (i.e. in 2+ years time). If that's the case we are in deep doo-doo because we'd have no negotiating leverage at all, and it makes it less likely that A50 will ever actually be triggered!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    How? By way of GE?

Most Tory and Labour MP's have accepted the will of the people. There is a parliamentary majority in these circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    I wanted to say thank you to every single person who voted and took part in the discussion. I have to say, very interesting result.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.