Who was the most successful ruler in history?

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    Jaehaerys the conciliator

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    continents:

- Asia - Akbar, Darius, Cyrus

- Africa - Musa

- Americas - Lincoln

- Europe - Charlegmange, Marcus Aurelius, Louis Sun King

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grand High Witch)
    Based on all of the factors of success combined overall: keeping their people in check, expanding their realm in terms of wealth and influence, securing their position in terms of uprisings, foreign enemies, etc.

Again, this is overall and based on all the factors - just because a particular leader in history led great military campaigns does not mean their domestic leadership was any good.

Who takes the top spot?
    For keeping the people in check i feel most rulers [except those deposed] can take equal credit;
    Mary burned those who went against her, Victoria over saw people in India blown from the gun, Ivan the Terrible well the name speaks for itself..

Expansion;
    Ivan the terrible secured Russias rapid expansion when Kazan fell, Marco Polo secured a new and highly important trade route, George presided over the empire at its biggest point, Bismark created the most powerful european state, obviously the rulers of the Ming Dynasty too..
    Wealth - British/Dutch/Spanish/chinese oweing to the respective empires
    Foreign enemies ho ho ho Britain arguably takes the top spot for that 'the empire on which the blood never dries', Germanys genocidal tendancies.. but America of course under there various presidents from ww2 onwards.

ReputationRep:
    https://youtu.be/n9aYrURLHh0

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    There's no single answer as there are too many variables. However, Napoleon Bonaparte was the first to come to mind.

An all time military genius he fought about 60 battles (if memory serves me right) and won most of them - certainly enough to make the case that he won more battles than any other general in history.

He nearly conquered all of Europe and did this while honoring the ideas of the French Revolution. Also, his political influences are still felt today; the Code Napoléon being a prime example.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheHistoryKid)
    Umar Ibn Al-Khattab is a notable mention
    Yes and salahuddeen al ayubi and khalifa musailamah. And mohammad pbuh, abu bakr, usman and ali. May allah be pleased with them all

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Queen Victoria.

ReputationRep:
    Saladin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adamski191)
    If I had to pick, it would be Alexander the Great. After all, he did bring an end to the tyranny of the Persians, created an empire from Albania to Afghanistan, and left behind a ginormous legacy that is still making an impact to this very day. He was never defeated in battle, he created numerous famous cities (Alexandria, Egypt, for example), built tons of monuments that we still cherish today, and died a hero. It's too bad he didn't live on for longer. Who knows what would have become of the Ancient, and our Modern, world if he had?
    "Tyranny of Persia"?
    That's a bit biased isn't it. The times were violent, the Greeks were no less bloodthirsty than the Persians. So retract that statement from further use

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Al-Ayubi)
    Saladin.
    Definitely one of - he united the Middle East and defended against hordes of European crusaders

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emobambam)
    I too thought about John F Kennedy because of the Space Race and what he did for racial equality in America but he was only president for 3 years
    What did he do for racial equality that wasn't forced on him?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moggis)
    What did he do for racial equality that wasn't forced on him?
    he did the right thing. He cared about what was right and just thing. He could have been like the previous 10 presidents and ignored the problem. He felt African Americans should be equal and he stood behind that. He could have not called this National Guard and those troubled places.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adamski191)
    If I had to pick, it would be Alexander the Great. After all, he did bring an end to the tyranny of the Persians, created an empire from Albania to Afghanistan, and left behind a ginormous legacy that is still making an impact to this very day. He was never defeated in battle, he created numerous famous cities (Alexandria, Egypt, for example), built tons of monuments that we still cherish today, and died a hero. It's too bad he didn't live on for longer. Who knows what would have become of the Ancient, and our Modern, world if he had?
    Huh. Wait didn't alexander fail in conquering afghanistan?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raizelcadres)
    Lol yeah he did actually. "Every step I take is like going against an iron wall. This is the land of the lion-like" - He wrote to his mother. Afghanistan has always been a warring nation, the Soviets at the climax of their power failed too. But the bottom line is, yeah he did fail in Afghanistan

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I wish I knew more about leaders in history, this is such an interesting and important topic. When I think of successful leaders I don't always think of 'good' ones. For example Hitler and Stalin were very destructive, but had a lot of support and power behind them, it's an intriguing debate!

ReputationRep:
    king herman van rumpuy (swt)

ReputationRep:
    Francois Hollande

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raizelcadres)
    No, he conquered Afghanistan (called Bactria). He reached India and defeated King Porus somewhere south of Islamabad, but his soldiers rebelled and refused to go farther east. So it is traditionally said that he failed to conquer India, but his empire already stretched on 6,000 kms.

Bactria then became an independent Greek kingdom and a thriving civilisation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    No, he conquered Afghanistan (called Bactria). He reached India and defeated King Porus somewhere south of Islamabad, but his soldiers rebelled and refused to go farther east. So it is traditionally said that he failed to conquer India, but his empire already stretched on 6,000 kms.

Bactria then became an independent Greek kingdom and a thriving civilisation.
    As an afghan I have never researched it myself since so many afghans have told me Alexander failed to conquer Afghanistan, so thank you for that and forgive me for my ignorance

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 12, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Wake up and smell the...
Useful resources
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.