Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If a homeless person was begging you to buy them breakfast, would you ignore them? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    If I had money for it then yes probably

Damn, you must have a really big heart, but it is hard for me because it is not my duty

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gswp)
    A lot of people here just lyingPretending to be good caring people online but the reality is, thousands of homeless people are ignored every day. I hope i'm wrong but many people here claiming they would help would just walk past without batting an eye
    Yes, you are correct that thousands of homeless people are ignored every day, but there are thousands more homeless people who are helped by passers-by.
    And what would be the point of 'pretending' online?
    You should have more faith in human nature.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Mason)
    Damn, you must have a really big heart, but it is hard for me because it is not my duty
    Whose duty is it, then? And why does it have to be about duty? I'm a pensioner and can't always afford it, but I would hope someone might do the same for me if I were in that position.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seamus123)
    Whose duty is it, then? And why does it have to be about duty? I'm a pensioner and can't always afford it, but I would hope someone might do the same for me if I were in that position.

The government or some charities.
    Well as a pensioner you worked hard for your pension, so you're entitled to a liveable pension

ReputationRep:
    Do you not think that we have a moral responsibility to help those who are vulnerable and in need, though?
    A bar of chocolate late or a packet of biscuits or a hot drink isn't much to ask.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seamus123)
    Do you not think that we have a moral responsibility to help those who are vulnerable and in need, though?
    A bar of chocolate late or a packet of biscuits or a hot drink isn't much to ask.

Yes, but as I not should be asked to pay for a strangers breakfast, on a commute, and it is not okay to burden a stranger
    I was a bit intimidated

ReputationRep:
    I tend not to give money to people begging for money because lots are actually not homeless and do that professionally, but if someone came up to me and asked for breakfast I definitely would buy them one(or at least give them some money if I was in a rush)

ReputationRep:
    I am wary of beggars / homeless people these days. Some run like a cartel, organised operation fighting for certain lucrative spots... Can make hundreds of £'s a day

ReputationRep:
    Going to uni this year for the first time I was shocked at the amount of homeless people in the city centre. I generally do if asked but have never been. The more common occurrence is I'll overhear asking a homeless person asking someone other than myself for food. I often, double back as I did when I brought a guy Café Nero or the guy I bought a Burger King meal. I often go up and down the main street and hand out sandwiches worth it because IAAMOAC.

Edit: For a safety tip id add I don't give anyone money since who knows where it would end up and I'm wary of people who claim they know me when we have never met etc. but 99% of the homeless people I've met are stand up people.

ReputationRep:
    Not an assumption. The act of refusing to feed hungry people (provided you have the means to) in and of itself makes you an ********.

What a rude assumption

ReputationRep:
    Well there are people who fake that they are homeless. I mean i've seen this a lot in France. They can afford clothes and food but they still say that they are homeless when they aren't. However, i would give them anything that i have.

ReputationRep:
    Homeless people can't work because they have no address.
    There are loads of jobs that homeless people can do without having an address, i.e. handing out leaflets for money et cetera...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marshall Taylor)
    There are loads of jobs that homeless people can do without having an address, i.e. handing out leaflets for money et cetera...
    For any type of paid work, you will need an address otherwise it's illegal

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely not. If I wanted to help homeless people I would donate to a charity.

ReputationRep:
    True, we're not obligated to give anything to the homeless

ReputationRep:
    no i wouldn't as you don't know them and who are you to judge whether they're telling the truth and you're not reponsible for whether they get fed

ReputationRep:
    No one has a legal responsibility to feed the homeless.
    In the town I live in, we have a lot of homeless people. I know who isn't genuine, who does it for drugs/alcohol, and those who have a roof over their heads. There are those among them who prefer the lifestyle - no responsibilities.

ReputationRep:
    For any type of paid work, you will need an address otherwise it's illegal
    Hostel's address?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marshall Taylor)
    Hostel's address?
    I thought we were talking about homeless people living on the streets..

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i would

But once there was a homeless dude living in a shopping trolley outside a big store with his laundry bag of clothes. I went in to get food and saw him so I was like I'll get him something too but when I went out to give it to him he rejected me.... bare r00d. Oh well more for me xP poor guy.

But yeah I do help... I just don't have it in me to turn them away so I always give spare change if I have it. If they use it for drugs whatever... at least I gave them an option.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.