Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peroxidation)
    While we're predominantly an atheist nation now
    which is why I'd suggest if anything we should have a FSM related bank holiday, so either September 19th for Talk like a Pirate day, or the new year, which is September 26th.

ReputationRep:
    It's unfair on non Muslim pupils at school firstly because of the principal that Muslims get additional holidays (when they are also allowed Christian national holidays as the uk law and society was foremost based on Christian teachings) also because it disenables learning for non Muslim pupils who are at school as teachers cannot teach when a small majority of the class is absent. However, as the uk is multi cultural and ethnic- to support religious freedom- all holidays that are recognised as important enough to require time off from school and work should be considered a national holiday- this would also allow multi fath families and communities to share their fath and celebrate together. This could also achieve greater community cohesion and reduce racial tension as some non Muslims believe it is unfair that Muslims can be seen as getting special treatment .

ReputationRep:
    Can we make Kwanzaa a national holiday too?*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craig1998)
    Since when was Christianity British anyway.
    Jesus was British. *Duh.

ReputationRep:
    Not signing. Muslims can take the day off if they want but there's no reason it should be made a national holiday when this country doesn't have an Islamic heritage.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    I would l like more national holidays. We had many in Trinidad. I miss my long weekends. Prefer them to half terms tbh.

(Original post by thunder_chunky)
    Can we make Kwanzaa a national holiday too?*
    My African name is to do with Kwanzaa actually .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    Not signing. Muslims can take the day off if they want but there's no reason it should be made a national holiday when this country doesn't have an Islamic heritage.
    This .
    (Original post by Kvothe the arcane)
    * *My African name is to do with Kwanzaa actually .
    kingkiller?*

ReputationRep:
    No. Nothing should be done to normalise Islam in this country.

If anything we should be changing the religious holiday to secular ones but as they part of the history of the country I understand why it is the way it is.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    This.
    Things change and we are a secular nation.
    kingkiller?*
    Lol, you know the one.

ReputationRep:
    If you get this as a national holiday, what's stopping every other religion from getting theirs?

If it carries on eventually every day will be a national holiday and nobody will need to work.

(Original post by NickLCFC)
    That wouldn't really make much sense considering how small the Chinese population is. Muslims on the other hand are 5% of the total population.
    Christian country founded on Christian law. If Muslims want Muslim holidays and Muslim-compatible laws, maybe they would be better served by living in a Muslim country?

ReputationRep:
    Why would you sign this if you're non-Muslim??? Christmas is a traditional celebration due to Britain's Christian's roots (even though we're more of secular nation now) . Eid isn't so should not be a national holiday. Tbh I'm not even sure what Eid is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladymusiclover)
    Why would you sign this if you're non-Muslim??? Christmas is a traditional celebration due to Britain's Christian's roots (even though we're more of secular nation now) . Eid isn't so should not be a national holiday. Tbh I'm not even sure what Eid is.
    Google 'Eid'

and if you have a strong constitution add the word 'slaughter'

this alone should be reason to not accept this as a 'holiday' in the UK
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by AccountingBabe)
    So Muslims should get extra days off??? No way... Never happening. They can quit their jobs if they want days off.
    Using that logic they shouldn't be allowed Christmas or Easter off as holidays.

ReputationRep:
    They should get the day off without having to use up their annual leave. Its their religious festival why should they have to go to work on that day. My uncles always have to go to work on Eid and its not fair

ReputationRep:
    No, this is utterly pointless. Only 4.5% of the UK's population is muslim. Are you saying that everyone has to observe this holiday which so few people believe in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladymusiclover)
    Eid isn't so should not be a national holiday. Tbh I'm not even sure what Eid is.
    Lolled.

(Original post by ali-g12)
    No, this is utterly pointless. Only 4.5% of the UK's population is muslim. Are you saying that everyone has to observe this holiday which so few people believe in?
    The proportion of the population which is muslim is rapidly rising. IIRC, over 10% of births are muslim, and Muhammed is the most popular baby name. They are a significant enough proportion of the population that we have to make some concessions, at the very least, otherwise we will just foster tensions like we are seeing in the US, France, Belgium, and other countries

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    The proportion of the population which is muslim is rapidly rising. IIRC, over 10% of births are muslim, and Muhammed is the most popular baby name. They are a significant enough proportion of the population that we have to make some concessions, at the very least, otherwise we will just foster tensions like we are seeing in the US, France, Belgium, and other countries
    We don't have to.

ReputationRep:
    So instead of Christmas lights would we get the below on the streets instead?

I must warn you do not open the spoiler if you are upset by animal cruelty (but if you are you SHOULD open this to know what happens)
    Spoiler:
    Show

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.