How to succeed in your AS levels, + explanation of new A level system

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Ive just followed this thread and think its really useful and one of the questions i want to ask is, how much freedom you get in your as levels? For example, do you get to leave school early and do you think this is wise and tell us about how to be as effective as possible on free periods.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunshine774)
    I think you mean I'm starting yr 12? Thanks anywayx
    sorry I think I must have got the wrong idea from your post- and no problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Powerdragonfire1)
    Hi

Ive just followed this thread and think its really useful and one of the questions i want to ask is, how much freedom you get in your as levels? For example, do you get to leave school early and do you think this is wise and tell us about how to be as effective as possible on free periods.
    I go to a sixth form that is attached to a secondary school, which supposedly gives you less freedom than a college or independent sixth form. However I've never had any restrictions on myself, as in I only have to be on site for lessons, tutor periods and assemblies. I've gone home early frequently if I didn't have any lessons after lunch (I would have done this more if I lived in walking distance). However this is only my sixth form, and I can't speak for other sixth forms where rules may be very tightly enforced. You will get a general feel over the first few weeks as to how it is.

ReputationRep:
    How should we do notes? Do we just revise from class notes or should you add to them from a revision guide, or even re-write them? Thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Do it Right)
    How should we do notes? Do we just revise from class notes or should you add to them from a revision guide, or even re-write them? Thanks!!
    What I did was write my class notes (with title/date etc) and also do my homework in adjoining sheets, then staple it all together. Obviously if the homework is very large or will take lots of time or isn't related to the classwork, do it separately. I'd then keep these notes with my homework in my day-to-day folder for maybe 2 more lessons, then transfer to my large subject folder.

When revising, I'd revise following the specification (for example your kinetics topic) and write your notes afresh, and I'd use the revision guide and textbook to write these notes all in one condensed 'document'. You can use your class notes for extra detail whilst doing this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by richpanda)
    What I did was write my class notes (with title/date etc) and also do my homework in adjoining sheets, then staple it all together. Obviously if the homework is very large or will take lots of time or isn't related to the classwork, do it separately. I'd then keep these notes with my homework in my day-to-day folder for maybe 2 more lessons, then transfer to my large subject folder.

When revising, I'd revise following the specification (for example your kinetics topic) and write your notes afresh, and I'd use the revision guide and textbook to write these notes all in one condensed 'document'. You can use your class notes for extra detail whilst doing this.
    Ah, that's great thanks for clarifying!

Also, at this very early stage of AS, should we be going home every night and learning everything we were taught that day? How many hours should we be doing a night

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Do it Right)
    Ah, that's great thanks for clarifying!

Also, at this very early stage of AS, should we be going home every night and learning everything we were taught that day? How many hours should we be doing a night
    Only if you don't understand it. Your teacher should be giving homework to solidify what you have learnt in class, make sure you do all your homework.

Don't feel compelled to study if you are on top of anything- go out with friends or bike ride/walk to relax. What I would say is 'learn your course', as in learn how what you studied in a lesson relates to the specification (which is everything you need to know).

I'd say over the 5 weekdays, you should be doing minimum 7/8 hours outside of lessons, and that's if you're comfortable and naturally clever.

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    Only if you don't understand it. Your teacher should be giving homework to solidify what you have learnt in class, make sure you do all your homework.

Don't feel compelled to study if you are on top of anything- go out with friends or bike ride/walk to relax. What I would say is 'learn your course', as in learn how what you studied in a lesson relates to the specification (which is everything you need to know).

I'd say over the 5 weekdays, you should be doing minimum 7/8 hours outside of lessons, and that's if you're comfortable and naturally clever.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's doable.

Thanks for the advice. I officially start going through stuff today. As I started on Monday and it's just GCSE work....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bulletzone)
    Posted from TSR Mobile

That's doable.

Thanks for the advice. I officially start going through stuff today. As I started on Monday and it's just GCSE work....
    Don't stress it too much

ReputationRep:
    Another tip: surround yourself with other academically ambitious and interesting people, and you will get a buzz off each other.

ReputationRep:
    Another tip: surround yourself with other academically ambitious and interesting people, and you will get a buzz off each other.
    Hi
    How much would you advice people who have started AS to revise on a school night and weekends?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nisha.sri)
    Hi
    How much would you advice people who have started AS to revise on a school night and weekends?
    Thanks
    This is always a tricky question lol I genuinely can't remember how much I did last year during the september-january time period. It will vary from person to person, and school to school. I had only about 3.5 hours of each subject per week, so I got homework nearly every lesson.

A rough guide would be that you should do about 2 hours per day outside of lessons (including homework and study periods), and if you're feeling super motivated maybe do an hour of homework at school then 2 hours of extra work at home. This will make up for those day when you just want to go home and do nothing (everyone has those)

ReputationRep:
    Remember- even if you feel like crap and are under the weather, watch a youtube video relevant to your revision and work! Yes it does actually count as (a small bit) of revision.

ReputationRep:
    Hope AS levels are so far going well for you newbies!

ReputationRep:
    richpanda may I just say, I'm using your post as a Guide through my A-levels, like You've probably made me settle down much quicker than ever!
    Thanks again for that.

ReputationRep:
    richpanda may I just say, I'm using your post as a Guide through my A-levels, like You've probably made me settle down much quicker than ever!
    Thanks again for that.
    No problem! Hope everything is going well so far, keeping up to date with homework etc? I'm guessing you're being kept nice and busy.

ReputationRep:
    No problem! Hope everything is going well so far, keeping up to date with homework etc? I'm guessing you're being kept nice and busy.
    Defo. I dropped Psychology for Chemistry and I'm very happy with my choice because I was able to engange very well and my timetable looks soooo much better (Probs because everything I'm doing I love).

ReputationRep:
    Defo. I dropped Psychology for Chemistry and I'm very happy with my choice because I was able to engange very well and my timetable looks soooo much better (Probs because everything I'm doing I love).
    Chemistry... great choice! I do A2 chemistry, which exam board are you?

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry... great choice! I do A2 chemistry, which exam board are you?
    Stupid OCR u?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 21, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.