Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can bilinguals think in both of their languages? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fg45344)
    Can you think in cantonese when thinking on your own?
    Yeah but it doesn't happen often

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1secondsofvamps)
    Yeah but it doesn't happen often
    Can you force yourself to think in cantonese?

ReputationRep:
    Can you force yourself to think in cantonese?
    Yeah if I want to or have to then I can. But when I think i automatically think in english

ReputationRep:
    Depends completely on the situation.

My mother tonque is German, so does thinking "Oh ****" count as bilingual thought?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah if I want to or have to then I can. But when I think i automatically think in english
    If someone asked you, "what languages can you think in"....how would you answer?

ReputationRep:
    If someone asked you, "what languages can you think in"....how would you answer?
    I'd say "I can think in 2 languages but it's mainly english that I think in"

ReputationRep:
    I can, but I usually just think in English. Don't know why. I do sometimes think in both languages and I don't really get confused. And I can speak English and Urdu/Hindi fluently.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a native English speaker and I think in English, despite being able to speak French, German, Mandarin and Japanese. When I lived in China, however, I actually started forgetting my English and started thinking in Mandarin, as that was the language I was using more often on a daily basis. My spoken English does have a slight lilt to it as a result of living in China for so long

ReputationRep:
    So here is my question....

If you speak only english, you will think in english. If you speak only spanish, you will think in spanish. If you speak spanish and english fluently, say being bilingual from birth, can you think in both languages?
    Yeah, almost the same time tbh. They just kinda merge together and you kinda speak them alternatively but when you're thinking of something to write it down then you usually think in the language you are going to write it in,

ReputationRep:
    I'd say "I can think in 2 languages but it's mainly english that I think in"
    Why do you think you think mainly in English? What is it like thinking in Cantonese? Is thinking in Cantonese slower for you? Can you think in any other language?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katherine9609)
    Yeah. I'm fluent in English & Polish and I tend to think in either one of the languages. I can swap between the two when thinking without thinking if that makes sense lol
    1) Can you think in English?

2) Can you think in Polish?

3) What age did you learn both languages?

4) Can you think in any other language?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jayce.x)
    I can, but I usually just think in English. Don't know why. I do sometimes think in both languages and I don't really get confused. And I can speak English and Urdu/Hindi fluently.
    What languages can you think in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    Well yes, but people often want you to specify in which situations you think in a certain language.

2) Can you think in Spanish?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, its totally normal to think in both I think. I know English and Chinese and I can think in both of them though I naturally think in English and have to actively make myself think in Chinese.

ReputationRep:
    I do this all the time

ReputationRep:
    Yeah you can. English is my second language but even before I was in England I would more often think in English than my first language. Sometimes it's a mix of both in my head. It's the worst when you're texting someone in one language and actually talking in the other. I don't even feel it anymore so I end up talking or writing in the other language and it takes me a moment to realise

ReputationRep:
    So here is my question....

If you speak only english, you will think in english. If you speak only spanish, you will think in spanish. If you speak spanish and english fluently, say being bilingual from birth, can you think in both languages?
    Yeah(: I'm half Greek and my mum has spoken it to me my whole life and i definitely do think in it. But I think because I live in England I probably think in English more regularly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loukiawells)
    Yeah(: I'm half Greek and my mum has spoken it to me my whole life and i definitely do think in it. But I think because I live in England I probably think in English more regularly.

2) Can you think in Greek?

ReputationRep:

2) Can you think in Greek?

1) yes 2) yes 3) roughly same time when i was a baby and i was learning how to speak 4) no

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loukiawells)
    1) yes 2) yes 3) roughly same time when i was a baby and i was learning how to speak 4) no
    So if someone asked you, "what languages can you think in"....how would you answer?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.