Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alfissti)
    I hope May gets it.

We can't be having a non-Oxbridge graduate as PM..
    Did you really mean that? XD
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Its the referendum all over again. May was invisible during the referendum, but she has may, george and all the other remainers backing her. She has a strong lead.

What it will mean is the brexit will be very different with her than the one with Leadsom.

Should have veen a brexiter, but tbh the referendum was definitely about in or out, but the terms of out was never made clear. Jump in the dark.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Davij038)
    No he doesn't, he agrees but says its for a future government.

1: remains to be seen
    2: hasn't happened, would have had an opt out anyway
    3: it isn't happening. Even if we didnt veto it, Hungary et al would
    4: Nobody said that. they said they wouldnt be as good and would take a long time. remains to be seen.
    5: we had an opt out

I think your hatred of Clarke (Who other than the EU you'd probably agree with) is making you somewhat irrational tbh,.
    1. It's so to be seen that we will cut off that there are explicit statements being made to the contrary?
    2. so hasn't happened and isn't happening that it is still being pushed for
    3. "if we didn't veto" implies that there would actually be a chance of a veto coming from us
    4. Nobody said that, except the treasury in their "the economy is going to implode" forecasts, not that they mentioned it at all.
    5. If we had an opt out then how come we haven't been using it? Oh yeah, because it has to be done via treaty for us to be able to tell them to go away, legislative integration we get to opt out of a grand total of zilch more than we already have

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    1. It's so to be seen that we will cut off that there are explicit statements being made to the contrary?
    2. so hasn't happened and isn't happening that it is still being pushed for
    3. "if we didn't veto" implies that there would actually be a chance of a veto coming from us
    4. Nobody said that, except the treasury in their "the economy is going to implode" forecasts, not that they mentioned it at all.
    5. If we had an opt out then how come we haven't been using it? Oh yeah, because it has to be done via treaty for us to be able to tell them to go away, legislative integration we get to opt out of a grand total of zilch more than we already have
    1: what statements? Contrary to what?
    2: it doesn't matter. Even if they did one day have an EU army we wouldn't have had to join it.
    3: like I said. Hungary et al would rather leave the EU than have turkey join.
    4: nonsense. They said the economy would suffer. It is and we haven even left yet.
    5: nonsense- we've opted out of loads of things and vetoed plenty more- https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opt-...European_Union

ReputationRep:
    I like Leadsom, she reminds me of Debbie McGee.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oShahpo)
    Not Leadsom. Her CV is not that impressive, she tried to evade tax in the past and opposed gay marriage because it would "hurt the Christians", the last thing we want for PM is a religious tax-evader.
    But May has done some "naughty" things in the past

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quantex)
    I' not surprised to see Gove eliminated. His duplicitous character really is not fitting for the role as PM and likely didn't go down well with his colleagues.

Money has to be on May unless Leadsom puts up a good fight Although her vague memory regarding her previous jobs hasn't been the best of starts.
    It's nice to know both Labour and Tories can produce female leaders...oh wait

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    And once again the so called progressives in Labour and the Lib Dems have been put to shame, the Tories are delivering the second female PM while the others can't even elect one as leader despite giving them leg ups.
    They're delivering a ****ing awful PM. I'd rather have a good male PM than a woman with Orwellian visions or one that lies on her CV and abhors sex before marriage. I don't see why gender is relevant at all here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oShahpo)
    She clearly contradicts herself, in an appeal to idiots I would presume.
    She says "The issue is one I have around the consequences, the very clear hurt to many Christians who felt that marriage in the church can only be between a man and a woman", She also says "I didn't really like the legislation"
    then in the end she says "But I absolutely support gay marriage."
    So she supports gay marriage, but doesn't like the legislation to make it legal. Interesting.
    She doesn't support gay marriage, the wicked witch is also tied to 'gay cure' groups, of course it isn't fashionable to be a homophobe anymore so she is going to downplay it and make up excuses as much as she can, the sentence you just quoted only shows that she has no brain or moral compass. As much as I don't like Theresa May, we really don't need a brain cell deficient religious old fart to be PM in 2016, I'm not too worried tbh I can't imagine how she could possibly be chosen over Theresa May, she is so irrelevant.

ReputationRep:
    Leadsom has the charisma of a picket fence

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanL_)
    They're delivering a ****ing awful PM. I'd rather have a good male PM than a woman with Orwellian visions or one that lies on her CV and abhors sex before marriage. I don't see why gender is relevant at all here.
    THIS, the Conservatives are definitely not putting anyone to shame by electing witches like Margaret Thatcher / Andrea whoever / Theresa May to be prime ministers, they're all nightmares.

ReputationRep:
    May better suited. this **** about real wodl experience is fine to a point, but then which PM of late has NOT had top level Cabinet or parliamentary experience? Cameron, Brown, Blair/evil****, Major, Thatcher, all did. Maybe in 10 years, since i'd bet if May wins she will get a Cabinet secretary of state post not junior minister.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.