Robot wars is BACK!

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naveed-7)
    I remember watching it when I was a kid.

Very disappointed that Craig Charles is not presenting it this time.
    Ikr, not gonna be the same

(Original post by Tempest II)
    Can't wait for Robot Wars redux.

I remember Hypno Disc being my favourite; it was offensively powerful but could be vulnerable defensively on occasions. It did make for some pretty exciting fights because of this. I still remember when it totally shredding other robots apart. Other teams did suss it out though; those like Behemoth & Tornado had too much amour to get destroyed by the disk.
    SAME!!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm psyched for it to come back but as much as I like Dara O'Briain I don't think he's right for the host. No one will top Craig Charles boundless enthusiasm, it would have been great to have him back.

ReputationRep:
    It's happening, only 7 hours to go! :excited:

Does anyone have any thoughts/predictions about tonight's Week 1 lineup? It feels like they're going for the nostalgia appeal by putting Razer, Terrorhurtz and Behemoth in the same heat, a combo that would have been worthy of a semi-final at least in the series' first run. Here are my thoughts on each competitor (based on previous series/live show performance, stats from the wiki, and photographs):

Behemoth: Underperformed in virtually every past TV series, but it was always a good robot. Unlike most of the other veterans, they remained active in the live circuit, where they've done quite well.

Bonk: Team Mute's new robot. Looked alright in the few live show videos I've seen on Youtube, but I'm guessing the upgraded Terrorhurtz will be the stronger of this heat's axes.

Carbide - New robot from the creators of Tiberius. That spinner looks absolutely deadly, though these kinds of weapons can cause just as much damage to the robot itself if they're unlucky. They're the one to watch out of the new machines, in my opinion.

Kill-E-Crank-E - New robot from the creator of Bodyhammer/original team captain of Pussycat. Blade looks a bit too small, and the body too long, so should be vulnerable to being pushed around.

Nuts - I love Nuts' design, though it seems to trip over its own weapons a lot in the live show footage I've seen. Very intrigued by the minibots, definite inspiration from BattleBots there. Presumably they won't be bound by the same 'one robot immobilized = whole robot immobilized' rule that affected clusterbots in the original run.

Razer - At the risk of angering a whole thread of nostalgic fans, I don't think the robot will have aged well. Too slow to self-right, too vulnerable to spinners, and crushers tend to be less effective on today's armour. Depends what upgrades they've made, I guess.

Terrorhurtz - I think the low-armoured Terrorhurtz got an unfortunate draw, facing Razer right off the bat, as it's one robot they definitely should be able to get their teeth into. They've fought before, and I imagine this will end the same way unless Terrorhurtz or the others get a good hit in first.

The General - Does anyone remember this one from the Robot Football in Series 3? I didn't either, but this will be their first actual fight. Thin armour, exposed wheels. Cannon fodder, IMO.

My prediction to win the heat: Behemoth.

ReputationRep:
    Behemoth doesn't really have any threat other than flipping you over. On paper it works but a lot of the winning robots in the past were flat and would work even if upside down. If Behemoth were to fight Razer, Behemoth would win. Also Razer is GOAT

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    Behemoth doesn't really have any threat other than flipping you over. On paper it works but a lot of the winning robots in the past were flat and would work even if upside down. If Behemoth were to fight Razer, Behemoth would win. Also Razer is GOAT
    I'm thinking that Behemoth's scoop acts as a good defense against spinners, so it should come out alright from its first battle with Carbide (though its sides look as vulnerable as ever). From the looks of the arena, there are enough hazards to make the whole flip and push tactic work, though I guess we'll see.

ReputationRep:
    Sweet jesus Carbide is powerful. Like if Hypnodisc was on steroids.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    Sweet jesus Carbide is powerful. Like if Hypnodisc was on steroids.
    This.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Carbide very much deserved to win.
    Looking forward to seeing them in the grand final.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Unfortunate to see Razor go out so early but that's just how it goes. Razor vs Carbide could have been brutal.

ReputationRep:
    That was the most fun I've had watching TV for many, many years!

Slightly disappointed that Charles isn't back, as he was a huge part of the original, but I thought it was pretty good with Dara. I wonder if Tornado/Storm will be returning, as I really liked those two. I remember essentially every episode of the old series I loved it so much. I'm also wondering if Chaos 2 will return.

Do many people here remember the original airings of Robot Wars? Sometimes I feel too old for tsr.

:lol: that was great tbh, had low expectations bc of the original was great, but was good fun.
    The little mental green and black one was brilliant lol.

ReputationRep:
    Acsel Why say a spoiler, you nonce? Just don't say it, or at-least put it behind an actual spoiler. Do you even internet?

ANYWAY:

My expectations were LOOOOW, mostly because of the art style and crappy looking house robots, but JESUS CHRIST. So much destruction. So impressed by Carbide. Were they trying to say that that piece of flail went through the polycarbonate shield? (I'm not surprised, the supposedly bullet-proof shield for the live events is full of holes, it never feels quite safe with Behemoth throwing stuff up against it...)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I was rooting for Behemoth obviously, that robot has always been my favorite, but Carbide deserved that and I'm not even mad. (Anthony was hilarious. Weaknesses? Well, we don't feel it has any.) I'm sure he drove into the pit on purpose to avoid damage, kind of a shame.
    Will definitely be keeping up with it.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Really disappointing that Razer did as it did, though they did keep up the image of sportsmanship on the outside. Would really be a shame not to see that robot continue competing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dragonzrmetal)
    Acsel Why say a spoiler, you nonce? Just don't say it, or at-least put it behind an actual spoiler. Do you even internet?
    Because I completely forgot that the forum supported spoiler tags. Calm yo self

ReputationRep:
    That was amazing. I wish I could say it was worth waiting half my lifetime for, but that would be a lie as I'm as impatient as they come. But still amazing.

I LOVE the new format, a great way to get a lot of battles out of a small number of robots. The lack of music was unexpected, but having watched a series and a half of BattleBots, I've gotten used to that, and it's nice to hear a few more sounds from the arena (even if they did have to mute Carbide's spinner!)

Can't wait for next week! :excited:

(Original post by Acsel)
    This.
    Added spoiler tags to your post, hope you don't mind.

(Original post by Kernel_Coder)
    That was the most fun I've had watching TV for many, many years!

Slightly disappointed that Charles isn't back, as he was a huge part of the original, but I thought it was pretty good with Dara. I wonder if Tornado/Storm will be returning, as I really liked those two. I remember essentially every episode of the old series I loved it so much. I'm also wondering if Chaos 2 will return.

Do many people here remember the original airings of Robot Wars? Sometimes I feel too old for tsr.
    If you want a full lineup of which robots are entering, and when, check out the competitors page of the Robot Wars website. :yes:

I watched the second episode of Series 1 as it aired - didn't see the first, as my father said it was a program for adults. :cry: Suffice to say I never missed another episode.

ANYWAY:

My expectations were LOOOOW, mostly because of the art style and crappy looking house robots, but JESUS CHRIST. So much destruction. So impressed by Carbide. Were they trying to say that that piece of flail went through the polycarbonate shield? (I'm not surprised, the supposedly bullet-proof shield for the live events is full of holes, it never feels quite safe with Behemoth throwing stuff up against it...)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I was rooting for Behemoth obviously, that robot has always been my favorite, but Carbide deserved that and I'm not even mad. (Anthony was hilarious. Weaknesses? Well, we don't feel it has any.) I'm sure he drove into the pit on purpose to avoid damage, kind of a shame.
    Will definitely be keeping up with it.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Really disappointing that Razer did as it did, though they did keep up the image of sportsmanship on the outside. Would really be a shame not to see that robot continue competing.

Regarding Razer
    Judging by the amount of times the Razer team have lost BattleBots with Warhead, and come back again with an improved version of the same machine, I'm sure we'll be seeing Razer next year. Don't forget that it took them three series to even escape the heats first time around!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    Added spoiler tags to your post, hope you don't mind.
    Not a problem, my fault for not remembering to add them in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    Episode 1 spoilers
    I can' believe Razer an beothmoth both went out Carbide looks absolutely unstoppable and a real contender for champions but I also want to see Razer back next year.

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to see a Razer - Behemoth grudge match this series... Though I suspect neither team wants to risk the damage.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    If you check the Behemoth Fan Club on Facebook, they explained how they went backwards into the pit. Not sure whether to believe it or not. Point is, it sounds like they're coming back into the competition, talking about a wild-card place that no-one else has mentioned yet. They could still win, and more importantly, fight Carbide again.... I think they will fight it again this series

Of course, Razer would be another hot contender for that place.

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to see a Razer - Behemoth grudge match this series... Though I suspect neither team wants to risk the damage.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    If you check the Behemoth Fan Club on Facebook, they explained how they went backwards into the pit. Not sure whether to believe it or not. Point is, it sounds like they're coming back into the competition, talking about a wild-card place that no-one else has mentioned yet. They could still win, and more importantly, fight Carbide again.... I think they will fight it again this series

Of course, Razer would be another hot contender for that place.
    The wild card place was announced early on when news about the format started appearing, and it's been on the side of the competitors page for a while. I was surprised they didn't mention it in the episode itself though.

I don't know which robots will be eligible for picking, whether it's exclusive to the heat final losers or whether any unlucky bot can get a second chance, but I'd be happy to see either of the two you mentioned in the final.

ReputationRep:
    What a joke,
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Razer basically pitted itself, what a bad way for the crowd favourite to go out,
    bring it back!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    I'm thinking that Behemoth's scoop acts as a good defense against spinners, so it should come out alright from its first battle with Carbide (though its sides look as vulnerable as ever). From the looks of the arena, there are enough hazards to make the whole flip and push tactic work, though I guess we'll see.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Turns out Carbide absolutely destroyed Behemoth :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Turns out Carbide absolutely destroyed Behemoth :/
    Indeed, but other than that I'm fairly happy with how my predictions came out. :yes: I think I'll keep doing that each week, with four heats and a final to go, I ought to get it right at least once. :giggle:

ReputationRep:
    I was psyched to see this back, but did anyone else think the editing was abysmal?

During the fights, they switch camera every 2 seconds, so it's impossible to follow the fight or track what's actually going on. All the weird angles should be used for replays and highlights after the fight, not while it's going on. Unwatchable.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 14, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.