Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    GREAT!

Just need to wait 8-10 years for them to finish.

Also less bargaining power so we will get the short end of the stick and we only have 5 trade negotiators so will have to pay a ton of money for something the EU already does for us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miracle-)
    GREAT!

Also less bargaining power so we will get the short end of the stick and we only have 5 trade negotiators so will have to pay a ton of money for something the EU already does for us.
    Look it's a future teller.....

What's Tuesday's euro millions numbers ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)
    Trade with the eu has fallen 10% in the last decade already.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But isn't that a reflection of the underlying world economic environment over the last decade? Even so, I think looking at growth or decline is a distraction. If you are selling £10 billion to the EU, that is a good thing. To suddenly decide you are going to put that £10 billion at risk because it used to be £11 billion a few years ago and anyway, the trade with China, which is £1 million but was £500,000 a few years ago just doesn't cut it.

I note that Australia wants a free trade agreement with us. My first question was - what do they want? Because they sure as hell don't want a free trade agreement for our benefit. But then maybe, they want access to our workforce so they can easily attract people to go and live / work in Auss? Great for those that go. Great for Auss. Not so great for those who stay behind to pick up the pieces. At least we would have unlimited Aussie bars in which to drown our sorrows I guess?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    But isn't that a reflection of the underlying world economic environment over the last decade? Even so, I think looking at growth or decline is a distraction. If you are selling £10 billion to the EU, that is a good thing. To suddenly decide you are going to put that £10 billion at risk because it used to be £11 billion a few years ago and anyway, the trade with China, which is £1 million but was £500,000 a few years ago just doesn't cut it.

I note that Australia wants a free trade agreement with us. My first question was - what do they want? Because they sure as hell don't want a free trade agreement for our benefit. But then maybe, they want access to our workforce so they can easily attract people to go and live / work in Auss? Great for those that go. Great for Auss. Not so great for those who stay behind to pick up the pieces. At least we would have unlimited Aussie bars in which to drown our sorrows I guess?
    It will be mutually beneficial countries don't do trade deals otherwise and we aren't the smaller economy out of the two doing a deal either.

Seems like moaning for moanings sake

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Miracle-)
    GREAT!

You do realise they only take that long when the EU is involved? Bilateral deals tend to take 1-2 years, I.e all the places approaching us will be done by the time we actually leave and will be sat on desks ready to be signed the moment we leave.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InnerTemple)
    I wonder what we'll trade with each other...
    Australia imports relatively minor amounts of the UK's core activities - financial services, professional services, software, pharma, hi tech weapons systems and vehicles. The biggest shares of Australian imports are sending people abroad (eg, tourists, etc), petrochemicals, foodstuffs and heavy machinery. Services come way down the list.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Australia imports relatively minor amounts of the UK's core activities - financial services, professional services, software, pharma, hi tech weapons systems and vehicles. The biggest shares of Australian imports are sending people abroad (eg, tourists, etc), petrochemicals, foodstuffs and heavy machinery. Services come way down the list.
    Which is why 5pc of our exports are to Australia, and service exports to Australia being at least as high as with Ireland.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Which is why 5pc of our exports are to Australia, and service exports to Australia being at least as high as with Ireland.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    And how much to the EU?

Really, it's just fantasy to think we can replace the sales to the EU with Australia.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    And how much to the EU?

Really, it's just fantasy to think we can replace the sales to the EU with Australia.
    Who said anything about replacing? You seem to act as if we have to do one, or the other; that it is impossible to do both.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Who said anything about replacing? You seem to act as if we have to do one, or the other; that it is impossible to do both.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Take a situation (highly probable) where the Tory negotiators become hopelessly gridlocked with the EU negotiators over access to the Single Market because the EU won't accept limitations on free movement and people like Liam Fox can't budge on that due to the politics of the Tory Party.

In that case, we can probably expect a slump in service sector sales to the EU of at least 25%.

Thinking we can make that up by selling more services to Australia or Canada is absolute tripe. We'd be lucky to make up even 10% of it.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Tory negotiators .
    Wut?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Take a situation (highly probable) where the Tory negotiators become hopelessly gridlocked with the EU negotiators over access to the Single Market because the EU won't accept limitations on free movement and people like Liam Fox can't budge on that due to the politics of the Tory Party.

In that case, we can probably expect a slump in service sector sales to the EU of at least 25%.

Thinking we can make that up by selling more services to Australia or Canada is absolute tripe. We'd be lucky to make up even 10% of it.
    No, the service sector will move to the EU if they think negotiations are not going well or even if there is uncertainty that they might not go well. Other EU countries will try to entice them by suggesting there will be problems and they can remove uncertainty by moving to the EU.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Maker)
    No, the service sector will move to the EU if they think negotiations are not going well or even if there is uncertainty that they might not go well. Other EU countries will try to entice them by suggesting there will be problems and they can remove uncertainty by moving to the EU.
    You mean the people who are hiring, and all the people thstvwork entirely domestically?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You mean the people who are hiring, and all the people thstvwork entirely domestically?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't understand what you mean.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Maker)
    I don't understand what you mean.
    This service sector that is about to run away, yeah, it's the same one we were told two months ago would already be gone at this point. It's the service sector that has reaffirmed its intention to stay. It is the service sector that is decreasing, not increasing, unemployment.

You're re running the campaign, saying "this thing we said was going to happen that didn't, it's happening later." And then when you're wrong there you will find some other way to say they're going because of brexit, and then again, and again, and then maybe by the time you die you will be out of denial.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This service sector that is about to run away, yeah, it's the same one we were told two months ago would already be gone at this point. It's the service sector that has reaffirmed its intention to stay. It is the service sector that is decreasing, not increasing, unemployment.

You're re running the campaign, saying "this thing we said was going to happen that didn't, it's happening later." And then when you're wrong there you will find some other way to say they're going because of brexit, and then again, and again, and then maybe by the time you die you will be out of denial.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nothing has really happened yet so why should anyone want to move?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Maker)
    Nothing has really happened yet so why should anyone want to move?
    You tell me, it's your lot that were saying they'd be gone now

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You tell me, it's your lot that were saying they'd be gone now

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't think brexit will ever happen, its mostly old poor people who voted leave so by the time whoever is in government triggers A50, they will be mostly dead, don't care or ga ga.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Maker)
    I don't think brexit will ever happen, its mostly old poor people who voted leave so by the time whoever is in government triggers A50, they will be mostly dead, don't care or ga ga.
    So you're still in the denial phase of grief?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So you're still in the denial phase of grief?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Which of those three are you?

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.