MAT Prep Thread - 2nd November 2016

Announcements Posted on
TSR looking different to you this week? Find out why here. 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    What's everyone scoring on the 2008 paper? I just got 67 but it's 2 years before the score data, as it's still a relatively recent paper I hope 65-75 is still a very competitive score?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mitchb777dotcom)
    What's everyone scoring on the 2008 paper? I just got 67 but it's 2 years before the score data, as it's still a relatively recent paper I hope 65-75 is still a very competitive score?
    super roughly from 2010-2015 the average was 50, average shortlisted was 60 and average successful was 70 (obviously lower on the harder years) so i cant imagine 2007-2009 being much different.

Id say 67 at this stage is super good, getting 70 will put you in a very good spot probably

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DylanJ42)
    super roughly from 2010-2015 the average was 50, average shortlisted was 60 and average successful was 70 (obviously lower on the harder years) so i cant imagine 2007-2009 being much different.

Id say 67 at this stage is super good, getting 70 will put you in a very good spot probably
    Thanks, even though i'm not applying to oxford (Cambridge lyfe ) I'm gunna apply to imperial or Durham so I can do the exam just to see where I am at the moment. Although if I do really well in the MAT and get rejected I'll be well gutted.

Best of luck to you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mitchb777dotcom)
    I got 81 in that paper (doing the comp sci questions not that normal maths ones, don't know how they compare) and found it quite easy compared to the 2010. I would still imagine the scores for those papers to be roughly the same as 2010-2015 though.

(Original post by Quido)
    I got 81 in that paper (doing the comp sci questions not that normal maths ones, don't know how they compare) and found it quite easy compared to the 2010. I would still imagine the scores for those papers to be roughly the same as 2010-2015 though.
    It terms of difficulty, I think it would be about the same, but I can't say for sure because that's obviously subjective.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quido)
    lmao i got 45

(Original post by KloppOClock)
    lmao i got 45
    Why? And what questions couldn't you complete?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marxist)
    Why? And what questions couldn't you complete?
    i didnt get question 3 and asked my teacher who said it was core 4 stuff.

question 4 i was sort of on the right track but ran out of time so scored lowly

and i sort of just failed the multiple choice, im going through it now though and getting a lot of the right solutions this time

ReputationRep:
    That's untrue.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with Zacken - look at the solution, there's no C4 knowledge needed.

question 4 i was sort of on the right track but ran out of time so scored lowly

and i sort of just failed the multiple choice, im going through it now though and getting a lot of the right solutions this time
    Your teacher is wrong obviously. The MAT only requires you to have C1-C2 knowledge. Be careful of using C3-C4 knowledge on certain questions - you end up making things more complicated than they seem. You should be able to do all questions with what you learnt from C1-C2.

ReputationRep:
    Hi folks, I'm preparing for the MAT right now, for Maths and Computer Science. I'm doing a paper a week right now, which should give enough time to check things inbetween.

I'm in Scotland, and C1/C2 doesn't match up exactly with Higher. I'm just learning a few things during Advanced Higher (like sums of series and the Binomial Thereom), but is there anything that I'm missing that's not in Higher or Advanced Higher? I'm aware of the trapezium rule, and most likely periodicity of functions (like sin(sqrt(x)) has the waves get further and further apart), but I think I might be missing a few other things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lewman99)
    Hi folks, I'm preparing for the MAT right now, for Maths and Computer Science. I'm doing a paper a week right now, which should give enough time to check things inbetween.

I'm in Scotland, and C1/C2 doesn't match up exactly with Higher. I'm just learning a few things during Advanced Higher (like sums of series and the Binomial Thereom), but is there anything that I'm missing that's not in Higher or Advanced Higher? I'm aware of the trapezium rule, and most likely periodicity of functions (like sin(sqrt(x)) has the waves get further and further apart), but I think I might be missing a few other things.
    You can just google the maths specification for a given exam board and compare it with yours.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lewman99)

I've attached the MAT specification (from the Oxford Maths Dept website).
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf MAT syllabus.pdf (60.3 KB, 22 views)

Can I get some help on Q3 on spec paper A? (ii) onwards..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hussain919)
    Can I get some help on Q3 on spec paper A? (ii) onwards..
    okay at first glance this question seems to be about how the minimum of a function may not necessarily be at the x value where  \displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx} = 0 due to restrictions in the domain. (you may not have learnt what a domain is yet, its basically just all the x values the function can take)

so for example, if I asked you for the minimum point of f(x) = \displaystyle x^2 + 4 you would do  \displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx} = 0 so  \displaystyle 2x = 0 , therefore  \displaystyle x=0 and  \displaystyle f(0) = 0^2 + 4 =4 so the minimum point is  \displaystyle (0,4)

However if I asked you for the minimum point of  \displaystyle x^2 + 4 but this time restricted the domain to, lets say,  \displaystyle 2 \leq x \leq 6 you couldnt just use  \displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx} since x=0 doesn't lie in the domain.

I dont think there's a better way to do something like this other than to sketch it. So as you see from the picture I attached, with no restrictions on the domain just use  \displaystyle dy/dx for your max/minimum howeer if theres a restriction on the domain then you may need to just sketch it and go from there.

so just sketch the function with a value of p greater than 1, (do one of those tables with x values and y values if you really need to) and go from there.

Another hint if you need it below
    Spoiler:
    Show
    if the minimum needs to be worked out using a sketch (ie dy/dx = 0 etc etc gives back a value of x not in the domain) then your minimum value will lie at one of the extremities of the domain
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    https://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/system/fi...nts/test09.pdf
    Q1, (D)

I thought this was a relatively straightforward question but I turned out to be wrong and I don't understand why the answer is C (I chose B)

I first summed the series and noticed it had this pattern:
    +1,-1,+2,-2,+3,-3..

Seeing this, i realised that the n must be odd (so that it will make the -1^n positive) and then that leaves 1*101 which is > 100.
    Could someone tell me what i'm doing wrong please

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DylanJ42)
    okay at first glance this question seems to be about how the minimum of a function may not necessarily be at the x value where  \displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx} = 0 due to restrictions in the domain. (you may not have learnt what a domain is yet, its basically just all the x values the function can take)

so for example, if I asked you for the minimum point of f(x) = \displaystyle x^2 + 4 you would do  \displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx} = 0 so  \displaystyle 2x = 0 , therefore  \displaystyle x=0 and  \displaystyle f(0) = 0^2 + 4 =4 so the minimum point is  \displaystyle (0,4)

However if I asked you for the minimum point of  \displaystyle x^2 + 4 but this time restricted the domain to, lets say,  \displaystyle 2 \leq x \leq 6 you couldnt just use  \displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx} since x=0 doesn't lie in the domain.

I dont think there's a better way to do something like this other than to sketch it. So as you see from the picture I attached, with no restrictions on the domain just use  \displaystyle dy/dx for your max/minimum howeer if theres a restriction on the domain then you may need to just sketch it and go from there.

so just sketch the function with a value of p greater than 1, (do one of those tables with x values and y values if you really need to) and go from there.

Another hint if you need it below
    Spoiler:
    Show
    if the minimum needs to be worked out using a sketch (ie dy/dx = 0 etc etc gives back a value of x not in the domain) then your minimum value will lie at one of the extremities of the domain
    i just completed the square

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blankboi)
    Q1, (D)

I thought this was a relatively straightforward question but I turned out to be wrong and I don't understand why the answer is C (I chose B)

+1,-1,+2,-2,+3,-3..

Seeing this, i realised that the n must be odd (so that it will make the -1^n positive) and then that leaves 1*101 which is > 100.
    I think it would be more productive to view the series like this:

1 + (-2 + 3) + (-4 + 5) + (-6 + 7)
    or if you prefer, 1 - (2 - 3) - (4 - 5) - ...
    either way you notice you're getting 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 ...
    so the sum to the first term is 1, to the third term is 2, the sum to the fifth term is 3, the sum to the seventh term is 4, etc. etc., right?
    indeed it would seem apparent that for the odd terms the sum is (n + 1)/2. Clearly it's not going to be an even term you want, as the previous odd term sum is going to be larger. So as you said the n must be odd. Then you simply solve for (n + 1)/2 = 100 (you know this will happen as the series of odd terms goes up in 1s so takes every positive integer)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blankboi)
    Q1, (D)

+1,-1,+2,-2,+3,-3..

1-2+3-4+5....
    1-2 = -1
    -1+3 = 2
    2-4=-2

so adding them up goes 1,-1,2,-2,3,-3 etc so by the time it gets to 99,-99,+100
    there would have been (2*99)+1 terms, which is 199.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 4, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.