Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    Most people in the world would not be complaining if they achieved an A grade at a-level, I know I wouldn't have complained even though I got A*'s in some of my units when I did mine. I get what you're saying about aiming high, but unless you want to get into somewhere like Oxbridge it doesn't really matter much in the grand scheme of things
    Not so much aiming high as falling short

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you get even only one A I wouldn't bother resitting tbh, an A grade is a pretty good grade
    If I got one A grade, I'd miss my offer and most certainly resit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanyapotter)
    If I got one A grade, I'd miss my offer and most certainly resit
    Universities can still accept you if you miss your offer if they like you enough.

ReputationRep:
    I highly doubt that there are no benefits of getting a 1st.. surely?! I agree that experience is also very key, though. Are you sure you're not being biased at this point?
    There are no benefits to a 1st in industry. You're still at College so not to be condescending but most of these misconceptions will he cleared up once you're at university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drandy76)
    Not so much aiming high as falling short

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't think any person in the world would consider an A grade as 'falling short' tbh. If you want an A* then go for it but putting yourself under so much unnecessary pressure is bad for you. When you get into the real world you will realise nobody really cares about your a-level results outside of universities as long as you achieved above the UCAS points. Not even graduate entry medicine cares about a-level results

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple)
    There are no benefits to a 1st in industry. You're still at College so not to be condescending but most of these misconceptions will he cleared up once you're at university.
    what about if you are applying to do a phd?????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by duncanjgraham)
    what about if you are applying to do a phd?????
    May affect the funding which is already rarer than the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by super_kawaii)
    No, I'm talking from experience here. Apart from a very few niche courses at Oxbridge, there is no benefit to getting a first. I know people who work in recruitment and the thing that matters most is experience. A minimum of a 2:1 is nothing but a tick in the box. Plus after a few years of working in a career, it's ALL about your experience and what you've learnt in your previous job and how you can apply it to your new job.

By all means aim for a 1st, but as long as you have a minimum of a 2:1 and experience you're good to go for the vast majority of graduate positions.
    How can there be no benefits of getting a 1st? Why would a 1st class degree classification exist if there were no benefits to achieving it? Again, I'm not denying that experience is vital, though.

ReputationRep:
    May affect the funding which is already rarer than the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow
    hmph

ReputationRep:
    I don't think any person in the world would consider an A grade as 'falling short' tbh. If you want an A* then go for it but putting yourself under so much unnecessary pressure is bad for you. When you get into the real world you will realise nobody really cares about your a-level results outside of universities as long as you achieved above the UCAS points. Not even graduate entry medicine cares about a-level results
    If you get into the Uni you want with your A levels obviously there's no point resitting, but at least 2 ( not including me) people in this thread have already stated in some subjects they felt getting an A is below what they were capable of, the disappointment will pass in time but it's still a sore point for the time being

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How can there be no benefits of getting a 1st? Why would a 1st class degree classification exist if there were no benefits to achieving it? Again, I'm not denying that experience is vital, though.
    To help define academic achievement. However, the benchmark is set at a 2:1 and so focused on experience there really isn't any benefit. Academic achievement will only take you so far

ReputationRep:
    If you get into the Uni you want with your A levels obviously there's no point resitting, but at least 2 ( not including me) people in this thread have already stated in some subjects they felt getting an A is below what they were capable of, the disappointment will pass in time but it's still a sore point for the time being

Posted from TSR Mobile
    A sore point that will quickly be forgotten about once they arrive at uni

ReputationRep:
    A sore point that will quickly be forgotten about once they arrive at uni
    I literally said that right before

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    According to a study by LSE a 1st is worth slightly (only 3%) more than a 2:1 in annual earnings. But a 2:1 is worth 7% more than a 2:2.

So the key thing is getting a 2:1 or better. Not necessarily aiming for a 1st.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...-in-wages.html

Oh, and there's a whole correlation <> causation thing with this too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Alright, well, if that is your take on it then obviously you are entitled to that opinion on yourself but please know that employers don't really care much for the difference between an A and an A*. Most employers nowadays care more about the experience you've had in the sector of your choice. As long as you get at least a 2:1 it doesn't really matter. Take my advice and go for a course that offers you a year in industry, I promise you will not regret it.

ReputationRep:
    I literally said that right before

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The way you said it made it seem we couldn't talk about how invaluable A Levels are once you get into uni

ReputationRep:
    The whole point of this thread was that I knew I'm capable of A*s, which is what stings.

The one subject I was predicted an A in (further maths - and rightly so, as I only just got 90% at AS), I am confident I've achieved an A. And I am INFINITELY happy with this achievement, because I know I did the best that I could, even though it's not an A*. But for stuff like maths and physics, it makes me sick to think I ****ed up my exams badly enough to miss the A*s, despite getting full UMS for both subjects in my mocks. I can't help feeling like that.

ReputationRep:
    Alright, well, if that is your take on it then obviously you are entitled to that opinion on yourself but please know that employers don't really care much for the difference between an A and an A*. Most employers nowadays care more about the experience you've had in the sector of your choice. As long as you get at least a 2:1 it doesn't really matter. Take my advice and go for a course that offers you a year in industry, I promise you will not regret it.
    PRSOM on all your posts

ReputationRep:
    The whole point of this thread was that I knew I'm capable of A*s, which is what stings.

The one subject I was predicted an A in (further maths - and rightly so, as I only just got 90% at AS), I am confident I've achieved an A. And I am INFINITELY happy with this achievement, because I know I did the best that I could, even though it's not an A*. But for stuff like maths and physics, it makes me sick to think I ****ed up my exams badly enough to miss the A*s, despite getting full UMS for both subjects in my mocks. I can't help feeling like that.
    You'll forget about it once you actually get to uni, unless you actively want to screw up your life because you're bitter you "only" got an A and forget to focus on what matters in life-getting experience at uni
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    It's like the difference between A* and A. The individual with the A* cares about it, but most other people don't so much.

And if an employer is choosing between 2 candidates; a postgrad with a 2:1 good ECs and relevant work experience will trump someone with a 1st and no ECs/work experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.