Turn on thread page Beta

Favourite high street store watch

• View Poll Results: What is your favourite high street store?
    Topshop
    13.29%
    Zara
    4.20%
    Primark
    6.29%
    Miss Selfridge
    4.20%
    River Island
    10.49%
    Dorothy Perkins
    7.69%
    Monsoon Accessorize
    3.50%
    French Connection
    2.80%
    H & M
    17.48%
    New Look
    13.29%
    Warehouse
    3.50%
    Gap
    4.20%
    Mango
    0%
    Kookai
    0.70%
    Oasis
    0%
    Other... sorry, couldn't fit them all!
    8.39%

ReputationRep:
    Either Topshop or New Look.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucyatthegym)
    I just can't do shopping when half the stuff is on the floor and is about 3 seasons out of date.
    Umm, what's wrong with clothes that are 3 seasons out of date? ^o)

In response to your "paki shop" reference, I'm quite sure that I have an idea of what sort of thing you're on about, and I can say that many of the ones I've been in are not owned by Asians, nor do they smell :rolleyes: Also, I believe a more fitting (and less offensive) name for them would be "ethnic shops".

ReputationRep:
    But they are paki shops. They're not sicking because they're owned by pakis though. I wasn't implying that. They're sicking because the clothes are horrible. The shops I'm talking about are always owned by pakis. Everyone I know calls them paki shops I've never heard them called anything different. What else exactly could you call them?
    Apart from the fact that you're being racist in saying all these horrible clothes shops are owned by asians, you need to understand that you can't just say 'paki'. More than half the time it's not a pakistani group of people you're referring to and it's WIDELY KNOWN to be racist. So stop saying it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure there was a programme not long ago about the word 'paki' and that pakistanis don't actually mind it as that is what they are. Surely it's the same as calling us 'Brits'.

I think 'ethnic' shops is just as bad (if it's 'bad') tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkfairybeth)
    Apart from the fact that you're being racist in saying all these horrible clothes shops are owned by asians, you need to understand that you can't just say 'paki'. More than half the time it's not a pakistani group of people you're referring to and it's WIDELY KNOWN to be racist. So stop saying it.
    Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure there was a programme not long ago about the word 'paki' and that pakistanis don't actually mind it as that is what they are. Surely it's the same as calling us 'Brits'.

I think 'ethnic' shops is just as bad (if it's 'bad') tbh.
    Hold on, firstly you say that there's nothing wrong with saying "paki", yet you say that "ethnic" is just as bad? Surely, going by your own opinion on the words that's a bit contradictory? Anyway, the type of shop that you're referring to is actually known as an ethnic shop - because they sell clothes and things from a particular ethnic background.

Oh, and my Pakistani friends aren't too keen on being called "pakis", either. The word was used years ago in an insulting manner, and thus it has been accepted to be an offensive word - even though you may think that it's just a shortened form of the word Pakistani.

ReputationRep:
    But they're not of ethnic background. They're cheap clothes for chavettes.

And, I did say 'if it's 'bad'. I don't think either terms are bad. People are too pc.

I don't have any 'paki' friends and have never spoken to one one in my life so I guess I wouldn't know if it was offensive or not. Just wanted to make sure people knew I wasn't saying the shops were horrible because of who runs them, I would find the shops skank whoever ownded them.

ReputationRep:
    That's not the point. What we're trying to tell you is that you should think before saying words that are generally considered as being offensive, otherwise you should expect to have your head bitten off.

ReputationRep:
    It's not the fact you said the shops weren't good that is being diputed. It's your use of the term 'Paki' to refer to anyone who is of a different origin to you. You don't seem to realise that you could cause offense, you've shown this numerous times in the past, for example with reference to gay people, disabled people and pretty much anyone who isn't you. Or maybe you think you can be offensive as you like because it's the internet? Do you speak in such a way with friends and family? Maybe it's time you grew up and realised that everyone in the world isn't the same but are still equally valuable.

ReputationRep:
    Yes lol. My friends and family all use these terms. It's not because I'm a bad person. Maybe I'm just sheltered.

But that's the thing. Not everyone is equal and it's stupid to suggest so.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't say everyone was equal, I said they were equally valuable. Just because everyone you know use the terms doesn't justify them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hang_your_heart)
    I'm very surprised H & M is winning. Ocassionally I find tops and skirts there but I could never buy trousers, dresses, shoes or anything like that because it's such poor quality. I find the shop itself exhausting as well - it looks constantly like Topshop does in the sales!
    Yeah I agree- in fact I'm surprised so many people are a fan of Topshop- I've never seen the big deal myself.
    I always end up spending ages in TK Maxx and then end up coming out with nothing
    I wish they'd organise the shops a bit more, although I have to say it's great for gifts and home ornaments.

ReputationRep:
    Yes lol. My friends and family all use these terms. It's not because I'm a bad person. Maybe I'm just sheltered.

Nope, not everybody is equal. However it's even stupider to take advantage of this inequality and constantly show yourself to be superior to everyone that might be *:eek: shock horror:eek: * a little different from you. It's not going to make you very popular, my dear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redballoons)
    Yeah I agree- in fact I'm surprised so many people are a fan of Topshop- I've never seen the big deal myself.
    I always end up spending ages in TK Maxx and then end up coming out with nothing
    That's what happened to me the only time I went into TK Maxx! In general I don't like stores where everything is uber cheap though. It means I spend money and waste time with things I don't necessarily want just because it's cheap.

I like Topshop because its stock changes so frequently and it's cheap enough to allow you to keep up with fashions whilst still being okay quality. Although, it's either been getting more expensive over the past few years or I've been getting poorer!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hang your heart)
    Although, it's either been getting more expensive over the past few years or I've been getting poorer!
    Nahhh, it's expensive :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hang_your_heart)
    I like Topshop because its stock changes so frequently and it's cheap enough to allow you to keep up with fashions whilst still being okay quality. Although, it's either been getting more expensive over the past few years or I've been getting poorer!
    Topshop cheap!? The stuff in Topshop always seems extortionately priced to me, especially when I consider that I can get a better quality version elsewhere for much less!

ReputationRep:

You remind me of that dim, racist girl from this year's Shipwrecked. Funnily enough, her name was Lucy too.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6293847.stm

It never fails to surpise me how naive some people are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loopymeg)
    Topshop cheap!? The stuff in Topshop always seems extortionately priced to me, especially when I consider that I can get a better quality version elsewhere for much less!
    http://www.topshop.com/webapp/wcs/st...3956&langId=-1
    http://www.topshop.com/webapp/wcs/st...2815&langId=-1
    http://www.topshop.com/webapp/wcs/st...9832&langId=-1
    http://www.topshop.com/webapp/wcs/st...5376&langId=-1
    http://www.topshop.com/webapp/wcs/st...0570&langId=-1

All seem pretty reasonable to me! It's not really cheap anymore but it's definitely not expensive.

ReputationRep:
    I don't tihnk Topshop is stupidly expensive, it's more expensive than some places but some things are the same price as more high street stores. £55 is cheap for a coat, it looks like it could be decent quality aswell.

ReputationRep:
    They're cheap clothes for chavettes.
    Does anyone else find it rather ironic that she's talking about "chavettes" scornfully but is showing a rather chavvy attitude and background?
    Everyone I know calls them paki shops

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.