Turn on thread page Beta
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by archipelaglobule)
    Do you think that a college would consider Open University Maths courses to be a worthwhile thing to do during my year away from school? What sort of things do mathematicians usually do during a gap year?

Also, what might the university think if I didn't actually attend school in Year 13, but still did some exams then?
    University-level mathematics can be useful as can tutoring or more challenges like BMO or preparing for STEP (although it's rare that we'd ask you to do STEP again, we could perhaps ask for S,S if you got 1,1 in year 12). The important thing is that you'd be keeping your maths skills up. Why are you not applying for direct entry though?

Apologies if you've answered this before, but what percentage of maths applicants typically receive offers?

Thank you for your help!
    Let's talk through http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.a...ply/statistics.

At Peterhouse over the past two years we've interviewed over 90% of applicants in Mathematics with about 1 in 3 of our applicants getting an offer here and a few more offered via the Winter Pool. Of those made offers at Peterhouse, fewer than half are successful in meeting their conditions. Perhaps one or two mathematicians each year are accepted having just missed their offers and a few might be taken from the Summer Pool. This means that something a little under 1 in 6 applicants for Mathematics start the course here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peterhouse Admissions)
    There are extra courses provided for Mathematics students who haven't studied Physics to A level or equivalent, but this adds to the workload even thought that course isn't examined. All of our admissions requirements are there for a reason - applicants should think of their current work as preparation for whichever university they go to, not merely as winning badges to impress admissions staff. It may be hard to believe but we don't ask for things just to be difficult!
    Yeah, I know - obviously. Hence why I want to learn as much maths as possible xD.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    University-level mathematics can be useful as can tutoring or more challenges like BMO or preparing for STEP (although it's rare that we'd ask you to do STEP again, we could perhaps ask for S,S if you got 1,1 in year 12). The important thing is that you'd be keeping your maths skills up. Why are you not applying for direct entry though?

Let's talk through http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.a...ply/statistics.

At Peterhouse over the past two years we've interviewed over 90% of applicants in Mathematics with about 1 in 3 of our applicants getting an offer here and a few more offered via the Winter Pool. Of those made offers at Peterhouse, fewer than half are successful in meeting their conditions. Perhaps one or two mathematicians each year are accepted having just missed their offers and a few might be taken from the Summer Pool. This means that something a little under 1 in 6 applicants for Mathematics start the course here.
    How highly is BMO looked upon?
    Particularly top 10 scores in BMO2.
    If someone missed an S,1 offer for high 1,1?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by physicsmaths)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Any such things will be looked at on a case-by-case basis. We don't have strict equivalencies rather we look at all available information in context going back to the original application including teacher reference, PS, interview reports etc.

ReputationRep:
    Such decisions are on a case-by-case basis so I'm afraid I can't really help! We would look at the actual exam script to see where you went wrong - this can tell us a lot.

The reason for rejection would be that they hadn't met the conditions we'd asked for. The only way to guarantee your place is to meet the exact conditions in the offer letter. There is some leniency and flexibility come results day but it's best not to count on this!
    Thank you very much for your help. Is there a correlation between the Engineering Trispos and STEP ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by Duke Glacia)
    Thank you very much for your help. Is there a correlation between the Engineering Trispos and STEP ?
    dw you only have a couple more weeks to panic until ur accepted anyway

ReputationRep:
    If I applied in Y12, I would be applying for direct entry. I was just thinking about the possibility of leaving some A2 subjects to Y13, but not actually going to school and instead doing some Mathematics-related things during that year. I'm unsure at the moment - might this be a good plan?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    I
    If I applied in Y12, I would be applying for direct entry. I was just thinking about the possibility of leaving some A2 subjects to Y13, but not actually going to school and instead doing some Mathematics-related things during that year. I'm unsure at the moment - might this be a good plan?
    I think this is a decision for you to make in liaison with your school and others who can advise you best given your individual circumstances.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Duke Glacia)
    Yes. Not as concrete as for Mathematics as overall, across the University, few entrants to Engineering have STEP whereas all Mathematicians take STEP.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Thanks everybody! We have to bring this thread to a close now. We'll be back with another thread from our Admissions Coordinators in a weeks time, answering questions about results day, the admissions process and how things are handled. We'll have another thread for 2017 entry with the whole Admissions Team from the 5th-19th September.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.