Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Have you given blood before? Watch

• View Poll Results: Have you given blood?
    Yes
    14.00%
    No
    55.40%
    No, but I plan on doing so soon.
    30.59%

ReputationRep:
    Done it a few times (though not recently, been ill for a couple of months), have a rarer blood type so it's important I do my bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inexorably)
    Reported for child abuse :////////
    You're a child? lol

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to since I have a rare blood type but I have bone marrow failure

ReputationRep:
    FrenchUnicorn ok you can come out now, I've deleted it -_-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0to100)
    You're a child? lol
    Na na I'm 20

but i assume yer older than me so im calling this child abuse ;l

ReputationRep:
    every 4 months for the last 3 years.

Weightlifting etc along with my natual levels has given my a high RBC so I feel so much better doing this.

Get used to it fast. takes 5 mins.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seaholme)
    It is super messed up that this is a rule. Like you pointed out there's no special reason why somebody who has 'risky' sex wouldn't be a straight person either!

If you read they actually already test all bags of blood for HIV:
    https://www.blood.co.uk/the-donation...-we-carry-out/

So it does make you wonder what the hell they're on about. I hope this changes soon.
    The HIV test is not 100% - something like 0.1% of positive tests are missed - so an important part of prevention is screening out those known to be high risk, so people from high risk countries, people who have had sex with people from high risk countries, intravenous drug users and men who have had sex with men.

Difficult to tell for sure but based on the numbers allowing MSMs to donate would probably cause 2-3 extra cases of HIV to be passed on per year. We do really need blood donors, but not that much. Not yet.

Its been suggested that there's hypocrisy in that straight promiscuous people are still able to donate, and that donating blood should also entail giving a detailed sexual history to the nurses there (number of partners, type of sex on each occasion, protection used etc). That's pretty invasive and I don't think this is something that will help donation numbers personally. It also targets a much smaller minority of HIV cases than MSMs.

The test is improving all the time so the current criteria (I think its no sex with another man for the past year?) may loosen further in the next decade. But what we definitely don't want is for it to be loosened prematurely just because of political pressure - causing avoidable HIV cases is unforgivable. Any reasonable gay man would surely agree with this.

FrenchUnicorn ok you can come out now, I've deleted it -_-
    Wait, what are you talking about ?

ReputationRep:
    I haven't paid much attention to this thread, apart from my own posts (A), but I've seen the discussion about HIV from gay men and as such. That rule is a necessary thing to have for up to a year as a small percentage of HIV cases will not show until after 6 months, but I personally support lowering it down to 6 months as that percentage is so small it's not really worth it.

HIV through M2M contact is far, far more common than M2F/F2M hence why the rule is in place and why it seems slightly hypocritical when promiscuous straight men can donate etc. I think as time goes on though, research and prevention of HIV will improve and the waiting restriction for gay men will be removed...eventually.

There are only a very small number of countries which allow sexually active gay men to donate blood w/o time restrictions, and it's for a good reason.

I say this a not so straight guy myself who probably won't be able to donate blood if my next partner is male

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FrenchUnicorn)
    :O in UK gay people cannot donate ??
    In France they can ! They just test the blood before ofc, but like everyone else :dontknow:
    My friend is gay and could donate a couple of times.
    I am pretty shocked you could not actually :O that is very weird ! Sorry you could not btw :/
    Yep
    "You should not donate blood for 12 months after having sex with: a commercial sex worker
    someone who has injected drugs someone who has haemophilia (a condition that stops your blood from clotting normally) or another type of blood disorder that required clotting factor treatment
    someone who has been sexually active in parts of the world where HIV and AIDS are common – such as sub-Saharan Africa
    *a man who has had oral or anal sex with another man (if you are female)
    *a man (if you are male) – with or without a condom"*

ReputationRep:
    Wait, what are you talking about ?
    I had a post where I asked if I was sexy and decided to remove it lol

(Original post by Ciel.)
    Yep
    "You should not donate blood for 12 months after having sex with: a commercial sex worker
    someone who has injected drugs someone who has haemophilia (a condition that stops your blood from clotting normally) or another type of blood disorder that required clotting factor treatment
    someone who has been sexually active in parts of the world where HIV and AIDS are common – such as sub-Saharan Africa
    *a man who has had oral or anal sex with another man (if you are female)
    *a man (if you are male) – with or without a condom"*
    Ohhhh I see :O

In France , we have to reply to some questions such as "have you ever had sex" "If so, have you had a gay sex intercourse" "do you usually have sex with people you don't know" stuff like that
    If so, the doctor says that it can be a risk to VIH, but they let people give blood anyway, because the blood will be tested before anyway

As I said, I am quite shocked about the fact you could not donate !

I had a post where I asked if I was sexy and decided to remove it lol
    Well I did not see it xD

ReputationRep:
    Ohhhh I see :O

In France , we have to reply to some questions such as "have you ever had sex" "If so, have you had a gay sex intercourse" "do you usually have sex with people you don't know" stuff like that
    If so, the doctor says that it can be a risk to VIH, but they let people give blood anyway, because the blood will be tested before anyway

As I said, I am quite shocked about the fact you could not donate !

Well I did not see it xD
    Yeah They probably wouldn't let me for other reasons but I'm sure that many gay people would like to donate. *

ReputationRep:

Well I did not see it xD
    :shifty: lol

ReputationRep:
    Not yet, but I would definitely like too! I would like to donate an organ too!

(Original post by Ciel.)
    Yeah They probably wouldn't let me for other reasons but I'm sure that many gay people would like to donate. *
    I am sure as well, that's a shame :/
    (Original post by Reachin4TheStars)
    Not yet, but I would definitely like too! I would like to donate an organ too!
    I'd like to donate my bone marrow too, and to subscribe as an organ donor as well :five:

ReputationRep:
    I am sure as well, that's a shame :/

I'd like to donate my bone marrow too, and to suscribe as an organ donor as well :five:
    Awwhhh that's amazing! You're such an inspiration, honestly, you're basically willing to go that farr, saving someone's life! & High five gurll!

ReputationRep:
    Can't, existing medical condition + medication taken to counteract the condition prevents me from ever giving blood, found that out at a blood drive a few years back.

ReputationRep:
    Nope. I never will either. The only reason is that I can't stand needles

ReputationRep:
    how do i go about giving blood ?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.