Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What is your EPL Table Predication for 2016/17? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    The foundations aren't exactly solid - their setup behind the scenes is dreadful, particularly in terms of injuries; how many soft tissue injuries they get, how many setbacks the players have in their recovery... and the penny pinching they've been doing as part of recruitment has seen them repeatedly fail to plug the gaps (a top striker is discussed every year and has been since Henry left, yet they've pratted around trying to act clever with Suarez and what couldn't be described as a serious bid for the likes of Lacazette). At best you can say they've got the stadium and the reputation, but their transfer policy has been akin to a bloke going down to the corner shop for a pint of milk for breakfast and only coming back with a pack of cigarettes and a copy of nuts.
    Well this why I say they do have solid foundations.
    Their transfer policy is something that can be fixed overnight.

You are a Leicester fan I believe ? If so I can't help but find it a bit ironic that a Leicester fan is criticising Arsenals transfer policy when Leicester have just shown what can be achieved by following just such a policy.
    However I was a bit loathe to say that as I'm sure you can come back on that and we will go off at a tangent.

I don't know why Arsenal keep getting injuries but if there's an issue there then once again it shouldn't be something that takes more than a year or two to sort out.

My knowledge of the Arsenal situation comes mostly from articles in broadsheets and the comments in those broadsheets,which seem to be from knowledgable fans of Arsenal and other clubs, and I havnt read anything that suggests Arsenal aren't building solid foundations and that they don't have a very bright future.

However I think a discussion about it is a bit pointless because we'd first have to agree on what exactly constitutes success in modern day football.

How many Premierships do Arsenal need to win in the next 10 years for them to be condidered to have been successful?

With Spurs and Liverpool improving there are now 6 clubs who can conceivably win the Premiership (I don't think there will be another Leicester in the next 20 years at least) .

Thus just two Premierships would be an achievement ,and one would be good enough considering.

But more important will be Champions League qualification. With 6 or possibly 7 clubs vying for qualification Arsenals consistency will be more important than ever.

Anyway Arsenal are a fantastic club I'm sure you will agree and even as a Spurs fan I can't help but be greatly impressed by almost everything they do and stand for.

Only time will tell whether they go the way of Liverpool or whether they continue to thrive but I know which one my money's on.

Mind you I think getting 4th this year will be very important. Fail to do that and I may have to revise my position if only slightly. But then that's the thing though. It may take something like that to finally get the changes you mention and the fans demand.

They have the foundations but they don't quite have the will because they havnt really needed it so far with Wenger there.

ReputationRep:
    Anyway in the next ten years it's quite likely that the Champions League will have been changed in such a way that the top 6 in England will qualify. Thus making it even more unlikely that Arsenal go the way of Liverpool.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by moggis)
    Well this why I say they do have solid foundations.
    Their transfer policy is something that can be fixed overnight.

You are a Leicester fan I believe ? If so I can't help but find it a bit ironic that a Leicester fan is criticising Arsenals transfer policy when Leicester have just shown what can be achieved by following just such a policy.
    However I was a bit loathe to say that as I'm sure you can come back on that and we will go off at a tangent.

I don't know why Arsenal keep getting injuries but if there's an issue there then once again it shouldn't be something that takes more than a year or two to sort out.
    Leicesters transfer policy and arsenals are poles apart - we scout heavily and look to avoid spending big for the sake of spending big but we get what we need. Arsenal just pay lip service to what they need or take years to actually do it (how long before cech were we saying they needed a keeper?)

They get so many injuries due to an abysmal training set up - they need a complete overhaul of that; including the training ground itself; before that's solved - and until the owners are not content to just tred water and have the CL money coming in, they're not going to invest the money needed to solve all their issues. They're a club with an outdated infrastructure and no ambition anymore.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    Leicesters transfer policy and arsenals are poles apart - we scout heavily and look to avoid spending big for the sake of spending big but we get what we need. Arsenal just pay lip service to what they need or take years to actually do it (how long before cech were we saying they needed a keeper?)

They get so many injuries due to an abysmal training set up - they need a complete overhaul of that; including the training ground itself; before that's solved - and until the owners are not content to just tred water and have the CL money coming in, they're not going to invest the money needed to solve all their issues. They're a club with an outdated infrastructure and no ambition anymore.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If their training set up is SO abysmal why on earth don't they do something about it?

I mean that I find it almost impossible to believe it can that bad. Just simply because if it's costing them money which it must be they'd want to fix it.

As for an outdated infrastructure I find that hard to believe too.

As for the transfers I'm a bit confused. Is it up to Wenger or is it up to the board ?

If it's Wenger then that's another thing that can be solved overnight. If it's the board then why does Wenger get so much criticism ?

Anyway as I said time will tell......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moggis)
    If their training set up is SO abysmal why on earth don't they do something about it?

I mean that I find it almost impossible to believe it can that bad. Just simply because if it's costing them money which it must be they'd want to fix it.

As for an outdated infrastructure I find that hard to believe too.

As for the transfers I'm a bit confused. Is it up to Wenger or is it up to the board ?

If it's Wenger then that's another thing that can be solved overnight. If it's the board then why does Wenger get so much criticism ?

Anyway as I said time will tell......
    Van Persie, after missing a season's worth of football at Arsenal, did the biggest "in your face" gesture by moving to another club and winning the league. Diaby, Rosicky, Walcott, Wilshere and now Welbeck would all have done the same... but they get paid generously in their contracts even when not playing so they shut up about it.
    (I bet it's in their contracts that they do not reveal how they are trained, in return for a wage even when they can't play football )
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    1 - Man City
    2 - Man United
    3 - Chelsea
    4 - Spurs
    -----------------------------
    5 - Arsenal
    6 - Everton
    7 - Leicester
    8 - Liverpool
    9 - West Ham
    10 - Swansea
    11- Stoke
    12- Southampton
    13 - Middlesbrough
    14 - Bournemouth
    15 - West Brom
    16 - Crystal Palace
    17 - Burnley
    -------------------------------
    18 - Watford
    19 - Hull
    20 - Sunderland

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 3, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.