A100 Edinburgh Medicine - 2017 Entry Watch

studentsixth
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Shanx2)
Hey! I'm pretty confused about the score out of 40-is the cut off 38/40?

I have 12a*s at GCSE, AAAa A level, ukcat 717 band 1,

What score would this give presuming I got maximum at personal statement?
38/40 maybe 37 as UKCAT may just miss the top octile. To get full academic marks you need A*AAa
Docjones1
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Why did you take two points off? Isn't AAAa just -1? giving 39/40 assuming top decile of UKCAT.
Aquafreshh
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Are you guys sure Edinburgh still uses this scoring system out of 40? Cause they've got a new course and the admissions booklet for 2015 (http://www.ed.ac.uk/files/imports/fi...ine%202015.pdf) and 2016 (http://www.ed.ac.uk/files/atoms/file...016_single.pdf) mention nothing of this specific scoring system just that they use a complex system and the weightings of academics, UKCAT and personal statement. The 2014 admissions booklet is the one that mentions the scoring system. I think it's possible this system (maybe a similar one is used though) is no longer used added with the fact that they a new 6 year course? I'm open to the idea that the ones I have read are just condensed so have left out the specific scoring?
Docjones1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Aquafreshh)
Are you guys sure Edinburgh still uses this scoring system out of 40? Cause they've got a new course and the admissions booklet for 2015 (http://www.ed.ac.uk/files/imports/fi...ine%202015.pdf) and 2016 (http://www.ed.ac.uk/files/atoms/file...016_single.pdf) mention nothing of this specific scoring system just that they use a complex system and the weightings of academics, UKCAT and personal statement. The 2014 admissions booklet is the one that mentions the scoring system. I think it's possible this system (maybe a similar one is used though) is no longer used added with the fact that they a new 6 year course? I'm open to the idea that the ones I have read are just condensed so have left out the specific scoring?
I think they do - if they don't it's still somewhat similar. The recent open day had percentages and I distinctly remember 15% for SJT and 15% PS&Ref which would give 6 points/40 for both.
k.machalica
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi guys, im an international student and i got 700 UKCAT and band 2. Do you think Edinburgh is a possible option for me?
Docjones1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by k.machalica)
Hi guys, im an international student and i got 700 UKCAT and band 2. Do you think Edinburgh is a possible option for me?
What qualifications (and extra-curriculars/work experience)?
Shanx2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Docjones1)
Why did you take two points off? Isn't AAAa just -1? giving 39/40 assuming top decile of UKCAT.
AAAa is -2 since there are two markers. Its kinda silly for them to have that rule...but each marker takes one mark off for the academics
Shanx2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
does anyone know what the cut off is likely to be?
k.machalica
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What qualifications (and extra-curriculars/work experience)?
Hmm... Volunteer for 2 years in children hospitals, medical conference, dissections, lectures on uni in my country, medical camp...
Docjones1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
AAAa is -2 since there are two markers. Its kinda silly for them to have that rule...but each marker takes one mark off for the academics
Ah yeah my bad
Docjones1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by k.machalica)
Hmm... Volunteer for 2 years in children hospitals, medical conference, dissections, lectures on uni in my country, medical camp...
What did you get in your country's high school examination?
k.machalica
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What did you get in your country's high school examination?
Well I didn't, but i have predicted 90% 90%, 90% from extended biology, chemistry and english and 85%, 100%, 75% from basic polish, english and maths.
NuclearFallout
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Does anyone know when octiles will be released?
HECST
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey
I think I've got the right sort of grades
AS AAAA
Predicted Grades A*A*A*
and UKCAT 710 with situational judgement band 1.
But I am slightly worried that my GCSEs will let me down. I got 5A*s 7As and 2Bs does anyone know whether I still have a shot or not?
U16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I am currently studying Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Geography for AS. I am hoping to achieve at AS 4A's or 3A's and a B in maths. In my GCSEs I got:
Maths- A*
R.E- A*
Geography- A*
Irish - A*
Double Award Science - A*A
English Language - A
English Literature - A
Drama - B
Further Maths - C

I am currently volunteering in a group with working with children who have disabilities, and I also have applied for volunteering in the hospital and also a GP surgery.
Do I have a chance at applying for medicine?
Shanx2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by U16)
I am currently studying Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Geography for AS. I am hoping to achieve at AS 4A's or 3A's and a B in maths. In my GCSEs I got:
Maths- A*
R.E- A*
Geography- A*
Irish - A*
Double Award Science - A*A
English Language - A
English Literature - A
Drama - B
Further Maths - C

I am currently volunteering in a group with working with children who have disabilities, and I also have applied for volunteering in the hospital and also a GP surgery.
Do I have a chance at applying for medicine?
Definitely! Your GCSE's are a little low for some GCSE heavy universities (e.g. oxford or Nottingham) but are no means a disadvantage for most unis-just read the admissions process detail wisely.
HECST
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Definitely! Your GCSE's are a little low for some GCSE heavy universities (e.g. oxford or Nottingham) but are no means a disadvantage for most unis-just read the admissions process detail wisely.
Thank you so much, I've just been a bit worried that it's going to hold me back, but I might as well go for it and hope for the best.
thaddeus bear
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi, I would be grateful for advice: I had read there is a set quota of admissions of non-Scottish UK students and that there is a weighting that favours Scottish students at University of Edinburgh Medical School. Presumably this would make it a longer shot when applying if you're not from Scotland? Can anyone tell me if this is the case? Thanks
emerj98_
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi everyone, I'm sending my application away next week and was wondering if anyone knows what sort of UKCAT score you need for Edinburgh? I got 710 average (VR 670, QR 770 and AR 690) and Band 1. I have 11A* GCSE, AAAA at AS and A*A*A*A* predictions so I know I fulfil all the academic criteria.Assuming my personal statement is good (not sure if it is or not lol) do I stand a chance of getting an Edinburgh offer? My UKCAT is my main concernThanks!
isabella1999
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by emerj98_)
Hi everyone, I'm sending my application away next week and was wondering if anyone knows what sort of UKCAT score you need for Edinburgh? I got 710 average (VR 670, QR 770 and AR 690) and Band 1. I have 11A* GCSE, AAAA at AS and A*A*A*A* predictions so I know I fulfil all the academic criteria.Assuming my personal statement is good (not sure if it is or not lol) do I stand a chance of getting an Edinburgh offer? My UKCAT is my main concernThanks!
I think your score should be fine, check if your total gets into the top octile for the last few years (though the interim average showed scores have increased a little) to see if you are likely to lose any points. Think you are likely to be the top or at least the second! I have really similar stats to you, assuming I have a full academic/UKCAT score so praying my PS doesnt let me down although teachers say it's good but still worried aha
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Design: Ceramics, Furniture or Jewellery Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 25 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?