Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Petition for - EU Membership for Individuals -now approved by government watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Theplace)
    Just as the referendum has not been approved by government yet. Yes.
    If you are referring to the petition calling for a second Brexit referendum, that is all done and dusted. There was a debate; there was no vote; there was never going to be a vote; there was certainly never going to be a second referendum.

This petition, that has still found only sixteen people dim enough to think it sensible to support it, will go nowhere: it is asking for something that really is impossible.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Just as the referendum has not been approved by government yet. Yes.
    Dude, for reference, I voted Remain. And I promoted the 2nd Ref Petition on TSR.

But the government has accepted the EUref result, they just haven't activated A50 yet. Indeed they may never activate it, but that's a separate topic.

It is simply misleading to say your petition is "now approved by government". If you are doing this deliberately you are continuing the tactic of using disingenous misinformation that has been an unfortunate signature of the whole EU ref campaign on both sides. If so please stop.

If it's an error of understanding then just remove the phrase from the thread title, and move on.

ReputationRep:
    It's what they said in the email they sent me.....take it up with them. It also what they said in the referendum, the referendum was approved by gov who then has to vote on it in parliament to pass it.
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Why does your thread title mean "now approved by government"?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    The gov has to approve a petition to be a petition,
    No. It's a "parliamentary committee" not "government". Parliament is not government. This is a key error in your understanding of British constitutional law.

Please read: https://www.parliament.uk/about/how/role/

ReputationRep:
    Dude, you don't need no second referendum, dude. The first was advisory.
    (Original post by jneill)
    Dude, for reference, I voted Remain. And I promoted the 2nd Ref Petition on TSR.

But the government has accepted the EUref result, they just haven't activated A50 yet. Indeed they may never activate it, but that's a separate topic.

It is simply misleading to say your petition is "now approved by government". If you are doing this deliberately you are continuing the tactic of using disingenous misinformation that has been an unfortunate signature of the whole EU ref campaign on both sides. If so please stop.

If it's an error of understanding then just remove the phrase from the thread title, and move on.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    It's what they said in the email they sent me.....take it up with them. It also what they said in the referendum, the referendum was approved by gov who then has to vote on it in parliament to pass it.
    Post up the email.

ReputationRep:
    Dude you are correct, but by your other posts I felt I had to dumb it down.
    No. It's a "parliamentary committee" not "government". Parliament is not government. This is a key error in your understanding of British constitutional law.

• Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I know the first was advisory. I have said that many times. I also said the 2nd Ref petition was rather flawed.

Seems to be a common problem...

ReputationRep:
    I waited weeks for the petition title to be approved. It now has been.

ReputationRep:
    It WILL be debated in Parliament if it is signed and not boycotted by people who are peeved that someone had the gumption to try to do something.
    No they will consider it for debate if it reaches 100k signatures, they can still reject it for debate no matter how many people sign it.

There's a difference between boycotting something and not taking it seriously.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I waited weeks for the petition title to be approved. It now has been.
    Congratulations.

As I said above: post up the text of the email confirming acceptance of the petition.

ReputationRep:
    I don't much care for your demanding attitude. Also see end of letter...UK Gov and Parliament.
    However: This was the first one that was rejected.
    Dear xxxx
    Your petition is nearly ready to go. We have supported your petition – “'individual' EU membership for UK citizens Visa free work and study.” We’re checking your petition to make sure it meets the petition standards. If it does, we’ll publish it. This usually takes a week or less.Find out how we check petitions before we publish them:https://petition.parliament.uk/help#standardsThanks,The Petitions teamUK Government and Parliament
    Post up the email.

ReputationRep:
    What is the difference? The entire Brexit process is going to be about complicated grey areas, rights for some but not others, temporary quotas that can not be imposed realistically. And I am unrealistic? Instead of making comstructive suggestions and having an intelligent debate, this thread has mean spirited killjoys who will not engage in a legal discourse on the matter.
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    No they will consider it for debate if it reaches 100k signatures, they can still reject it for debate no matter how many people sign it.

• Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I don't much care for your demanding attitude. Also see end of letter...UK Gov and Paliament.
    However: This was the first one that was rejected.
    Dear xxxx
    Your petition is nearly ready to go. We have supported your petition – “'individual' EU membership for UK citizens Visa free work and study.” We’re checking your petition to make sure it meets the petition standards. If it does, we’ll publish it. This usually takes a week or less.Find out how we check petitions before we publish them:https://petition.parliament.uk/help#standardsThanks,The Petitions teamUK Government and Parliament
    Yep. Not "approved by Government".

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    They have accepted the petition to be published.
    If Parliament had voted on it it would be on the front page not this TSR thread.
    You get one line at the top of a message board.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I do hope you are at least studying law.
    Congratulations.

As I said above: post up the text of the email confirming acceptance of the petition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    If you are referring to the petition calling for a second Brexit referendum, that is all done and dusted. There was a debate; there was no vote; there was never going to be a vote; there was certainly never going to be a second referendum.

This petition, that has still found only sixteen people dim enough to think it sensible to support it, will go nowhere: it is asking for something that really is impossible.
    Not that petition, which was entirely unnessary.

ReputationRep:
    See end of letter. I'm quite up on the law, UK, EU, constitutional, US...etc, thank you.

ReputationRep:
    100,000 signature are NOT always required.
    (Original post by JamesN88)

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Your flogging a dead horse.

I'm done with this absurd thread.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 26, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.