Turn on thread page Beta

Oh my gosh! I got ripped off by River Island!! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Still completely disagree and I know for a fact that's not how we'd do it in Topshop, but as I said this is clearly not something anyone'll reach a conclusion on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amie)
    Still completely disagree and I know for a fact that's not how we'd do it in Topshop, but as I said this is clearly not something anyone'll reach a conclusion on.
    Yeah we wont agree! One more thing (sorry to rant) just because Topshop do it does not necessarily mean that all chains have to follow the same rule. Just depends on who serves you, what store and the chain. She was probably just unlucky that it wasn't authorised.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously, I was just saying that in my experience of all the fashion stores I've worked in, we'd do that for the customer. It's not a hard and fast rule, I just don't understand why someone'd be so picky and horrible about it!

But as I said - this should probably end now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amie)
    Rubbsih. You scan the item, if thats the price that comes up thats all you can do. If thats the pric eon the till thats the price on the till.

ReputationRep:
    Not rubbish, many till systems allow you (or usually a manager/supervisor) to perform a price override to fix the price. I've done it myself, for God's sake.

But as I've now said three times, we're not going to agree. END.

ReputationRep:
    Why are you all like "well topshop did did so RI must do" they're separate stores!
    Edit: I was referring specifically to amie who worked at topshop not RI..

ReputationRep:
    If it was in the sale i could understand why they'd say you could only have £12 back, as technically you didn't have a receipt.

I would have gone and got the exact same skirt from their racks and said, well scan this then, and if it came up at £12 i'd say well would you sell it at that?! Because they wouldn't.

What they did to you is appaling but because you've accepted the refund you can only write to customer support now i'm afraid If possible go back into the store, and find out the names of the people who served you, that way you can be very precise in your letter and they can deal with it appropiately.

Hope that somewhat helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lottie12)
    If it was in the sale i could understand why they'd say you could only have £12 back, as technically you didn't have a receipt.

I would have gone and got the exact same skirt from their racks and said, well scan this then, and if it came up at £12 i'd say well would you sell it at that?! Because they wouldn't.

What they did to you is appaling but because you've accepted the refund you can only write to customer support now i'm afraid If possible go back into the store, and find out the names of the people who served you, that way you can be very precise in your letter and they can deal with it appropiately.

Hope that somewhat helps
    the thing is that it was technically in the sale, as staff hadn't noticed that it was in the sale as they probably didn't read the markdown properly. RI havn't done anything wrong as the customer didnt have a receipt or proof of purchase. For all they could know is that she could ahve brought it at £12 or even stolen it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smoothie)
    Why are you all like "well topshop did did so RI must do" they're separate stores!
    Edit: I was referring specifically to amie who worked at topshop not RI..
    1. I haven't just worked at Topshop but it's the best known one, so I used that name. Admittedly I've not worked at River Island but I have worked in a few fashion shops and they've all operated the same way.

2. I'm not saying that RI should do it because Topshop do. What I'm saying is, it's clearly possible to do till overrides, many shops do it and I don't understand why RI wouldn't want to keep up with the returns policies of most of the high street. It's in their interests.

But that's my last post in this ridiculous thread, it's taking the piss now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by satinforeva)
    the thing is that it was technically in the sale, as staff hadn't noticed that it was in the sale as they probably didn't read the markdown properly. RI havn't done anything wrong as the customer didnt have a receipt or proof of purchase. For all they could know is that she could ahve brought it at £12 or even stolen it.
    Oh yeah, i agree. In RI's eyes, they could of thought that it was stolen (a bit extreme but true) so they can only give you what it comes up at, at the till.

But the OP said that the rest of them said £40 so doesn't that mean it wasn't in the sale?

ReputationRep:
    I think they key thing here is discretion, unfortunately the OP has been an unfortunate victim of this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lottie12)
    Oh yeah, i agree. In RI's eyes, they could of thought that it was stolen (a bit extreme but true) so they can only give you what it comes up at, at the till.

But the OP said that the rest of them said £40 so doesn't that mean it wasn't in the sale?
    well what happened is that when the markdown came into the store few weeks before the sale, a member of staff probably missed that item out. It should have been taken off the shop floor and displayed back when the sale actually starts. It happens all the time in my store.

ReputationRep:
    i duno if this has been said already ive read some of it but theres a lot.

u should go in the shop and buy the skirt again. if it comes up at the till as £39.99 then say well i returned it last week and u said it come through as 12 ect. if it comes through as 12 then maybe it is just in the sale but hasnt been marked down on the tag yet and then return it but make sure u keep the receipt. a bit of a faff but then u can find out the real price

ReputationRep:
    Read some of the thread, then gave up!

Anyway to the OP - not much you can do now as you accepted the £12, by all means complain (let them know the system was rubbish!) but i doubt you'll get much from it!

If that is the price that comes up when it's scanned, then that's it! It could be for various reasons (e.g. it's in the sale but ticket hasn't been updated, price of skirt has been reduced and once again ticket hasn't been updated) but there's not much you - or the person behind the till can do!

Not sure about RI procedures, but at all the stores i've worked at i would of gotten into big trouble if i gave someone £40 instead of £12 which is probably why management agreed with the person behind the till!

Anyway like i've, and many others!, have said, not much you can do now...

-x-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellietheelephant)
    i duno if this has been said already ive read some of it but theres a lot.

u should go in the shop and buy the skirt again. if it comes up at the till as £39.99 then say well i returned it last week and u said it come through as 12 ect. if it comes through as 12 then maybe it is just in the sale but hasnt been marked down on the tag yet and then return it but make sure u keep the receipt. a bit of a faff but then u can find out the real price
    I work at RI, and I an assure that its not a till error, its definitively a sale item.

ReputationRep:
    They do if it’s still got tags on and in saleable condition it’s your consumer rights there’s no such thing as not being able to return an item as long as it’s returned within the 30 day time limit doesn’t matter if it’s sale item or not and with a receipt

ReputationRep:
    Does it show on your bank statement? Some places will accept this as a proof of purchase. Chances are it’s gone into sale but not been marked down yet
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.