Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trigger)
    Indie, punk and rave does not exist in this day and age, just fake knock offs.
    Just because NME can't tell the difference between indie and pop doesnt mean there isnt an indie scene. Turn off your TV and move to New York or something.

(Original post by Jackistrad)
    I rue the day that this word indie was *******ized by the Strokes, Libertines and NME and everyone fell for it!
    :mad:

*cough* sig, avatar,username *cough*

Kaiser Chiefs, Franz Ferdinand and the Arctic Monkeys would have been such better examples :rolleyes:

The Libertines wrote and recorded all of their best stuff years before NME even knew who they were. But I don't want to get into that because most people get Pete Doherty and the Libertines confused.

And NME didnt always use to be ****, they've been around since the 60s y'know

ReputationRep:

What should I wear? A jacobean ruff and codpiece?
    Give it time, I shall become a fashion icon yet :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Pffft, all the 'real records' died years ago.

JA :love:

ReputationRep:
    Meh, Van der Graaf Generator, Jethro Tull and Gentle Giant are where its at

Is there a society for those of us who have musical tastes stuck in the 70's? I may have to make one...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by halfoflessthan50p)
    Just because NME can't tell the difference between indie and pop doesnt mean there isnt an indie scene. Turn off your TV and move to New York or something.

Again il say there is no indie scene anymore. Not a real one. Sorry to burst your bubble darling

ReputationRep:
    there will always be an indie scene, as there will always be independant record labels. its like saying "theres no guitar gods any more": they're there, you just have to look harder to find them.

ReputationRep:
    indie doesnt mean the same anymore though, maybe they need to change thier name to something else like finder bands or something :p:

ReputationRep:
    indie doesnt mean the same anymore though, maybe they need to change thier name to something else like finder bands or something :p:

theres two sides to the indie argument.. some will say those who listen to kaiser chiefs, arctic monkeys, etc. are not indie because they are too popular.

arctic monkeys, however, are signed to domino, an indie label. making them indie. therefore, you can listen to arctic monkeys and say you enjoy indie music.

my personal opinion is that indie kids are pretentious buffoons with a knowledge of music made before the day they were born that reads: "nick drake."

ReputationRep:
    rep

ReputationRep:

Take your cues from this man if you wish to dress indie

ReputationRep:
    To: halfwitlessof50whatever

I'm sorry, I'm not familar with meaningless Doherty shibboleths

If the Libertines did truly record such great music before the NME got a hold of them, why aren't we all placing them on a solid gold pedastal along with other greats? Instead of politely smiling out of embarrsement at them.

Please, if you want to take issue with me over music go away and listen to some real records and get back to me, I suggest:

Pavement - Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain, Wowee Zowee, Slanted and Enchanted
    Neutral Milk Hotel - In Areoplanes over the sea
    Sonic Youth -Dirty, Goo
    Silver Jews - American Water
    Boards of Canada - Music has the right to Children
    Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
    Joanna Newsom - Ys, Milk Eyed Mender
    Palace Music - Viva Last Blues
    Elliot Smith - Either/Or
    Guided by Voices - Bee Thousand
    Spoon - A Series of Sneaks
    The Fall - Hex Enduction Hour, This Nation's saving grace

Ohh I could go on!

I've heard all your Libertines tripe, I was 14, had shaggy hair and wanted to be a rock star. Then I grew up. So here you can start your real music education with me.

For everyone else, I am sorry for this outburst, do continue

THE FALL!....my favourite from the album of the same name is 'the classical' but i can never play it out loud comfortably becuase of *that* line :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poptartesticles)

Take your cues from this man if you wish to dress indie

MORRISSEY, MORRISSEY, MORRISSEY! MORRISSEY, MORRISSEY MORRISSEEEEEEY...

Ummm, sorry....

^^^^^^^
    OBSESSIVE

ReputationRep:

Please, if you want to take issue with me over music go away and listen to some real records and get back to me, I suggest:

Sonic Youth -Dirty, Goo
    Elliot Smith - Either/Or

Ohh I could go on!

I've heard all your Libertines tripe, I was 14, had shaggy hair and wanted to be a rock star. Then I grew up. So here you can start your real music education with me.

Im really not making this up, but i have all the albums on that list except for 4 of them.

Ys, Milk Eyed Mender, Goo and Aeroplanes would all be in my top 20 albums. Ive seen Joanna Newsom live twice.

so neuuuuu :p:

And if you want musical snobbery im sure I know more about punk, art-rock, folk and world music than you do

If the Libertines did truly record such great music before the NME got a hold of them, why aren't we all placing them on a solid gold pedastal along with other greats? Instead of politely smiling out of embarrsement at them.
    I dunno what shibboleths means so I'll ignore that

I thought you were against mainstream music? Youre criticising the libertines because the mainstream media dislikes them? Theres loads of bands that are under appreciated by everyone except their particular cult following (Ocean Colour Scene comes to mind.) The velvet underground got practically no attention throughout their career

I think we both agree that Joanna Newsom is a hugely talented musican and lyricist. But shes not appreciated in the way that the beatles, hendrix or Buckley are. Does that mean shes **** like the libertines? no it just means the mass media doesnt like psych-folk

Its a pity that NME supports bands like the libertines, the yeah yeah yeahs so adamantly because it gives the impression that they're equivalent to all the other **** they play on MTV2. Youre entitled to your opinions Jack but Up the Bracket and the Legs 11 sessions bear more resemblance to the early kinks, the clash and the smiths than Franz Ferdinand. You should stop reading the Sun and judge bands on their musical and creative merit

ReputationRep:
    Again il say there is no indie scene anymore. Not a real one. Sorry to burst your bubble darling
    Devendra Banhart, Joanna Newsom, Anthony and the Johnsons, Belle and Sebastian, Nouvelle Vague, Camera Obscura, Sigur Ros, Sonic Youth, Vashti Bunyan, CocoRosie etc etc. Plus alot of little bands that no ones heard of yet (The Moulettes, Littl'ans anyone?)

Granted, i'd rather have been alive in the 60s but theres alot going on at the moment

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inquilaab)
    How do i dress post rock with a tinge of gore metal :O
    Wear black leather and 'razorblade' jeweleery, plus spatter yourself with red paint and wear white face powder!

As for the person who said it was emo or scene dressing, they're wrong.

EMO
    -Black/grey/red/brightly coloured skinny jeans
    -Polkadots for girls
    -Thick-rimmed dark glasses
    -Long floppy hair hanging over one eye (guys&girls)/ Long hair all bouffanted at the back (girls)
    -Retro-look cartoon T-shirts
    -Those long necklaces with round beads in various bright and dark plastic colours
    -Dark eyeliner

Scensters also wear bows in their hair and wear striped/Argyle-patterned socks with their skirts/shorts

ReputationRep:

Sonic Youth -Dirty, Goo
    Elliot Smith - Either/Or

Ohh I could go on!

****in awesome list.

ReputationRep:
    Indie does not exist in this day and age, just fake knock offs.
    That's complete bull**** trigger. You have bands like razorlight who do nothing for the progression of music, yet are well known, comercially successful and followed by a bunch of fickle fans. That could be argued is not alternative, is not indie. Much of the student indie scene, i've found, is focussed around this pseudo-indie. However, you still get plenty of bands looking for a new sound, a different sound, rather than just following the commercial formula. These bands are generally not well known, but their fanbase loyal and their music indie.

ReputationRep:
    Man who cares, seriously. Good music is good music, and subjective, why to people have to align their social identity with their music taste?

ReputationRep:
    'Up The Bracket' is a spankingly good album that was a breath of fresh air in early 2004. I don't care what indie-credentials-codswallop is attatched to it these days, in my eyes and ears it's a near-classic. Just because post-Libertines is a cringeworthy affair, and because it may no longer be relevant, you can't deny the influence/importance it had on people at the time. Arctic Monkeys debut did the same for the north, albiet to a lesser extent, that Libs did for London.

ReputationRep:
    some of you seem to be living in the past. Just because the past may have been better it doesn't mean you can't enjoy music today. Don't go on others opinions like in NME, they say that a band is good them when public opinion changes they say why would anyone like that? I still read NME, I like to read about the music that is around at the moment, whether of not NME decides to like them one minute and hate them the next. I don't listen to music because it is popular or unpopular or whatever, I listen to it because I genuinely like it. that is what indie should be about, listening to what you like not what other people want you to hear, or what 'stereotype indie' says you should. the same goes for clothes, i wear indie clothes because I genuinely like them, I wouldn't wear something i wasn't comfortable in. We can be influenced my things such as NME, but we can make our own minds up. Indie is about gigging, so how can you say you are indie when you like bands that have split up and not new and gigging bands?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.