Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Was a bit bored and decided to make a tier listing for all the universities in the UK watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wired_1800)
    I think Manchester's quality is top notch. It should be classed as Tier 1, but many people, especially on TSR, seem to despise Manchester.
    I like it too. But you have to be crazy to class it in the same bracket as LSE, Imperial or Oxbridge. They're some of the best institutions on the planet. Not just the UK.

(Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    I don't despise Manchester but I fail to see what is special about it relative to places like Bristol, Durham, Warwick, KCL, St Andrew's. It's great for physics, I know that much, but I don't see anything overall special about it, good industry connections or what (to be fair I have a relative in his late 20s who I think went to Manchester and quickly got an excellent job)?
    I heard their computer science and engineering departments were really good too. Plus the uni is so massive that I wouldn't be surprised if they had good industry connections. But threads like this will always start controversy because people get personally offended when others don't compliment the uni they attend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wired_1800)
    Believe what you want, mate. To me, it is not bias.
    This is of course the point where one would ask you to provide some supporting evidence to substantiate your claim, but I think that we've seen enough REF rankings and uni league tables already. I'm sure that you won't hesitate to cite Goldman Sach's CEO or the invention of graphene as anecdotal evidence of Manchester's greatness...

This list was enough of a disaster to begin with - no need to worsen it further.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by lucabrasi98)
    I like it too. But you have to be crazy to class it in the same bracket as LSE, Imperial or Oxbridge. They're some of the best institutions on the planet. Not just the UK.

I heard their computer science and engineering departments were really good too. Plus the uni is so massive that I wouldn't be surprised if they had good industry connections. But threads like this will always start controversy because people get personally offended when others don't compliment the uni they attend.
    Manchester is part of the best institutions on the planet.

Here is a World Ranking from QS that shows Manchester to be the 33rd Best University in the World and one of the Best in Europe.

http://www.topuniversities.com/unive...=false+search=

Like I said, in the UK, things are abit biased.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Mathmoji)
    *I am actually amazed that a TSR 'support worker' is perpetuating the myth that certain degrees are better than others. Its one thing for people like OP to attempt to do it, its quite another to be sanctioned by someone associated with the site.

I'm probably the only person in this thread who has actually hired an oxbridge grad. Last year I took on an oxford medicine grad. He was great at interview, but couldn't do the actual job to save his life. When a permanent position came up later in the year, I gave it to an applicant who had gone to a uni somewhere in the relegation zone of the league tables because he could actually do the job I needed him to do. I'm disappointed in myself obviously for being fooled at interview, but this is kind of my point; an oxbridge degree might get your foot in the door, but it wont keep it there if you aren't good enough.

Anyway princepieman, tell me, what is your substantial experience of the world then?
    Never agreed with the bit in bold and I still don't agree with it. That (albeit snide) comment was more about the networks point the prior poster made, which is absolutely correct. Going to Oxbridge won't guarantee you a job, no but it does place you in a group of students that have a high probability of doing well in their careers (mainly because of the traits that got them into Oxbridge in the first place), and because of this it would be say, much easier, for someone who was former college buddies with a now mid-senior level manager to get an interview (later on in life that is) at a certain company than it would be for someone who applied without a pull whatsoever.

That was the point. ^

Generally, I'd agree with your post and example, but some industries and some firms within those industries can be quite 'snooty' when it comes to university brand. By and large it's not as important (bar the networking case above/the exceptions like top end law, finance, consulting etc..) as people make it out to be.

Well, I've ran 2 companies (alongside school) before and have hired ~15 people all told. But that's not really important.

ReputationRep:
    Leicester is probably rated above Liverpool now and Surrey too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexp98)
    Leicester is probably rated above Liverpool now and Surrey too
    Don't bump cancerous threads.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.