Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

MHoC By-Election: Voting Watch

• View Poll Results: Who should be elected as an MP in seat 46?
    JoeL1994
    45.28%
    Nigel Farage MEP
    19.81%
    BenC1997
    32.08%
    (Spoilt ballot)
    2.83%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john2054)
    Sounds impressive. I wonder how the powers that be will take to us even having this conversation? There is still time for me to vote either way...
    I'd certainly like to think that they wouldn't mind a candidate answering a few questions for a possible voter - votes are earned, not given, after all!

Well, as I said, I am happy to answer any questions you may have.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    So you wrote a statement in favour of invading and you must have supported it as like you say you stay true to your politics.

It seems during the vote it was a conservative who spoke out against invading whilst labour MPs supported it.
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3914259

It seems that you are trying to say actions that both of the previous government parties (labour and liberal) allowed is somehow the fault of the opposition who did not write the legislation.
    There was no invasion called, the plan was to prepare in the event that it was needed. Yes, I supported it, what is your point?
    If you read the statement the plan was to step up preparations in case retaliation was required.

Feel free to look at the votes in there as well, it's a fairly even spread between the 3 parties concerned. I may have written the statement, but individual MPs made their own decision whether or not to support it.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by john2054)
    Without actually having to wade through any more documents, now my degree is over, sell yourself to me in a paragraph or two. Let's see what you can conjure up Also ps please try to refrain from the ad hominem attacking the other party/character's weaknesses. Sell us what makes you, and what you stand for, great? PPS you can bring in the bigger political realm, public politics in to it. I see nothing wrong with doing this!
    As you should be aware from the sub-forum, the Labour party has big plans for the House. We need this seat to take forward the policies that will bring about real change to the people of TSRland. My policies are laid out simply and I'd be more than happy to expand on any of them. My voting record this year is 100% and IIRC since February last year I have only missed 4 votes in total.

My commitment to safeguarding people through making the right choices in the NHS is paramount. By looking at the way we recruit, train and keep Doctors and AHPs in the NHS we can slowly phase out Locum positions which are one of the biggest sources of expenditure at present. It also gives us the opportunity to support young people into a lifelong, rewarding career meaning not only will they thrive as individuals but in doing so will be able to provide a service invaluable to others.

Alongside this, the opportunity is now for us to protect workers' rights. We have already (luckily) seen one bill that would damage workers fail to pass this term, it is time to once again enshrine in law the protection that we want, whether that be with regards to redundancy, the right to strike, the legality of TTIP, equal pay or even unemployment.

I'm passionate about my first point on Low Emission Zones also. We have seen the success of both London (the first LEZ) and Oxford (the first outside London) in cutting emission pollution and improving air quality. Quality of life is not just about what we have access too or our psychosocial aspect, it is about the environment we live in. The Labour party would stand at the fore of this, pushing for those largest 25 cities (as a minimum) in the UK to introduce LEZs and make a real difference environmentally to the millions of people who would benefit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoeL1994)
    As you should be aware from the sub-forum, the Labour party has big plans for the House. We need this seat to take forward the policies that will bring about real change to the people of TSRland. My policies are laid out simply and I'd be more than happy to expand on any of them. My voting record this year is 100% and IIRC since February last year I have only missed 4 votes in total.

My commitment to safeguarding people through making the right choices in the NHS is paramount. By looking at the way we recruit, train and keep Doctors and AHPs in the NHS we can slowly phase out Locum positions which are one of the biggest sources of expenditure at present. It also gives us the opportunity to support young people into a lifelong, rewarding career meaning not only will they thrive as individuals but in doing so will be able to provide a service invaluable to others.

Alongside this, the opportunity is now for us to protect workers' rights. We have already (luckily) seen one bill that would damage workers fail to pass this term, it is time to once again enshrine in law the protection that we want, whether that be with regards to redundancy, the right to strike, the legality of TTIP, equal pay or even unemployment.

I'm passionate about my first point on Low Emission Zones also. We have seen the success of both London (the first LEZ) and Oxford (the first outside London) in cutting emission pollution and improving air quality. Quality of life is not just about what we have access too or our psychosocial aspect, it is about the environment we live in. The Labour party would stand at the fore of this, pushing for those largest 25 cities (as a minimum) in the UK to introduce LEZs and make a real difference environmentally to the millions of people who would benefit.
    That also sounds good Joe. I'm sorry to say this but i can see reasons for voting either way, and even if it is a swing seat, i need to vote with my conscious, which means spoiling the ballot, or most easily not voting at all. i hope this hasn't offended you too much by saying this!?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by BenC1997)
    Well one thing to keep in mind is that, as a Government MP, whilst I would of course defend the government and its bills, I would not have to bend over backwards to one particular party, as the current government is made up of a Con-Lib coalition (I am a member of the Liberal Party.) So don't see the Conservative, or indeed the Liberal, label next to my name and, as a Labour member, be instantly put off.
    It should be the other way around. Party comes before government. If you don't feel you can give the Liberal party your full allegiance then you shouldn't be in it.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Little Toy Gun)
    Sending my vote from Colombia!:woo:
    Venezuela would be so much more apt, but you would probably be dinner.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    It should be the other way around. Party comes before government. If you don't feel you can give the Liberal party your full allegiance then you shouldn't be in it.
    A bit rich...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    A bit rich...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Venezuela would be so much more apt, but you would probably be dinner.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I was actually in Venezuela just four days ago.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    Haven't gotten a rep from you since 21/06/16... you need to rep more people in that case...
    PRSOM

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    I stopped looking at when you last repped me after I got past the beginning of May, so....
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    I stopped looking at when you last repped me after I got past the beginning of May, so....
    Yep, and you thought QQ was bad

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Andy98)
    Yep, and you thought QQ was bad

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Tbh, I prefer getting rep from the right, because then at least I know I'm not getting stupider and stupider
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I assume the second part of your question refers to you being a member of the Labour Party? - If so, then don't worry about the whip as I'm pretty sure Labour don't actually have one, and either way the vote is private so no one will know how you have voted.

Well one thing to keep in mind is that, as a Government MP, whilst I would of course defend the government and its bills, I would not have to bend over backwards to one particular party, as the current government is made up of a Con-Lib coalition (I am a member of the Liberal Party.) So don't see the Conservative, or indeed the Liberal, label next to my name and, as a Labour member, be instantly put off.

I also believe certain things that, as a Labour member, I think you would agree with. I personally believe class C drugs should be decriminalised (I believe maruajna and lsd have already been on here.) People should, in my opinion, be free to use these substances, and the expensive and ineffective war on drugs should have its funds directed elsewhere - to meaningful places like the NHS.
    The reason I think foreign aid ought to be reduced is due to the fact many of the countries it is sent to, such as India and Pakistan, are able to develop vastly expensive nuclear and space programmes whilst having civilians largely living in squalor and, certainly in the case of Pakistan, an extremely repressive, homophobic and brutal penal system. These are things I do not believe we should be complicit in by financially supporting these states.

I also aim to be an active member of the House - though that's not to say that I believe the other candidates would not do the same.

If you have any further questions, do not hesitate to ask. Also, for the record, I do not feel my relative lack of experience would affect my ability to be an MP in any adverse way.
    Your government is essentially trying to ban LSD at the moment.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Tbh, I prefer getting rep from the right, because then at least I know I'm not getting stupider and stupider
    Yeah, but calling the Tories and co right wing is the biggest oxymoron there is; I mean they're hardly ever right

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    I understand what you mean - however as I see it I will be elected (if I am) to represent the government, not only my party, given that there are two parties in government. If I can't give my full allegiance to the government, then I really should not be a government MP.

If I was running on just a liberal nomination, my attitude would of course be different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    Your government is essentially trying to ban LSD at the moment.
    Indeed, however having looked at "Talk to Frank" and other websites (perhaps it has been downgraded on here?) it appears LSD is a Class A drug - so it being banned doesn't really go against my beliefs stated in this thread and in the manifesto.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Indeed, however having looked at "Talk to Frank" and other websites (perhaps it has been downgraded on here?) it appears LSD is a Class A drug - so it being banned doesn't really go against my beliefs stated in this thread and in the manifesto.
    Sorry but yes, it does. a) It's not a Class A drug in TSRland because it's already been legalised by Labour and b) you state in your manifesto that you believe in freedom of the individual - stopping people from doing something that they want to do that doesn't necessarily have a harmful impact on others is directly contrary to that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    Sorry but yes, it does. a) It's not a Class A drug in TSRland because it's already been legalised by Labour and b) you state in your manifesto that you believe in freedom of the individual - stopping people from doing something that they want to do that doesn't necessarily have a harmful impact on others is directly contrary to that.
    In that case (referring to point A) then I agree that fact the bill will ban LSD is, to me, regrettable - however, if in the longer run this allows greater understanding of these drugs, including their possible benefits in medical treatment, then that is perhaps an acceptable compromise.

Having read the sub-forum in the government on this bill - it appears the Labour bill that decriminalised LSD did not allow for research of all drugs.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    Though this isn't the place to be having this debate, we've submitted the bill to allow greater research, so we can take a scientific approach towards decriminalisation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.