Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparklemotion)
    I thought it was way too rushed. Personally, I would be happy to stay for another hour or so if the book was covered in more detail. This was my favourite of the books so far and I just felt that the film didn't do it justice - everything was covered so superficially. Saying that, though, I was really impressed with Evanna Lynch as Luna! I thought she could have come off as quite annoying, so I was glad that the portrayal veered more towards "cute eccentricity".

One little detail I liked was the fact that just before Sirius is killed he shouts out to Harry, "Well done, James!" Just a subtle nod to one of the themes of OoTP the book, that Sirius is using Harry as a replacement for James, which Harry can't be.
    Aww, but didnt you see the smile Harry had on his face when Sirius said that? I thought that was touching really lol.

Also Luna reminds me of the character Cassie in Skins...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Excalibur)
    I think it's the way he dresses that makes him look so good! I must say I quite like older men - I like Alan Rickman too
    Hehe, I must admit I'd never really noticed him before now, i think it was the fact that he had more action in this one which made me suddenly realise he's really pretty gorgeous!! I like older men too... Alan Rickman is awesome (not so much as Snape but in other stuff). Although actually, Daniel Radcliffe is actually turning into a good-looking lad (I would never normally find anyone under 30 attractive btw!:p: )!!

ReputationRep:
    Just back from and, to be honest, if they took any more of the storyline out, they'd have been better skipping the whole film. On its own, if you haven't read the book then I'm sure its quite confusing and doesn't have a point. Take my dad, he came out from it and said "And the moral of the story is the importance of love and friendship". That was all he really got from it.

I did, however, adore Umbridge, Luna and Bellatrix but I think we could've seen more from everyone in the film if they had just made it that little bit longer. There were some supposedly "main" characters who had one or two lines! And dear God! Emma Watson is annoying when she wants to be! I read somewhere here that someone got fed up with her eyebrows so of course that's all I noticed the whole film! And not once did they stop moving!! Gah! And everything she says is just so intense that you're expecting her to say something really important when she'd really have been better staying in bed.

On a whole, I'll repeat the first thing I said when I came out from it,
    "So....the 7th Book is out on Saturday. I'm looking forward to that."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MeepMeep09)
    Just back from and, to be honest, if they took any more of the storyline out, they'd have been better skipping the whole film. On its own, if you haven't read the book then I'm sure its quite confusing and doesn't have a point. Take my dad, he came out from it and said "And the moral of the story is the importance of love and friendship". That was all he really got from it.

I did, however, adore Umbridge, Luna and Bellatrix but I think we could've seen more from everyone in the film if they had just made it that little bit longer. There were some supposedly "main" characters who had one or two lines! And dear God! Emma Watson is annoying when she wants to be! I read somewhere here that someone got fed up with her eyebrows so of course that's all I noticed the whole film! And not once did they stop moving!! Gah! And everything she says is just so intense that you're expecting her to say something really important when she'd really have been better staying in bed.

On a whole, I'll repeat the first thing I said when I came out from it,
    "So....the 7th Book is out on Saturday. I'm looking forward to that."
    I couldn't agree more, plus i was too lazy to write my own comments...

However the lack of angry Neville and Harry was poor...like the film

ReputationRep:
    Gotta admit they all look more grown up, and pretty hot in most cases...
    I'm straight but Bellatrix... oh my. xD

Alot of the story was missed out, also the music in the common room?!?

ReputationRep:
    I tried to watch it from two points of view - 1. -the fan of the books and 2. it's just a film. As just a film it was quite good, but it's hard not to make comparisons to the book.

Some thoughts:

- Bellatrix - anyone else think Amy Winehouse once the drugs and booze have taken their toll?
    - The advance guard. No Lupin, so why was Harry so trusting? Like it says in the book, the last time he saw Moody wasn't one of his best experiences!
    - No St. Mungos. Shame. Would Neville really volunteer that information?
    - Interesting about Kreacher. Added absolutely NOTHING to the plot of the film (unlike the book), and yet was kept in, unlike Winky. Does this mean that he will be significant in book 7?
    - No locket in Sirius' house
    - Was it me, or did they go to 11 Gimmauld Place, not 12?
    - The riding down the thames scene?!? Wizards who have to stay hidden away swooping down by boats? As if!
    - No fidelius charm on the house - Moody just made it appear
    - Didn't find out about the relations between teh Black's and Malfoys. Perhaps not very important?
    - No Centaur attack on Umbridge. Was really looking forward to Ron doing his clip-clop noise in the hospital wing!
    - No real incapacitation with the kids at the Ministry. In the book, Harry is the only one at the end 'cause the others are unconcious - they'd help if they good. Didn't have that sense in the film
    - People have mentioned film Ginny doesn't seem that attractive - this might be because in the film she's still hung up on Harry rather than getting out there and being all popular and admired by others as she is in the books?
    - What was the point of that silly little kid? They could have put some book stuff in instead of that pointless nonsense!
    - Would have liked to have seen more of the ministry (and dumbledore's airmchair. Not important but quite fun to see!)
    - Didn't find out that the prophecy could have been about Neville.
    - Ordinary boys. I'm sure Harry was supposed to have been born in 1982 or something like that... He'd have been in year 11 before that was out, anyway!
    - Didn't get to see Ron and Herminone become prefects. Nor the quidditch. They could've left Ron out of the mirror scene in Philosopher's Stone really!

Hmm... I'm getting a bit ranty now. I shall stop!

ReputationRep:
    It's definitely a good review.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maucej)
    - Bellatrix - anyone else think Amy Winehouse once the drugs and booze have taken their toll?
    LOLZ!
    (Original post by maucej)
    - Interesting about Kreacher. Added absolutely NOTHING to the plot of the film (unlike the book), and yet was kept in, unlike Winky. Does this mean that he will be significant in book 7?
    Yeah, there was a JK Rownling quote kicking around mugglenet a while ago saying that she had strongly advised them to keep Kreacher in. We'll find out soon enough why...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MeepMeep09)
    . On its own, if you haven't read the book then I'm sure its quite confusing and doesn't have a point. Take my dad, he came out from it and said "And the moral of the story is the importance of love and friendship". That was all he really got from it.
    Agreed watching the film was like readinga sentence with all the vowels missed out, you could follow it but very loosely and it could be quite confusing. Too many scenes were just to short - the whole arthur being bitten by the snake for instance was far too short. too many chrachters didnt have enough space and time

Radcliffes acting has improved immensley - i guess getting naked with a horse on stage paid off. Watsons is getting bloody worse she was extra cringworthy in this film.

the whole Sirius calling harry james is fine to those of us who know the books but to those that dont it would be very confusing.

This film was defiently geared toward those who know the book, though i did enjoy it for the most part. the battle in the ministry could gave been longer

ReputationRep:
    I was really disappointed with the movie tbh. It was ok, but then again, i think i was looking at it from a 'i've read the book' sort of way. I think the goblet of fire was better (movie wise, anyway)

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only person who thought it was rubbish?

I thought Luna was excellent and Umbridge.

I was really utterly disapointed as the trailer had looked so good.

I actually thought it was quite clever how they killed off the Chgo relationship by making it her who told Umbridge. It would have been impossible to show how the relationship broke naturally, but I thought it was important that they Kept Cho as a character. Quite clever I thought. BUT!! The obvious Ginny hints were embarassing. It was just TOO obvious.

I thought a lot of the acting was horrific. Fred and George were awful, just so so stiff. And, I thought Hermoine was cringingly bad.

The ending was far too rushed. Sirius's death was crap. They hadn't built enough on the relationship between Harry and Sirius enough.

The only thing I thought 'wow' was when Voldemort became apart of harry and said 'You're losing, old man'. I thought that was very well done.

Overall, I was rather disapointed. I've never expected much from the films. But was impressed with GoF.

ReputationRep:
    Just saw it now and overall it wasn't that bad.

I thought it was a tad rushed since they took out practically 50% of the storyline, but in terms of the actual characters I thought were brilliant. Luna, Umbridge, Bellatrix and even Tonx were all fantastic and just how I imagined them (though I didn't expect Bellatrix and Tonx to be that attractive).

Sirius's death was kinda just like in the books, one minute he was alive the next he was dead.

I was a little dissapointed with Dumbledores character though. Like when he angrly shouted at the students "Shouldn't you be in class". That was something Dumbledore would never say, and I was dissapointed that Frienze didn't make a re-appearance.

ReputationRep:
    I thought it wa rushed too but the actin was great and overall it was good i thought, saw it on Sat.

ReputationRep:
    OMG.

I've just read some of the reveiws on wikipedia and look what one of them wrote:

"The San Francisco Chronicle complained about a "lousy" storyline, alleging that the first twenty minutes of the film, when Harry is put on trial for performing magic outside of school and threatened with expulsion, but is cleared of all charges, did not advance the plot."

Obviously, they do not know what happens in the book :mad:

ReputationRep:
    I enjoyed it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    OMG.

I've just read some of the reveiws on wikipedia and look what one of them wrote:

"The San Francisco Chronicle complained about a "lousy" storyline, alleging that the first twenty minutes of the film, when Harry is put on trial for performing magic outside of school and threatened with expulsion, but is cleared of all charges, did not advance the plot."

Obviously, they do not know what happens in the book :mad:
    Clearly they do not. I also read a review where they stated that the formula of Harry starting off at the Dursley's is a bit old.

I don't think the understand that it reiterates the fact that although his life their is miserable, he has to stay there in order to be protected.

ReputationRep:
    Was anyone else pretty disappointed with this? I'm quite surprised that the general consensus seems to be that it's the best film yet. Maybe I was just watching it in the wrong frame of mind. I didn't like the first two films, but I was very impressed by the third and forth, and pretty disappointed by Order of the Phoenix.

Firstly it was incredibly rushed. Masses of really nice bits of the story were missed out - I know that's inevitable with a film, but it felt like loads of fantastic characters turned up briefly before disappearing again. People like Tonks and even Hagrid had such brief roles that it hardly felt like they were in it at all. Some crucial things in the book - Harry's misery for most of the year, Percy's relationship with his family, Quidditch, etc, etc, were ignored entirely.

Other characters irritated me. Luna and Tonks were played decently, but they're not supposed to be beautifully attractive people! Why do films insist on making the geeky, slightly odd people look like this? How is the average child watching the film supposed to react when "Loony" Lovegood looks like that?

Umbridge annoyed me. A lot. She's supposed to be a nasty piece of work, and she's certainly supposed to be annoying, but she's also supposed to be a genuine threat - there was nothing to suggest she had anything more than an irritating voice. She was overplayed and certainly shouldn't have been that painful to listen to. The massively shortened version of her speech, the way it cut to Hermione who said something "deep" about the ministry interfering at Hogwards - it was just done very nastily.

Of the things that they added for the film, some I had no problem with - having an actual ear for the extending ears certainly made it more interesting - but some were just strange. Who came up with the ridiculous high wall with lots of signs noone can read on it and filch nearly falling off his ladder? Hogwarts is supposed to be a place where these people actually go to school - it turned it from the believable fantasy of the books into something that really doesn't quite make sense.

Finally using the newspapers to cut between scenes (which seemed to happen a lot, especially at the end) seemed like a cheap trick to avoid actually shooting any more scenes - it's not interesting to see three headlines in a row that avoid actually having masses of the plot in the film, and even the newspapers themselves were badly made. The "Voldemort Returns" announcement had slightly silly sounding adverts on the page all around it, for instance. He's a serious threat, that really wouldn't happen. Dumbledore was also very disappointing - his fight seemed like an old man trying to hold on tight to something - there was nothing of the incredibly powerful figure Rowling writes about. We should have believed that Voldemort was genuinely frightened of him and didn't dare fight anymore - instead he just looked like he was getting a bit bored and wandering off at the end.

I suppose the biggest problem is that it was always a much harder book to make a film from than any of the others so far. The first 4 books had very direct plots, plenty of room for a dramatic ending and conclusion, and were tightly focussed enough that plenty of things could be left out with most of the important things being left over. I didn't much like the 5th book (compared with the others), but where it succeeded was in creating an atmosphere - a world that really wasn't as happy as it used to be, a ministry that was out of touch, and a Hogwarts that was being changed for the worst. Conveying that in a film would be a massive challenge and I don't think they managed it this time.

The film was perhaps a decent "very brief summary" of the 5th book. It's good revision to read the new one. But I really don't think it worked as a film.

(Addition: I've just read the post above about whether the trial should have been in the film or not - and I think I agree that it really wasn't a good start to the film. In the book of course it works perfectly - it fits in with everything else, it takes up a chapter out of 38, it's one little thing that helps create the right impression. In the film it's made to look like the first 1/5th of the plot, and it's not especially exciting, and it doesn't achieve anything. I imagine the main reason they chose to keep this over all of the other things they could have chosen to keep (after all, Quidditch is more visuall impressive) is simply because it's required that Harry's seen the ministry before the end of the film - but I agree that it didn't work well as a scene in itself. As for the Dursley's, I'd rather they'd forgotten about them rather than some of the other things that were missing)

Other things I've just thought of - we see Kreacher and Grimmauld place basically once. Never again. Why even bother making it in the first place? We are supposed to get the impression that Harry hasn't seen Dumbledore. This works in the book, because it tells us that Harry hasn't seen him. It doesn't work in the film because it just looks like Dumbledore runs away once or twice! Other crucial little things in the book - like Harry not becoming a prefect - also make the smae point. Without any of this, it just looks like Dumbledore's being a bit rude! The film hardly seemed to make a point of Harry having been tricked into going to find Sirius - there certainly hardly seemed to be any indication that he was guilty. Cho's appearance was also disappointing - she had an obligatory two mentions, then he decided to walk up to her and randomly kiss her, then she betrayed him, then we never see her again. 4 appearances interspersed in the middle of all of the rest of it makes it seem irrelevant.

I suppose that in short my criticism is that there was far too much to fit into a film, they had to get rid of things and they had to massively condense what was there - but I really didn't think much of the summary they made.

ReputationRep:
    Just realised what else the film missed 'Careers Advice', ZOMG the whole reason for Harry continuing on with potions for auror purposes, just eradicated like that...

ReputationRep:
    Hadn't thought about the trial, but you're all right. In the film, they don't tie the dementors back to Umbridge, do they?

ReputationRep:
    Saw it last night - i feel it was 'meh'... lol!

Can't really say much more that is already in the thread, PinkPig has done a pretty good review! Though i must say, LOVED Umbridge's room It's like my ideal office (i'm cat mad!)

-x-

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.