Turn on thread page Beta

Graduated with a 2:1, a years experience at Microsoft - worthless watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss. B)
    Love it.

This debate about going to a lower league uni not being worth it will never end........
    At lower league universities, you can have the joy of studying with psychos who punch their dogs everytime some thing on the web upsets them.

ReputationRep:
    Wheyyyy, Son_of_the_sun!!!

Yer, tbh, going to some rubbish university isn't worth it anymore. Go to a decent university and do a decent course, or none at all. EVERYONE has some degree these days, according to my dad anyway, so do a decent one to distinguish yourself! There really isn't any point in doing such a stupid degree, unless you want to do a vocational career, such as physiotherapy or being a TV director.

OP, btw, really what was the point in doing a Criminology degree?

*sits back and awaits blazing and negative rep*

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone

I had forgotten about this thread and randomly bumped into it.

A little time down the line I am working in HR for around 22k. The job is easy enough and will be fine until i decide what I want to do.

As for those who take the piss because i did criminology, not everyone is certain what they want to do but don't want to work in a bar and wait around whilst they decide. The experience of university can help you decide what you want to do.

Also my degree taught me a lot of transferable skills. I would like to say that I turned down a job for one of the top banks in the world because it's not what i want to do...so they do take people with criminology degrees.

If you did a degree such as criminology just make up for the lack of direct experience using your personality.

So...the point in me doing a criminology degree was because I was intrigued by the topic and very much enjoyed nearly every essay I did. I also had a fantastic 4 years and picked up some good work experience on the way.

You can take the piss all you like but I now have a clear career path and am happy.

ReputationRep:
    Fair play. Cheers for the neg rep, as well.

ReputationRep:
    Criminology degree's are worthless. I got a 2:1 from that crap uni Hull and I have struggled to find employment. Why do these unis offer these courses? To make money. It is a disgrace. The prospectus of possible careers was misleading

ReputationRep:
    They don't make money from them, so that's clearly not true. Finding employment isn't down to university solely, or even that much for most industries. It's down to the individual. I know people from Hull who've got very well regarded and lucrative grad offers, admittedly not in criminology though.

The reason they offer them is because students want to do them. While traditional subjects tend to be more respected by some employers, most students don't want to do them. Universities are all about trying to get more applicants and more students, so they tend to offer what people want. A bit like the way McDonalds is (IIRC) the world's biggest restaurant chain - it's what people want, even though it's crap (not that criminology is crap, but there are plenty of relatively worthless degrees around).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nally)
    I also know someone who recently completed a Physics PhD at Cambridge who cannot get a job for love nor money so I think the problems are more widespread than people think!
    Given the shortage of Physics teachers at the moment I find that hard to believe....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ttx)
    Given the shortage of Physics teachers at the moment I find that hard to believe....
    Maybe they don't want to be a teacher. Thought of that...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unknown demon)
    Maybe they don't want to be a teacher. Thought of that...
    "cannot get a job for love nor money" is considerably different from "cannot get a job out of my personal shortlist for love nor money". I'm perfectly aware they probably don't want to be a teacher because it's such an obvious job thay they're bound to have thought of it.

The point of my post was to imply that if they can't find a job then they're probably applying for jobs they're not qualified for.

ReputationRep:
    This may sound stupid, but if the OP had work expereince with Microsoft and got an award even (altho I wonder what MS has to do wih criminology), surely MS would welcome you back?

I know people from Hull who've got very well regarded and lucrative grad offers, admittedly not in criminology though.
    Indeed I know people who graduated there who got into IB

(Original post by ttx)
    Or he can go to Germany, they have a lack of 100 thousand engineers.

ReputationRep:
    i thought i'd throw my debate into the whole "lesser" vs "higher" unis debate on employment, and tbf i personally dont see it as being a issue. i go to UCL while my brother went to kingston we both did (or doing in my case) civil engineering and as soon as he left uni he found a job soon as. granted there may be a shortage of civil engineers now but hes got a job and his life couldnt get any better. i always feel that people that go to "better" unis almost look down as the people that may go to "lesser" ones, they seem to be the ones that proberly worked harder at a levels and think they are better then them!

in all honesty going to UCL may mean i may be on a higher salary then my brother in the first 5 years or so and perhaps bigger companies may look at me but overall i think we will both end up at the same level after we get our chartered status... the only think that really will seperate us then is my increasingly better looks that and i think i actually hate my course... wish i did something different but o well only 1 year to go!

EDIT: another point when my brother was going through clearance he was offered a place at nottingham (i think it was) but they said he would have to do a foundation year - not sure if they were offering a foundation year or he would have to do it someplace else but the point is a high ranked uni were offering to take him subject to a extra year which does almost prove that perhaps it doesnt make a difference where you go because there are other ways you can get into a top uni.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.