Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    You are ignoring valid complaints because you have realised the annual costs of building new ships is missing from this budget review, or from your defence review, and after spending a full week telling members to read the budget you declare you have not had time to read the budget; your standards are falling.
    I've spent a week telling members to read the budget? I haven't once told people to read the budget... I have told you several times in the last few days to go and read something you seem unwilling to go and read. And it must be news to you that you are now the only member left who spends all day every day on TSR, never going out, never seeing friends, never working.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    I've spent a week telling members to read the budget? I haven't once told people to read the budget... I have told you several times in the last few days to go and read something you seem unwilling to go and read. And it must be news to you that you are now the only member left who spends all day every day on TSR, never going out, never seeing friends, never working.
    No, you have told me to read the budget review because everything is in the budget review but you fail to tell me where in the budget review. For a member of the government who is known to scrutinise things, I would have expected you to scrutinise this budget. This exchange would be a lot easier if you accepted individual government departmental budgets have been left out of the budget, or you directed me to where the individual departmental budgets are in the budget.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Am I right in thinking that the huge increase in revenues is due to higher income taxation?

Also, please address the concerns raised previously.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    No, you have told me to read the budget review because everything is in the budget review but you fail to tell me where in the budget review. For a member of the government who is known to scrutinise things, I would have expected you to scrutinise this budget. This exchange would be a lot easier if you accepted individual government departmental budgets have been left out of the budget, or you directed me to where the individual departmental budgets are in the budget.
    I would scrutinise such things, buy unlike you I am in full time employment which takes most of the day away, and have these things called "manners" meaning I haven'tbeen sat being antisocial during my string of social events. All the information needed is on IIRC sheets two and three, which taken in conjunction with easy to find lists of RL departmental budgets lead to the final figures.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    £4.6 billion saving from abolishing BIS? I appreciate that calculating the saving from an economy of scale is virtually impossible with our resources but you could at least give us a clue as to what those economies are. Are government departments going to start sharing paper clips or something? Also, if you're delivering the majority of it's functions then which are you no longer delivering. The Department and it's partner organisations (like Companies House and Citizens Advice) together employ in the region of 16,000+ people. Will their jobs be protected or are their salaries where you're making your savings?
    Office-sharing (the BIS irl is currently undergoing a cutdown of sites, where it has something in the region of 80 offices which are significant in cost yet show little benefit from having so many sites), cutting some projects like Innovate UK, abolishing projects that promote business in a manner already undertaken by private organisations and harmonising IT infrastructure and administration will go a long way in cutting costs. If redundancies need to be made, then it will be done. It is not the job of this government to excessively pay for jobs which can be done more efficiently.

Scrapping the Christmas Bonus is going to hurt the most impoverished families. The TaxPayer's Alliance might not care much for the less fortunate but even they cite taxation as the reason why the Bonus is so helpful to people - taxation that this government isn't reducing.

The miscellaneous prison reforms, though a nice idea, are desperately underfunded given that refurbishment alone is though to cost £1.3 billion.

As has already been extensively explained, the policy to reduce tuition fees just for STEM subjects looks okay on paper but won't work. The government should join the Opposition in creating a fund for needs-based and academic scholarships for university students studying subjects deemed most valuable to the economy, as well as expanding the provision of technical apprenticeships.
    It is manifestly untrue that this government has not reduced taxation. Abolishing VAT on energy bills in itself, which are naturally higher during Christmas, goes a long way towards compensating for the end of the Christmas Bonus. With supermarket price wars and very low inflation, the affordability of Christmas is far greater than before.

I will need to check with the MoJ but regarding your source, this increased expenditure has already been accounted for in government spending. The £1.3 billion was already announced in the Spending Review by the RL government in 2015, and thus has been taken into consideration by the methodology in which this budget has been constructed. The TME is an adjustment of RL TME forecasts after accounting for TSR differences including the policies of this government. From what I can tell, this is additional funding for refurbishment, but the MoJ will set out their plans in more detail later.

Am I right in thinking that the huge increase in revenues is due to higher income taxation?

Also, please address the concerns raised previously.
    As detailed to Saoirse, the forecasts for income tax come from the RL projections of the OBR, accounting for differences in TSR if there are any. Where tax policy differs from RL, the growth rate in RL revenues per annum is also used to forecast revenues for each tax year. If tax revenue for xyz tax irl is forecasted to grow by a%, then tax revenues in the budget are also forecast to grow by a%. Of course this is by no means a perfect model, but I believe it is reasonable enough in the context of what we have available.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I would like to congratulate The Financier on producing a budget at all, even though it is quite belated.

The first thing I would like to point out is the length. For a budget report, something that should be the pièce de résistance of every Government, I feel this is somewhat on the short side. Especially in light of the fact this budget was later than it should have been, I am dissappointed. The length suggests it was thrown together in a hurry and shows a lack of effort from the Government.

For the health section, I am glad to see more money is being invested in mental health training but I would prefer to see some of the money put towards alcohol and drug abuse transferred to this push.

I disagree with the abolishment of the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills.

I don't believe any money should be spent on prison refurbishment and there is, it should only be to improve the conditions for the staff working there.

Although I am strongly in favour of lowering any tuition fees, as Snufkin has pointed out, the section about STEM in the budget is misleading.

In real life, the Tories really messed up the last lot of Christmas Bonuses and £10 does seem to be more than a token than anything meaningful. I would personally prefer for this money to be donated to homeless charities which are especially needed around Christmas.

I agree that overseas aid spending is slightly too much at the moment but I believe you are cutting it by too much.

The Department for Culture, Media and Sport section is wishy-washy. First of all, I think our museums are excellent and they do not need any further investment at the moment. Secondly, it does not specify which coastal regions will be rejuvinated. There are some that are past the point of no return.

I can't fault the Department for Communities and Local Government section.

The Defence section might as well not be there it's so vague and short.

Finally, Rakas said a week ago that the budget was being delayed because he hadn't done his section. Yet, the budget has been delayed and there is no sign of an infrastructure section whatsoever.

Taking these points into account, I oppose this budget.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    And one more thing, I don't like the figures being contained within a spreadsheet.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    :bump:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    And one more thing, I don't like the figures being contained within a spreadsheet.
    We don't like you. :dontknow:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    We don't like you. :dontknow:
    You're hilarious
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    This is in cessation
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    This is now awaiting a finance bill.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 14, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.