Being in a Psychiatric Hospital - Ask Me (Almost) Anything

Announcements

(Original post by Reality Check)
    Do you think this has 'marked' you somehow, indelibly?
    Marked, as in put on my record at Medical School or marked as in something that will always stick in the back of my mind?

ReputationRep:
    Are there many TSRians there?

(Original post by Treblebee)
    Are there many TSRians there?
    No clue, but I fail to see why you are asking this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usycool1)
    No clue, but I fail to see why you are asking this.
    ... nvm, I was just wondering...

(Original post by Treblebee)
    ... nvm, I was just wondering...
    Okay :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usycool1)
    Marked, as in put on my record at Medical School or marked as in something that will always stick in the back of my mind?
    Marked as in feeling that you've had a sticker put on you marked 'crazy'. Do you worry that no-matter what you do or how much better you feel, it's always going to be lurking around in the back of your mind, like having spilt milk on a car carpet - you can never quite get the smell out. I suppose it's a question about labelling, really.

As a supplementary question (if you don't mind) do you feel that it has affected the gamut of emotions you feel 'able' to feel. In that if you get down, you can't now pass it off as 'just a down day' because the inevitable question prompted in your mind is 'am I getting ill again?'.

ReputationRep:
    Might have already been asked, but I haven't read the whole thread: have you ever called an ambulance (or had one called for you) due to your mental health issues?

ReputationRep:
    does smoking too much nicotine cause
    psychiatrial
    problems ?

i am finding it hard to quit this smoking habit ...

(Original post by Reality Check)
    Marked as in feeling that you've had a sticker put on you marked 'crazy'. Do you worry that no-matter what you do or how much better you feel, it's always going to be lurking around in the back of your mind, like having spilt milk on a car carpet - you can never quite get the smell out. I suppose it's a question about labelling, really.
    Ah, fair enough!

It is a difficult but good question. For me personally, I don't consider myself to be 'marked' and the fact that I was taken into hospital is something that is hardly ever in my mind. I certainly don't consider myself to be 'crazy' for what happened.

I do appreciate, however, that others will probably (either consciously or subconsciously) end up putting that sticker on me if they realise what happened, and this is something that does bother me from time to time. I try not to let it bother me, but it is difficult when I am feeling low. A fair few people know of what has happened IRL and as far as I know, very few of them have 'marked' me like that and nor have they really started treating me differently to how they used to. I guess in some ways, this is advantageous in that it shows who my true, non-judgemental friends are and who are those who are not worth keeping. Of course, I won't deny that it hurts when people jump to conclusions but there's not much I can do in that situation but decide to let them be.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 10, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which is the best season?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.