PGCE Applicants 2017

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    Can somebody confirm to me the application dates for 2017 entry? They were previously available on the UCAS website under the "Key Dates" section but seem to have been removed and replaced with 2016 dates? Which is all very confusing... Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mariatrivota)
    I got a reply from Sheffield Uni that I need to write an IELTS exam again, as my IELTS is not valid for more than 2 years. I don't understand why I am required to write an IELTS with a 2:1 UK Masters' degree?!!! IT doesn't make sense.
    It's because your first language is not Englis and you don't have the GCSE English. I had the same matter but obviously, my writing score was 6 and they require 6.5 at least in each module, however, Huddersfield Uni accepted it as an equivalency to the GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/TeacherTraining1718/

There's a group for teacher training applicants for 2017 entry if people want to join

ReputationRep:
    When is everyone planning on submitting their application? :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anna.Karenina)
    When is everyone planning on submitting their application? :-)
    October or early November-I've already got the vast majority of my application sorted already as I applied last year too. Just need to ask for two references and then I'll be good to go

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by super_kawaii)
    October or early November-I've already got the vast majority of my application sorted already as I applied last year too. Just need to ask for two references and then I'll be good to go
    When do the first round of interviews usually take place? :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anna.Karenina)
    When do the first round of interviews usually take place? :-)
    I don't think there are "rounds" as such-just depends when you get your application in and when courses fill up.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, Ive already decided on my universities for 2017 PGCE entry but i am concerned to due the fact that they may all be different opening dates and therefore i might be waiting for one to reply. Obviously that would mean that my application would be slowed down eventually. I was wondering if anyone knows how to find out the opening dates for each university, just in case one is substantially later than the others. Good Luck and any help is appreciated. Thanks :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roisin6)
    I'm studying Biochemistry at the moment and am probably going to apply for Biology or Chemistry Secondary PGCE at Uni of Hertfordshire. I'd really like to apply for Maths but not sure I'd get in as my degree is science if anyone has any personal statement help I'd appreciate it!
    For science and in-demand subjects, go to the getintoteaching.gov.uk website and sign up for a personal advisor - he/she should be well-placed for advice on personal statements. Mine really helped me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlotteprott)
    Hi, Ive already decided on my universities for 2017 PGCE entry but i am concerned to due the fact that they may all be different opening dates and therefore i might be waiting for one to reply. Obviously that would mean that my application would be slowed down eventually. I was wondering if anyone knows how to find out the opening dates for each university, just in case one is substantially later than the others. Good Luck and any help is appreciated. Thanks :-)
    Have you checked UCASTT as everything will go through them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicistherapy1)
    Hi. I am hoping to go for French PGCE or in- school training..don't know which yet. I am a (Very) mature student and need a bursary or salary as I'll have to leave my job. Otherwise I can't do the course (not in a position to get a loan). French was a shortage subject in 2016-2017. Has anyone seen anything about funding for shortage subjects for 2017 yet ? Or is it way too early ? Cheers
    I suggest you register with the getintoteaching website for updates on bursaries.
    https://getintoteaching.education.go...alary/overview
    I am a very mature student too (A levels taken in 1985) and I am just starting ITT in secondary chemistry and the bursary had made all the difference - good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by super_kawaii)
    I think languages will always be a shortage subject, so the bursary will still stand at £25k for language trainees. However the payment schedules for the bursary are different to when fees will be required by the uni, (fees to be paid in three payments, whereas the bursary will be paid monthly), so funding for the first fee payment at least will have to be obtained from elsewhere
    Yes - I thought (naively) that the tuition fees would be deducted from the bursary but - no - nothing so sensible. So I have taken out a tuition fee loan and will save up money out of the bursary to pay it back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VelmaStaplebot)
    Have you checked UCASTT as everything will go through them?
    Yes but it only has information about 2016 entry and says to research into the application dates for each university. I have researched but so far all of the universities im applying for have given incredibly vague anwers.

I am apply for early years at Birmingham, Cambridge and Warwick so if anyone knows the dates for these universities it would be incredibly valuable.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    www.facebook.com/groups/TeacherTraining1718/

ReputationRep:
    I think the opening day for UCAS was the 18th of October for teacher training last time I looked if that's any help

ReputationRep:
    I'm planning to apply for early years though currently unsure whether to apply for 2017 or 2018 entry! I've got 7 months experience of working in a nursery (full time) and will have more by the time I start, but I'm working towards my NVQ level 2 which will be finished by then also. Would I be better off waiting until I have my level 3 or will it not matter either way?

I volunteer at Brownies and occasionally volunteer at junior parkrun, I have also volunteered at a homework club for children aged 10-16 for about 7 months so have other experience besides nursery.

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone. I'm a Biomed student at UoS planning to apply for secondary biology at Leeds and York. I've just finished my first draft of my PS. Do you think 10 days school exp is sufficient? I've also worked at a youth club for 3+ years and have mentored at uni but don't have enough space in my PS to demonstrate this

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody know if you can defer entry once you have a place?

And how does the Schools Direct admissions process work? Do schools get more of a say?

ReputationRep:
    Hi everybody!
    I have just emailed loads of school in order to arrange some School Experience since the School Experience programme is not currently available.

One HOD just replied me that she would be happy to have me in but before I need to arrange a DBS check. I understood only an employer can I ask for your DBS check, is it correct? Otherwise, what can I do in order to ask for one? The get into teaching website?

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, I'm currently in the process of applying to UCL's IoE for the PGCE Language course for Secondary years. I literally just signed up to TSR five minutes ago so apologises for the rookie message.I just wanted to know if there were any other applicants out there or trainees who are currently undertaking the language pgce - and if so, would anyone be able to advise me on what to do for a successful application/what is expected if successful/interview questions usually asked regarding Language/Presentation and so on. Basically, the lot.I'd really appreciate any responses!Thanks a bunch.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 7, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.