Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdeptDz)
    Lool, thanks I guess.. No problem anyway but next time just try be less confrontational

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Will do brother. See you tomorrow.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Harold Godwinson)
    Will do brother. See you tomorrow.
    Bye

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    I said there's pretty much no way for me to hate it, I've heard the horror stories and it doesn't faze me. Already had to pull pretty stupid hours running a tech company based in the US whilst going to school at the same time.

So unfortunately, your assumption that I feel like I would 'hate' the career is quite off.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You misunderstand, I'm not assuming anything at all! I'm only asking why you are committed to doing it no matter what, even if (IF) when you actually start the career you realise you hate it.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Abstract_Prism)
    You misunderstand, I'm not assuming anything at all! I'm only asking why you are committed to doing it no matter what, even if (IF) when you actually start the career you realise you hate it.
    only reasons I can think of are:
    -money
    -exit opportunities
    -experience
    -networking

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Abstract_Prism)
    Ahh, I see. Sorry for the misunderstanding, I didn't really get much sleep and Harold here has slightly pissed me off.

Of course, if I did truly despise it I would find some other career to go down and as stated before there are various roles one can transfer into where the pressure is less intense and the hours are reduced. It's not a binary decision of do banking, or don't, because for a lot of people 2-3 years of banking is all they need to get access to a job where their interests are more aligned, or where they can make use of the network (most people leave and go onto other things, you can tap into them) and any money saved to start their own venture.

It's a great launchpad and for those who are cut out for it, long term career. But if you really don't see the value in it, it would make more sense to do a job where the value proposition works out better. Personally, the 'do what you love' ideal isn't what I subscribe to because you're not going to love every job out there. But if you're interested in it, have the skills to do well and can see clear growth opportunities - go ahead.

It's all about trade-offs in the end, we all have to make them.

Just something to add: a lot of my close friends DO genuinely hate working in banking but they still stick it out for the first 1-3 years because the opportunities opened up afterwards are great.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harold Godwinson)
    Ok, not the best word to use for IB I'll admit lol. Peoples ambitions then, what right has this pie dude got to declare himself expert and take his word as the word of the King, everyone else is wrong but me! HaHaHa (scary evil villain laugh). You get the idea, haha. But how can this guy know anything if he hasn't even been in the industry before, he's a university student for Godsake!
    he knows more than a lot of ppl, research/statistics and reliable sources does that to you

ReputationRep:
    uh huh, grandiose? Examples?

Yh, this whole 'it's not as good as it was in the 80s/90s' from someone who's probably not even old enough to remember any of that period is, rhetoric.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Grandiose as in the expected narratives of sliding cleanly into the high-bonus, strip-club, millionaire lifestyle. That lifestyle still exists but it's a lot rarer these days in investment banks, I thought this was common knowledge.

And what a bizarre point, obviously I don't remember personally, how does that mean you can't gain any knowledge of the very recent history of banking? Do you not read books? Or talk with people who were there? You sound offended, is getting wealthy in IB your cherished dream or something?

[Distasteful use of word 'rhetoric'. Minor point]

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Giotto)
    Grandiose as in the expected narratives of sliding cleanly into the high-bonus, strip-club, millionaire lifestyle. That lifestyle still exists but it's a lot rarer these days in investment banks, I thought this was common knowledge.

And what a bizarre point, obviously I don't remember personally, how does that mean you can't gain any knowledge of the very recent history of banking? Do you not read books? Or talk with people who were there? You sound offended, is getting wealthy in IB your cherished dream or something?

[Distasteful use of word 'rhetoric'. Minor point]

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Lol, who expects any of that anymore? I don't think anyone wold expect a high bonus because bonuses at the end of the day are performance related and tied to seniority. There aren't any superstar young bankers making lots of money early anymore.

Even stepping into an investment bank nowadays is like going into any old place of work, you're more likely to find nerdy types than the so called 'strip-club millionaire lifestyle' individuals.

There's a difference between reading the news and personally knowing bankers , one is usually distorted and mangled to fit an agenda the other is someone who's in the thick of it all. Afaia, jobs don't make people 'wealthy', having equity (in your own company or someone else's) or a significant stake on large deals does.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Lol, who expects any of that anymore? I don't think anyone wold expect a high bonus because bonuses at the end of the day are performance related and tied to seniority. There aren't any superstar young bankers making lots of money early anymore.

Even stepping into an investment bank nowadays is like going into any old place of work, you're more likely to find nerdy types than the so called 'strip-club millionaire lifestyle' individuals.

There's a difference between reading the news and personally knowing bankers , one is usually distorted and mangled to fit an agenda the other is someone who's in the thick of it all. Afaia, jobs don't make people 'wealthy', having equity (in your own company or someone else's) or a significant stake on large deals does.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Why are you telling me what I've just been saying to you? Yes I know.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I could say the exact same to you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I could say the exact same to you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    ...no you couldn't. I haven't been telling you back what you've just told me. You are pretty dim.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    ...no you couldn't. I haven't been telling you back what you've just told me. You are pretty dim.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Likewise, you're also quite dim.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

Posted from TSR Mobile
    but to expand, you telling everyone on here it's 'not like the 80s/90s' is telling people what they already know. You were stating the obvious, congrats however on stooping to ad hominems

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Likewise, you're also quite dim.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Could you have written a worse response?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Could you have written a worse response?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Could you? This conversation has boiled down into redundancy now so not sure why you're keeping it going.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Because he's trying to backtrack the fact he doesn't know the dynamics of modern banking. Reading his posts reminds me of a pint-sized Wolf of Wall Street.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh, I see. Sorry for the misunderstanding, I didn't really get much sleep and Harold here has slightly pissed me off.

Of course, if I did truly despise it I would find some other career to go down and as stated before there are various roles one can transfer into where the pressure is less intense and the hours are reduced. It's not a binary decision of do banking, or don't, because for a lot of people 2-3 years of banking is all they need to get access to a job where their interests are more aligned, or where they can make use of the network (most people leave and go onto other things, you can tap into them) and any money saved to start their own venture.

It's a great launchpad and for those who are cut out for it, long term career. But if you really don't see the value in it, it would make more sense to do a job where the value proposition works out better. Personally, the 'do what you love' ideal isn't what I subscribe to because you're not going to love every job out there. But if you're interested in it, have the skills to do well and can see clear growth opportunities - go ahead.

It's all about trade-offs in the end, we all have to make them.

Just something to add: a lot of my close friends DO genuinely hate working in banking but they still stick it out for the first 1-3 years because the opportunities opened up afterwards are great.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So you are primarily doing IB for the money reasons then? No surprise there judging by your words. You think if you just tuff it out for a few years you'll get all these great important contacts? Doesn't work like that bud, you're not in their inner circle, their quite funny about who they work with. My guess is judging by your words, you're banking on becoming some multimillionaires private investor/accountant. Not like there's a million of those already.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.