The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
thefish_uk
Heheh,

You live in Northfield in termtime? That's not far from my school... I have friends in Northfield.

If you use the buses enough to complain about that, get a bus pass :biggrin:

I lived in Northfield in term time this year, yeah (Manor House). I did have a bus pass, for the first two terms.. but there wasn't much need for one in the last term, cos I wasn't going in every day. Living in Selly Oak next year, so I'll be walking in every day.
Cossack
if you think thats bad try coming to Moscow - disability is still seen by many here as a curse on the wicked!!! The disabled access is not existant and my grandad couldnt even get insurance to visit us becasue the company said it was too risky for disabled travellers to come here...

:frown:

I always fancied moscow....
Reply 82
KateD
Re-delurking in order to profess love for London, but to also say other cities are good too. It's not the be all and end all.

At the moment, I'd prefer to be there though. Why? The music.

I realise you all appear to be RnB type people but The Barfly in Camden, Mean Fiddler etc. are all pretty good. Rhythm Factory has got some good stuff on at the moment.

And the bands...Libertines (obviously), The Others, The Cribs, Special Needs etc. etc. It's thriving. It's fantastic. Yay.

(and for the record - no one move to Reading. ever. just don't.)

my best friends band performed in barfly :smile: - proud moment :tongue:
Reply 83
rod

- get offered 'girls, girls' or 'weed, weed' by black guys wherever you go

QUOTE]

i have to say in the 18years ive visited london i have never once been offered girls or weed?! and thats even in the completely shite parts
u cant deny london is the place to be :tongue:
icklehc
i have to say in the 18years ive visited london i have never once been offered girls or weed?! and thats even in the completely shite parts u cant deny london is the place to be
Perhaps because you're a girl? :rolleyes:
Reply 85
thefish_uk
Perhaps because you're a girl? :rolleyes:

yeh but i havent bene offered weed....i feel safer in london than in the little town i live in in surrey. only recently a kid got stabbed to death. i know it happens alot in big cities like london but theres too many good things about london. the bad things just cant balance them out
4Ed
some londoners are ok when u ask for help. u just have to hand pick your victims :cool: :tongue:

why were you up at 7am HS dear? it's the holidays isn't it?

Yeah, some usually the nice foreign folk :tongue:

7am, um, I could hear the television from like loads of rooms away in my bedroom and my door which was being open several times has an annoying loud chime. :tongue: Not sure you wanted to know that? :tongue:
London is only comparable to New York. Nothing else comes close.

With regards to clubs and bars... I like the following:-

Café de Paris
Fabric
Fridge Bar
Tantra
Funky Buddha
Zoo Bar

I can't think of any more off hand, but there's loads of cool bars in Covent Garden etc.
Reply 88
icklehc
yeh but i havent bene offered weed....i feel safer in london than in the little town i live in in surrey. only recently a kid got stabbed to death. i know it happens alot in big cities like london but theres too many good things about london. the bad things just cant balance them out

im not sure. theres always a lot of trouble around certain areas. im not sure people there see the bright side of london

but as a londoner, i must say i would help anyone with directions or whatever. although expect not to get as much as a glance if you need some help. people just dont want to get involved.
fishpaste
I think Manchester can seriously compete in terms of things to do, with its music scene, general club scene, shops, architecture, and general significance in the country. And similarly Birmingham compares to London for sheer size. But I don't really think other than those two have a chance.

That's b*llocks - and I should know. Brum can't touch London.
Reply 90
mobbdeeprob
That's b*llocks - and I should know. Brum can't touch London.

Lol okay, fair enough, I'm certainly not gonna argue Brum's side =P
fishpaste
Lol okay, fair enough, I'm certainly not gonna argue Brum's side =P

Manc can't really compete with London either.

I'm surprised at just how big the place is, Brum and Manc each have a few pockets in the city with fairly high concentrations of clubs.

London has loads of clubs all over, there are probably several more clubs in South London than in the whole of Brum - Shoreditch and Greenwich could easily form a medium UK city's club scene by themselves.
Reply 92
mobbdeeprob - if you didn't see my post on the albums thread, Wu Tang were at the Apollo last Thursday and Friday. Friday was terrible.
Nylex
mobbdeeprob - if you didn't see my post on the albums thread, Wu Tang were at the Apollo last Thursday and Friday. Friday was terrible.

You went?!

I actually suspected as much! Let me guess - loads of them didn't turn up, or they performed a pathetically short set?
Reply 94
mobbdeeprob
Manc can't really compete with London either.

I'm surprised at just how big the place is, Brum and Manc each have a few pockets in the city with fairly high concentrations of clubs.

London has loads of clubs all over, there are probably several more clubs in South London than in the whole of Brum - Shoreditch and Greenwich could easily form a medium UK city's club scene by themselves.
I'd beg to differ. The Manchester scene could easily be seen as the most influential and notorious in England, surely?

You're probably right that I as a practical foreigner to London don't grasp the sheer scale of it, but I find it difficult to imagine you could want anymore than Manchester provided? It's like you name a type and there's probably several dozen venues devoted to that.
fishpaste
I'd beg to differ. The Manchester scene could easily be seen as the most influential and notorious in England, surely?

You're probably right that I as a practical foreigner to London don't grasp the sheer scale of it, but I find it difficult to imagine you could want anymore than Manchester provided? It's like you name a type and there's probably several dozen venues devoted to that.

I'm not casting doubt on the influence of cities like Brum and Manc on the wider UK club scene, but in terms of sheer scale, they can't really mix it (excuse the terrible pun :biggrin: ) with London at all.

In Brum: go to Broad Street>>Inner Brum>>Digbeth - and you have covered 97% of the city's important nightspots.
Go into three areas of London, and there's simply no way that you could lay claim to such a statistic!

As for whether all these options are necessary for your average student, that's debatable - especially when you factor in prices!
Reply 96
mobbdeeprob
I'm not casting doubt on the influence of cities like Brum and Manc on the wider UK club scene, but in terms of sheer scale, they can't really mix it (excuse the terrible pun :biggrin: ) with London at all.

In Brum: go to Broad Street>>Inner Brum>>Digbeth - and you have covered 97% of the city's important nightspots.
Go into three areas of London, and there's simply no way that you could lay claim to such a statistic!

As for whether all these options are necessary for your average student, that's debatable - especially when you factor in prices!

Hmm, I think the statistic for central manchester is about 500 venues in the centre, then there's all the Didsburys etc where people go for a night out in the suburbs. Must be getting on for 1000. I don't think anybody could claim they'd covered the critical nightspots in a few days.
Reply 97
London is the capital of the country! Of course it's going to be bigger!
Manchester - brill city! :biggrin:
Reply 98
mobbdeeprob
You went?!

I actually suspected as much! Let me guess - loads of them didn't turn up, or they performed a pathetically short set?

Yes, I went. It was both actually.. there were only 5 of them there (I think).. Meth was one of the missing ones. They performed for about an hour and 15 mins. Doors opened at 7, they came on at 10. Before that was generic beats, Dizzee Rascal (and someone else), Lil Flip (and someone else) and some songs by other artists. Very disappointing.

Edit: Just seen on their site that apparently, all of them were there except Meth and ODB (ODB can't leave the US cos of his parole or something). I didn't have a good view though and their set was still too short.
Reply 99
Well if we are counting Greater Manchester as Manchester (which we have to other wisw London is a tiny city with a population of just 10,000) then there are clubs in the city centre, stockport, bury, oldham, rochdale etc.

There is much further walk from the clubs in London, in Manchester city centre they are all within walk of each other, in fact 650 premises in the city which have a licence to sell alchohol inside the building (i.e not an off licence).

Lets not forget that Manchester had Europe's first superclub with the Hacienda which opened in 1982.

Manchester also has 100,000 students living whithin a 6 mile radius which means it has a great clubbing scence. There is more students in Manchester than any other city (even London).

Latest

Trending

Trending