Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Excellent!! {doesn't even bother with the finger thing}

ReputationRep:
    Besides, Cambridge is a much better name than Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faboba)
    Besides, Cambridge is a much better name than Oxford.
    Hmm, water features...

ReputationRep:
    It's funny, because I was discussing the names with my mum in the middle of a Safeway carpark yesterday. I think Oxford just sounds a much posher name. Cambridge is a rather ordinary place name. But Oxford has an x in it! Just try pronouncing them both with a posh voice on. It's so much easier with Oxford

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RxB)
    Hmm, water features...
    What...a ford or a bridge?

Most people think of Oxford as a posher place than Cambridge...hence the "Oxford" accent. But a few royals did go to Cambridge, and they weren't exactly bright enough to, so we're not out of the clear either.

ReputationRep:
    I'll admit I always think of it as posher than Cam. Possibly because I don't like it much and I want to think it's posher

ReputationRep:
    Well, you still have to wear formal dress to exams at Oxford. I think if you did it at Cam, you'd get a few strange looks.

ReputationRep:
    Good old lucky t-shirt

ReputationRep:
    A long time ago, we were allowed to bring stuffed mascots into school exams (teddies or whatever). I had an absolutely giant panda I insisted on bringing with me...the school actually had to change the rules so that I wasn't allowed to do it any more. (It wasn't harming anyone!)

ReputationRep:
    Well I guess it could have been a bit distracting.
    For my physics exam I was such a mess (feeling ill) that my mum made me take my teddy bear and hide him in my bag He thought it was a great adventure

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, people kept laughing and pointing at it...meanies.

Does your teddy bear talk to you? I never found one that did!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acaila)
    Cambridge is a rather ordinary place name. But Oxford has an x in it! Just try pronouncing them both with a posh voice on. It's so much easier with Oxford
    Clearly you haven't mastered the Cambridge accent yet

ReputationRep:
    My teddy is special. He's a very talkative little fella! (I even got a card from my parents and they got him to sign it!)

He's from the Bear Factory so he's got a birth certificate and everything!
    (He was a valentines day present from "his Dada" )

ReputationRep:
    hey...just wanna ask smth from you ppl that seem to know Cam colleges etc.

If i get A's in: Physics, Further Maths, Chemistry and Biology A Level and plus a Mechanics AS will i stand a chance of getting in a college such as
    Emma, Trinity, Christ's or Gonville and Caius?
    :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cerebrum_core)

If i get A's in: Physics, Further Maths, Chemistry and Biology A Level and plus a Mechanics AS will i stand a chance of getting in a college such as
    Of course. If you are good enough you'll get in, whatever the college.

But beware, all those A's won't guarantee you admission! I got 5 As at AS, predicted 5As, and straight rejection . Oh well, stupidly competitive law I guess.

ReputationRep:

its harder to get into those sorts of colleges but you stand more chance of getting pooled somewhere. remember everyone who applies pretty much is predicted a string of As. No matter how well you do with your a=levels you arent guarenteed a place at anywhere

ReputationRep:

i don't know if there's much of a distinction between a more competitive and a less competitive college. because i would add pembroke to that gang of four, and then why not john's, and then king's ... before you know it you've got the entire tompkins table

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phishfood)
    i don't know if there's much of a distinction between a more competitive and a less competitive college. because i would add pembroke to that gang of four, and then why not john's, and then king's ... before you know it you've got the entire tompkins table
    My impression is that it's all really random. Admissions across the university dropped this year, but admissions to Sidney went up by 10% meaning that some subjects had 8 or 9 applicants per place. Whether this absurd increase was due to our ever-declining position in the Tompkins Table or the hard work of our admissions staff I'm not sure...! In all cases it's best to apply to a college you love and trust them to pool you if you're good enough for Cambridge but they don't have enough room to take you themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zip it123)
    As u can see by the other thread ppl have been rejected outright with 10A*s or pooled with 10A*s. GCSEs alone don't guarantee anything....that said...at somewhere like Fitzwilliam GCSES may be a better differentiator since they do not recieve the sort of candidates as the colleges u listed do (or they do not receive the sheer volume of impressive candidates that e.g. Emma does. Therfore it will probably be easier for u to stand out there then it is at Christs/Trinity/Emma
    I agree that stronger candidates apply to Emma, Trinity etc, but I'm not sure if I agree that you dont need to be as good academically to get into other colleges. If you look at it from admission tutors' point of view, they know that there are going to be good candidates who 'just' missed out on places and were put in the pool from other colleges. If you're not good enough, you're not going to get in wherever you apply, and someone who wouldn't impress the admissions tutor at, say, Emma, won't impress the admissions tutor at, say, Newhall.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zip it123)
    becasue john's really isnt as competitve as the stats make out (this is shown in the Tompkins table where they do not do very well....i.e. they may have the number of candidates but not the quality that the big 4 recieve)
    at our school half the cambridge science applicants went for john's. they can't all have been wrong. and notwithstanding how easily colleges move up or down the Tompkins table since its so close between any two colleges, john's do not generally do badly. the last time christ's was top, john's was two places behind

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.