Turn on thread page Beta

****** - the Dog from Dambusters watch

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Its very silly to edit that word. They don't edit that word from other films, in Die Hard 3 (which I have seen on channel 4) they say they word printed on a billboard.
    I saw a show on channel 5 about comedy, they were banging on about Chris Rock and his 'I hate *******' show.

Its a classic film, and its not even being used in a racist way. If you don't already know what ****** is, or how it was used, your not going to suddenly start shouting it at black people in the street because you watched a black and white film about the RAF which happens to have a dog in it.

The film is VERY historically accurate, and should not be changed just to protect the PC crowd.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Libertin du Nord)
    The Dambusters, an absolute classic of a film, was aired by Channel 4 today.

As has happened before, C4 choose to do some (very sloppy) editing to remote the word '******' - which was the dog's (a black labrador) name.

Am I the only one this strikes as odd? During live concerts, it seems perfectly acceptable to use any degree of swearing on the BBC - it happened at Live Earth and it's happened many times before. Your average recent gritty film is likely to have damn-near every offensive term imaginable in it.

Meanwhile Dambusters, an innocent product of its time, finds itself censored. Really, who in his right mind would object to the film being shown in its entirety?
    As a black male I can comment with some experience of these matters.

As a young child I grew up in a predominantly white area in Liverpool where I was surrounded by families with dogs called ******, Sambo, Wog ......

The other children took great delight in shouting these names across me and subsequently explaining that they were merely calling out a dog's name.

I find the term abusive - it is specifically designed to be so - irrespective of what race decides to utter it.

However, the true horrors of abuse are far worse and more lasting than any single word could ever be - you may be better off getting your bouncing bum off the couch and go down the pub.

ReputationRep:
    Sambo is a racist term?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trigger)
    Sambo is a racist term?
    supposedly an ethnic person living in this country, meh

ReputationRep:
    ^o) i have never heard that term used in that way before

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forté)
    supposedly an ethnic person living in this country, meh
    I have never heard this usage either. Sort of like gringo then, I suppose, not really offensive, but it could be used in such a manner.

ReputationRep:
    Haven't heard it for decades, but yes, it was used back in the 70s

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 22, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.